Small quality of life changes

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

susitsu

Re: Small quality of life changes

Post by susitsu » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:41 am

gilescorey wrote:
susitsu wrote:Well, then you've got a race that starts with three languages. You wanna give up Animal Language, man?
In fairness, drow start with four, duergar start with three, svirf start with three, and so do kobolds and goblins (three languages as well). All that'd do is put gnolls in line w/ all the other underdark races.
Hmm. I have touched like none of those races, so I didn't even think about that. Yeah, honestly, very fair point. I do find the whole 'they aren't actually an UD race thing' to be a pretty strong one to stand by, but that reasoning really makes me have to think about the ECL all the races take on or the negatives they suffer. Statically speaking, that's probably what needs to be taken into mind.

But I do think it's a reasonable argument that the Arelith gnolls after the servers been running for what, a hundred IC years, would have integrated Undercommon into their languages.

Still not sure how I feel about it. I have no idea how balanced they are compared to each other.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:42 pm

Other outcast races don't get under common automatically, and gnolls are an outcast race not an underdarker race. I would rather see gnolls get something like orc-sh in addition instead.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:45 pm

By "outcast races" do you mean humans and half-orcs who select the outcast background?

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:49 pm

Lorkas wrote:By "outcast races" do you mean humans and half-orcs who select the outcast background?
I do yes. Where as gnolls are unique in the sense they're all an auto-outcast race. But they are not an underdarker race. Is a reason why at one point they required 20 rpr.

It is also worth noting they used to have heir own starting area right underneath stone hold before they flooded pit town.

So gnolls only been living in aundor what thirty years tops?
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Montaugh

Post by Montaugh » Sat May 14, 2016 11:43 am

Add to the journal's page about gold restriction on items notes about when gear can be used.
Example... (not based on actual gameplay as I don't feel like looking it up atm)
Level 3 5000 gold, +1 weapons/armors/shields
level 15 150,000 gp Mith armor with 5/- essence, Masterly Damask Weapons.

Basically just a quick indicator for the commonly used items so players know at a glance what they can use by what levels would be a nice quality of life feature.

Silverrock

Post by Silverrock » Sat May 14, 2016 12:17 pm

I've noticed a lot of resources around Cordor proper are a bit less than what they used to. Three sand deposits and four coal deposits that used to be easily accessible for low level characters are gone. Getting some of them back would help low level resource gathering RP and provide a way for such to make needed money at that level.
"If you're (finding excuses to kill people) I will find you and destroy you..." -DM Watchtower

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sun May 15, 2016 1:58 am

Montaugh wrote:Add to the journal's page about gold restriction on items notes about when gear can be used.
Example... (not based on actual gameplay as I don't feel like looking it up atm)
Level 3 5000 gold, +1 weapons/armors/shields
level 15 150,000 gp Mith armor with 5/- essence, Masterly Damask Weapons.
We've actually discussed this before. The plan was simply to add level requirements to an item's description if you don't meet the requirement.

It simply hasn't been done yet because, well. Lots of things to do.

Montaugh

Post by Montaugh » Mon May 23, 2016 5:12 pm

When using a resource chest to sell to a settlement have it count the items in the bag as being sold. ie putiting a hunting bag full of meat/hides should count those meats/hides as for sale.

Alternatively when removing items from the bags have them remove in stacks rather than single counts.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat May 28, 2016 8:17 am

Add an option to Speedy Messengers to send a message to all members of a faction currently online.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun May 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Potions stack up to 99

Convention of Blades

Post by Convention of Blades » Sun May 29, 2016 8:19 pm

Make magic staffs small. Please.

It's purely aesthetic. I'd rather have my kobold sorcerer use a magic staff with a ruby on its tip than a mace while using a shield.
Bashagain wrote: "Daltanius is not a virgin!" Screeched the lying pillar of skulls - now with one less skull. The celibate knight sighed, silently lamenting the truth that he was still a twenty-eight-year-old virgin under a vow of chastity.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun May 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Ork wrote:Potions stack up to 99
I'd rather not see characters with decent strength carry around literal thousands of potions without much trouble.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon May 30, 2016 3:36 am

We already have characters with or without decent strength carrying around literally thousands of uses of wands. Is it balance or inventory realism that bothers you about that idea?

Thera

Post by Thera » Mon May 30, 2016 4:08 am

Ork wrote:Potions stack up to 99
To use or to appraise scum to NPCs?
"Arelith isn't about fun - It's about math, and WINNING"

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon May 30, 2016 5:54 am

Eh, there will be limits on that soon, and they have to be split to sell them anyway, which is the part of the process that takes the longest tome by far. I don't think appraise runs are going to be affected by a change in potion stacking, or at least not for long.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon May 30, 2016 10:10 am

Lorkas wrote:We already have characters with or without decent strength carrying around literally thousands of uses of wands. Is it balance or inventory realism that bothers you about that idea?
Largely balance, the fact that wands don't stack at all and potions only stack in 10 means that you actually have to sacrifice a fair bit of inventory space to have the full cavalcade of buffs and cures on you at all times.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon May 30, 2016 10:17 am

In general potions aren't going to allow you to have that full set of buffs ever, since there are far fewer PC potion makers than wand makers, and wands allow for an entire extra level worth of spells.

The inventory space issue is less of a balancing factor and more of an annoyance--the exact kind of change we were asked to propose in this thread.

If we want to have a wands vs potions balance discussion on anther thread, I'm confident that consensus would be that wands are stronger. That's not the point of this thread though.

furryn

Post by furryn » Mon May 30, 2016 11:15 am

Can magic staffs be made "offhandable", able to be wielded in the offhand?

I can understand if the answer is no, due to something about then being able to wield some crazy wild weapon in the main hand. but it would be somewhat nice to see my character capable of carrying his staff in the offhand though.
- The need to utter the words "I'm not stupid" implies the opposite.
How do i know? Well, obviously because I'm not stupid.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon May 30, 2016 11:22 am

I don't know how possible that is in the game engine. Typically, if you use scripting to equip an item to a slot it doesn't belong, it'll cause client crashes.

Besides, you won't see the weapon in combat. Only the staff. :(

furryn

Post by furryn » Mon May 30, 2016 11:32 am

JediMindTrix wrote:I don't know how possible that is in the game engine. Typically, if you use scripting to equip an item to a slot it doesn't belong, it'll cause client crashes.

Besides, you won't see the weapon in combat. Only the staff. :(
Aww... Just looked here and thought it might be possible: http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_staff

as it says:
NwN Wiki wrote:Magic staves cannot be wielded in the off-hand without using a modified baseitems.2da.
But that might be a hak instead? :/
- The need to utter the words "I'm not stupid" implies the opposite.
How do i know? Well, obviously because I'm not stupid.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon May 30, 2016 12:54 pm

It might be possible then!

Silverrock

Post by Silverrock » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:48 pm

Have the effects of the different coloured Skleens listed in their titles or their descriptions.
"If you're (finding excuses to kill people) I will find you and destroy you..." -DM Watchtower

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:10 am

Silverrock wrote:Have the effects of the different coloured Skleens listed in their titles or their descriptions.
Please do this. Please.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:58 am

Nitro wrote:
Lorkas wrote:We already have characters with or without decent strength carrying around literally thousands of uses of wands. Is it balance or inventory realism that bothers you about that idea?
Largely balance, the fact that wands don't stack at all and potions only stack in 10 means that you actually have to sacrifice a fair bit of inventory space to have the full cavalcade of buffs and cures on you at all times.
As someone who crafts and has limited inventory space, but also plays that same character as a warrior with as much STR as possible...

Maybe stack them to 20(like the empty wine bottles). But 99 is absurd. If you need to have that many potions on hand at any time, it should take up a great deal of space in your inventory just like it'd take a great deal of space up on one's belt if they were actually wearing one.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:34 pm

Make Fish able to be put into Hunting Bags!
I enjoy gathering fish for roleplay, but they fill up your inventory fast. If they could also be put into the Hunting Bags, that would make general food-gathering a lot easier!
(same with Fish being sellable to settlements or Bernto..)
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?