Small quality of life changes

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Small quality of life changes

Post by Liareth » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:02 pm

If there was one small (huge emphasis on the small part) change you could make to the server which would significantly increase your quality of life here, from either a mechanical or RP perspective, what would it be?

Disclaimer: none, some, or all of the things mentioned in this thread may be implemented now, in the past, or in the future.

Penglors

Re: Small quality of life changes

Post by Penglors » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:16 pm

Something cool added to those druids that dont take totem druid. As you know they can shift shape. I would like to suggest that they would be able to choose which "skin" the form they take is in.

Example: At level 12 druid, you get improved Wildshape. Sadly, this makes it so that you always display the dire appearances. I would like to suggest that a druid, should be able to choose between the Dire skin or not.
..And perhaps change the wolf skin from the white one, to a regular one, or worg. Cause.. Uh. I really dont like the white wolf shape.

*EDIT*

And Penguin totem, please.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:23 pm

Some way of "rebooting" the crafting fixtures when they bug out, perhaps?

On at least two separate occasions I managed to bug the enchanting pool in the Hub. I didn't try taking a swing at it (a swift kick usually works) but if there was a go-to solution for getting bugged crafting tables to work again, that'd be awesome.

I felt really bad that it would be totally unusable until the next reset.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:37 pm

The ability to do more than one enchantment at a time. It's a small thing, but when I'm doing an item with four enchantments, I have to click the basin, put the item in, close the basin, pick enchantment, confirm. Then I have to click the basin, close the basin, pick enchantment, confirm. Click basin, close basin, pick enchantment, confirm. Click basin, close basin, pick enchantment, confirm.

What I'm envisioning is this:

Click basin, put item in, close basin. Be asked how many enchantments I want to put on the item. Select a number one through six. Pick enchantment, confirm, repeat, until proper number are filled out.

Display enchantments in order, including cost and % chance of success for each enchantment. Confirm or deny. The basin then fires consecutively, taking gold for each enchantment, and, if a failure occurs, the appropriate amount of XP for that failure.

Like I said, it's a small thing... but it will save me an average of six or more clicks (click basin, close basin) per item I enchant, and technically means the dialogue script has to be run fewer times, if I understand correctly.

Edit: !Note- A godsave during said process should abort every enchantment after that point if there are enchantments left to perform.
Last edited by Aelryn Bloodmoon on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:41 pm

I believe I've posted this in the Suggestion section as well, but:
Essentially a command to reset infini-caster spellslots.
Currently resetting them means either resting, or relogging.
Both which aren't good when you suddenly get stripped off your spellslots.

Also, to add more on Aelryn's:
I might've suggested this before, and I believe it might've gotten rejected- But a "Finish All" functionality on crafting stations, so you don't need to abuse the poor dialog system when you're going through +10 unfinished items.

Beep boop.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Top up menu with skins you can replace your animal companion standard skin with. want to replace your boar with a Worg, not a problem anymore.

Kimura

Post by Kimura » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:50 pm

A overhaul of enchanting period. Where people are not discouraged from playing an enchanter. And the success rate not be so hard.

Maybe remove or change the election process.

DaggerMouthSmile

Post by DaggerMouthSmile » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:01 pm

Mr_Rieper wrote:Some way of "rebooting" the crafting fixtures when they bug out, perhaps?
Pick up the fixture. Set the fixture down. That'll do the trick.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:07 pm

The ability to do more than one enchantment at a time. It's a small thing, but when I'm doing an item with four enchantments, I have to click the basin, put the item in, close the basin, pick enchantment, confirm. Then I have to click the basin, close the basin, pick enchantment, confirm. Click basin, close basin, pick enchantment, confirm. Click basin, close basin, pick enchantment, confirm.
- Because this is kinda something I'd choose too - give each enchantment a number, like making items in normal crafting. So that, for example, instead yf having to go all the way though the menu to get to 'Skills: Bluff - + you type in Number 394 or whatever.

- My other small thing, and one I think I lot of people would love - The ability to toggle on -No Speedies.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:28 pm

An overhaul of the description system so that descriptions can be saved and stored for use later so that using -disguise doesn't mean you have to wipe out everything in your desc and then painstakingly use notepad of notepad ++ just to get it back, all so that some people won't just metagame your desc even though they can't break your disguise.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Give tattooists an option to change tattoo color.

Make some weapons available in all shops(kukris, scythes, or if you want to be unoptimal, bastard swords :) )

Give wizards/sorcerers more cookies.

Buff/nerf several spells.

Nerf ranger pet, buff actual ranger class.

Obligatory "remove XP script".

Change all weapons to be only reskins of scimitar/kukri/greatsword/scythe/etc(so no weapon is inherently worse than another).

Give Greater Restoration a cooldown.

Cap Mass Heal.

Give wizards/sorcerers a reason not to skill dump into bard/rogue/ftr/whatever.

Make enchantments better, maybe massively improved enchantment odds on artifacts or at least allow enchanters to make some items that are not completely shadowed by artifacts.
:)

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Tattoo Colors in Shops and a Infi-caster Spellslot reset command would be massive helps, and probably quite simple.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Mechanics: Drop saves of all monsters of CR 15 or higher by 5 across the board.

RP: Remove inability to no longer change where you are a citizen of. Replace with a timer of how long you must be a citizen before you can vote.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Penglors

Post by Penglors » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Hunter548 wrote:Mechanics: Drop saves of all monsters of CR 15 or higher by 5 across the board.

RP: Remove inability to no longer change where you are a citizen of. Replace with a timer of how long you must be a citizen before you can vote.

...Please. Or at the least 3.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:04 pm

More cool stuff for enchantments and/or more neat stuff, big or small, in locked chests - or rather, make lock picking worth while - ie. raw gems, more neat potions, unique items, ect.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Stath

Post by Stath » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:05 pm

Everything Cortex has said.

Also I think it'd be cool to add like a hairdresser to the tattoo stores or something, which lets you change your characters appearance (colours/head model/phenotype)- just like in the character editing room. Maybe for a small amount of gold.

It can take weeks to get in touch with a DM just to put you in the edit room for this, and it would cut down the (admittedly small amount of) time they spend doing it. And it's not like changing your characters appearance can be detrimental or have an impact on roleplay.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:11 pm

Cortex wrote: Cap Mass Heal.
Quality of life.

Also, customizable boots.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm

Capping mass heal improves my quality of life against tank builds. :D
:)

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:48 pm

For the backend I wouldn't mind better getcasterleve/setcasterlevel functions.

As our current solution doesn't work for spell penetration or dispel resistance. And it would be rather hacky/clunky to get those to work right.

Edit: And I can think of a few other reasons why a 'set effect caster level on pc' would be useful.

Edit 2:
Change all weapons to be only reskins of scimitar/kukri/greatsword/scythe/etc(so no weapon is inherently worse than another).
Tweaking weapons would be something i want to see too. Possibly not in this manner. But for the same reasons.

Green2Bee

Post by Green2Bee » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:58 pm

- For ESF abilities to not cost piety/components when you can't use it that day anyway. I've made a comment about this in Suggestion Box, but it really would be nice if all of them checked if you can use it that day or not before eating it up. This counter persists across server resets and I frankly don't remember sometimes if I've used it, and I at least find it extremely awkward to start resting in middle of RP. This doesn't happen for all ESFs, mind you. Some check the "use per day" first prior to taking a hit on piety/components, others take the piety/components first and then tell you "Go rest!"

- Reduce number of dispelling enemies by 99%

- Reduce number of energy shield enemies by 99%

- Reduce number of enemies that can cast Horrid Wilting multiple times an encounter single-handedly by 99%

- Eliminate stoneskin and other DR enemies for low- to mid-level areas by 99%

- Reduce original cost of Cloak of the Sight to something comparable to the boots with MS or Listen +5 (3000 gp) or +5 hide (5000 gp). There's really no reason for this cloak with same bonus to be 10,000 GP
Last edited by Green2Bee on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:00 pm

-movement speed ! :D

Elena

Post by Elena » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:06 pm

I would make paper weight less.

It's paper.

PAPER!

And it weights more than a notebook!

(No, I didn't say make notebooks weight more! :D )

Cortex wrote: Give Greater Restoration a cooldown.

Cap Mass Heal.
But.. how does that buff clerics? :(
Might I respectfully suggest playing the game, rather than indulging in speculation about how we might screw the game up in future? - Mithreas, 2014

Nathan Brack

Post by Nathan Brack » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:16 pm

Have the mining bag remove a whole stack of whatever you try to take out of it instead of just 1 at a time. I can put what I don't want back in, but for the love of god, I'm not trying to fill a whole page with single chunks of coal!

Thaumaturge

Post by Thaumaturge » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:18 pm

You know what? I'll bite.

Full redesign of dragon monsters. I envision battles with these titans to actually be spells, traps, and just all sorts of trouble when you're coming across one. They're physically tough, magically powerful creatures that are clever. At the moment most dragons are really only dangerous because of the Wing Buffet script. That Fortitude Save = Creature Level function vs Gust of Wind Knockdown is more annoying than interesting. I love the idea of dragons moving quickly to targets and even flying/teleporting there. I just find the knockdown effect not very interesting. Same with Wyverns and all larger "flying" creatures.

I would also like to see all dragons immune to knockdown effects and have really good concentration and defensive casting to throw out their spells. Really I like the idea of monsters with different interesting abilities and a LOT of HP rather than hefty AB, way too much damage, and AC that makes even the most dedicated warrior cry himself to sleep.

Oh! I remember something else. Dragon fear auras don't fear anymore but instead apply a debuff that makes you want to run away from the dragon or treat the morale penalty before engagement. The "lose control of your character and wait to die" function of the fear aura has always miffed me. Spells are one thing. It's a single save. Fear auras are NEVER a single save.

So it's sort of a bigish change and not a small one. But it's easy to do.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:19 pm

This update offers stealthers some RP love. We've added two new chat commands, -reveal and -revealparty.

-reveal allows the stealther to selectively reveal themselves to the named character (-reveal Jimmy Bob). It can also work through tells. Note that you will only be visible to that character until you break line of sight again. It should be used sparingly and in cases where RP would benefit.

-revealparty allows the stealther to reveal themselves to their party. It persists through resets (e.g, if you toggle it on, it'll stay on until you toggle it off again).

Just a quick note on the use of these commands: please don't abuse them. If you're in a situation where you've revealed yourself to only one character and you're having an otherwise open conversation with them, you're probably being dumb. Nobody likes dumb, least of all the DM team. These commands can be used as a great RP tool. We don't want to take them away, so please use them sensibly.
Something like this but for spotters.

So they can forecfully reveal a stealthed individual/npc for a party. preferably without breaking their own stealth in the process