Harpers role play?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Nemain

Harpers role play?

Post by Nemain » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:48 pm

Alright, I've been reading around and... There is one prestige class, in particular, whose RP eludes me. I'm interested in playing one, for one of my characters, but... Don't even know where to begin with. So, I'm turning to the community for advise on... The Harpers.

From what I understand of them, the Harpers have the feature of being able to tell, via *looks*, who is and who is not one of them... Correct? But... How about -before- that? Becoming a Harper, unlike an Assassin, and even a Pale Master, isn't something you just investigate about, choose you want to be, then learn and become- on your own if needed: it's a society. And one whose members and actions aim to remain unknown.

With other prestige classes, or classes in general, I'd consider a good way of gaining RP toward that class (or a start, maybe?) to seek out a board where your notice will be likely to be seen but not hunted down for it, and post up a request for an instructor/mentor/etcetera... A novice attempting to contact the Harpers, though, would have the problem of having to be able to explain why and how their character would know of them (even if it's an agent but not a Harper... An agent from who? From where? Why would the Harpers from another area send a new agent, instead of trusting the ones in Arelith with seeking their own out?). Also... A novice commiting the secrecy blunder of posting up a notice directed to the Harpers would sooner draw them -away- from their person than attract their interaction.... Correct?

Then, there's the option of recruitment- which I'm hitting, once again, a new wall with: if the Harpers were to be happening to scout out for a new member for their own... What would draw their attention toward someone in particular? From the PrC requirements and Code, one can tell a set of qualities all Harpers appear to possess, in a degree or another: They aren't evil, they aren't oathsworn to someone else, they don't seek out power for themselves, they seek to learn of the past and tend to put the needs of the many ahead of those of themselves, as well as defending both nature and civilized world alike, seeking a balance between the two...

While all these qualities are great, there are quite a few people in the island (PCs + NPCs together), and even if we only count the player characters, the adventurers... Isn't the lion's share of the more easily noticeable traits of a Harper, precisely something a great majority of non-evil adventurers share, themselves?

So.... Yes: if any player, be it with a current, or past Harper, could give me some tips about RPing a character who out to be "on the right track" for one day becoming a Harper, be it here or via PMs.... I'd be grateful: they look interesting, but I just don't know where to start.

Orian_666

Re: Harpers role play?

Post by Orian_666 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:09 am

As far as i'm aware the *looks* checks for a harper token (its something needed by DMs before you are allowed take levels in the class), so as long as you apply for the token and have it in your inventory while you work your way to taking levels in the class then other harpers should be able to spot you.

Nemain

Post by Nemain » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:19 am

Interesting... Is that a thing, then? Can a character that's intended to become a Harper (but is not ICly nor mechanically yet), receive this token? That's considered a Harper pin ICly, however, right? Would have to be at least already an Agent from off the isle coming to Arelith instead, then?

Or someone a Harper gave the pin to, presumably as a memento? I could possibly see one of the most chaotic Harpers doing that and just being confident that another will properly teach the new recruit when they see them... Then again, I'm hardly the most lore-savvy person out there, so... Any thoughts on this?

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:37 am

The quote below is from the wiki, but the following segment is my personal opinion and interpretation of Harpers.
Harpers may be a bit unlawful in how they go about doing their job, but they are very passionate about their job, and doing things such as handing off the pin or getting someone a pin before their time seems against the spirit of the Harper's Code to me.

The pin is more than just a sign they are a part of the organization, It's a mark on the wearer. It's a way to know who you can trust and who you can ask for help with something. In a sense, it's a silent and hidden form of communication. It's power.
' Harpers work against villainy and wickedness wherever they find it, but they work ever mindful of the consequences of what they do.
All beings should walk free of fear, with the right to live their lives as they wish.
The rule of law aids peace and fosters freedom, so long as the laws are just and those who enforce them lenient and understanding.
No extreme is good. For freedom to flourish, all must be in balance: the powers of realms, the reaches of the cities and the wilderlands into each other, and the influence of one being over another.
Whatever it takes, a Harper will do. Pride never rules the deeds of a true Harper.
Freedom is a multiversal right, though Harpers can spare themselves less freedom than those they work to protect when the need presents itself.
Harpers police their own. A Harper who hears the call of personal power can no longer hear the sweet song of the harp. A Harper who seizes power, and holds it above all else, is a traitor to the harp. Traitors must die for freedom to live.
Without a past, no being can appreciate what they have, and where they may be going"

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:30 am

Nemain wrote:Or someone a Harper gave the pin to, presumably as a memento? I could possibly see one of the most chaotic Harpers doing that and just being confident that another will properly teach the new recruit when they see them... Then again, I'm hardly the most lore-savvy person out there, so... Any thoughts on this?
This actually happened to one of my previous characters. He was an LN tiefling mage who was nominally on team good, and did work with them frequently, but tended to butt heads over methods because he just Couldn't Stop torturing people for really minor offenses, and was just generally a terrible person. An acquaintance of his was dying of plague, and granted said mage his harper pin. The mage then went on to learn a little bit more about being a Harper, decided most of their beliefs were nonsense but remained in the guild using their methods to his own ends and semi-leading them for a good while.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 am

How Verankht deceived Nelehein.

My Harper got the token, without any interaction with existing Harpers, because I justified it to the DM(s) at the time. It's like any other prestige class.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:12 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:How Verankht deceived Nelehein.

My Harper got the token, without any interaction with existing Harpers, because I justified it to the DM(s) at the time. It's like any other prestige class.
+1, you don't need to actually find a harper to get the token. They will find you.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:50 am

Dalenger wrote:+1, you don't need to actually find a harper to get the token. They will find you.
yes...yes they will, cause they are always watching.

Oh, just make sure you meet the requirements then contact the DM's via forum.
Not a Harper

Nemain

Post by Nemain » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:16 am

Thank you everyone- with your answers here, in PM and tells, I've a better idea how this particular RP goes andd have been able to get a better feel of my character.