Small quality of life changes

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Small quality of life changes

Post by Artos13 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Durvayas wrote:Phrasebooks are hard to come by right now(with the book matrix broken)
Are they? I was finding all kinds of Phrasebooks when I was adventuring the last few weeks.

Ferret Roll

Post by Ferret Roll » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Language learning doesn't allow for a lot of interactive use of the language until you're near to the final stages of finishing it.

Which means for the majority of your process of learning to speak a language, you can't make a useful effort at trying to converse in it with your language teacher. (Unless you don't mind filling chat with unintelligible gibberish for trying to practice a typical greeting/phrase of a given language when practicing with your instructor).

I feel like language learning would become more interesting roleplay if, while engaged with an instructor in a conversation, your ability to speak the language is temporarily boosted to allow for practice in using specific words/common phrases.

Or maybe make it so that specific simple entries, such as "Hello", "Goodbye", etc are always successfully spoken after the beginner stage of learning?

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:00 pm

Perhaps instead of just [unintelliglbe gibberish] on a failed 'roll', typing -in (for example) rolls at that point. You can only 'roll' once every turn or so, this duration lowering as you pass learning thresholds. Similarly, you can only speak so many lines/words at a time based on your fluency before you have to roll again.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Ferret Roll

Post by Ferret Roll » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Kuma wrote:Perhaps instead of just [unintelliglbe gibberish] on a failed 'roll', typing -in (for example) rolls at that point. You can only 'roll' once every turn or so, this duration lowering as you pass learning thresholds. Similarly, you can only speak so many lines/words at a time based on your fluency before you have to roll again.
Something like this would be very nice. Currently, it feels like language learning RP is just listening to people speak the language with little opportunity to try engaging them in it until you've already mastered it.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:10 am

How about this:
When a player died, dye their name to something such as blue, to reflect that they're dead.

This would really help in Parties, and knowing if a player is online when you find a corpse.

Beep boop.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:37 am

Derail imminent but totem is an option that gives you a huge defensive bonus (high AC, high hitpoints, high stats that increase two of three saves and the third's taken care of by high wisdom). The trade-off is low damage and vulnurability against dr-enemies.

And whether shapechange and elemental shape is an rp-breaker has more to do with your rp-concept than the feats as such.

I've suggested elsewhere to let druids use ice- and flameberries. That'd give them a bit of an edge.

Naiphe

Post by Naiphe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:22 am

Would it be possible to stop the loss of spells when shifting? Such as ones from bonus wisdom slots and bonus spell slot items. You keep the slots but they empty themselves if you use a shift which is quite the kicker :(

Edit: I see what the issue is now I've played with a character editor. Rings don't get absorbed into the shape shift, so it acts as if they aren't there. Hence losing the bonus slots and wisdom and wotnot. So I guess I can answer my own question with a no :? shame though.

Convention of Blades

Post by Convention of Blades » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Adamantine/Mithral golems with either great or epic focus in transmutation. They don't even need to be useful, having more golem options would simply enhance engineer/artificier roleplay. This might as well help with the lacking gnome community. Pleeeasee?
Bashagain wrote: "Daltanius is not a virgin!" Screeched the lying pillar of skulls - now with one less skull. The celibate knight sighed, silently lamenting the truth that he was still a twenty-eight-year-old virgin under a vow of chastity.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Convention of Blades wrote:Adamantine/Mithral golems with either great or epic focus in transmutation. They don't even need to be useful, having more golem options would simply enhance engineer/artificier roleplay. This might as well help with the lacking gnome community. Pleeeasee?
I've suggested this already bit still think they should be beefier than regular golems given how hard it is to get the metal to make them.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:22 pm

Artos13 wrote:
Durvayas wrote:Phrasebooks are hard to come by right now(with the book matrix broken)
Are they? I was finding all kinds of Phrasebooks when I was adventuring the last few weeks.

In the UD, yes. Ever since the server merge the UD book matrix is just straight up gone. No xanalress books, no undercommon(thankfully a vendor sells it), no draconic(thankfully a vendor sells it)no abyyssal, dwarven, goblin, infernal, books on oogooboogoo, the lolthite books, undercommon, abyssal, none of it. Just the mundane books that bookshelves spawn by default.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:48 pm

That maaay be due to the actions of some enterprising kobold that might be scouring the library for them and selling them in the shop stall in the west wheel for a decent sum of gold.

Renney77

Post by Renney77 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Ahahah The cheek on them Kobolds!!:D

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Hijacked seekeapeek's suggestion and linking it here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6563

Hypnagogic Phosphene

Post by Hypnagogic Phosphene » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:06 pm

An arena-like area in Guldorand's monastery, so that characters can properly practice there. :]

And give it a small fountain to drink from.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:11 am

body respawning

Hijacking cortex's suggestion as I agree with it, that and also bringing this thread back from the dead.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:06 pm

CragOneEye wrote:body respawning

Hijacking cortex's suggestion as I agree with it, that and also bringing this thread back from the dead.
sometimes battles last longer then five minutes

the body vanishing would make spawn mandatory just like the body bash, dont like this idea at all
Yes I can sign

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:17 pm

Ebonstar wrote:

the body vanishing would make spawn mandatory just like the body bash, dont like this idea at all
Reading Comprehension: 0

The first line is the situation as it stands. They respawn and the body disappears, if it is held or picked up. He's suggesting that the body not vanish on respawn.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Kimura

Post by Kimura » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:45 pm

As long as the glitch where you can raise that body is gone after the player is spawned already.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:50 pm

Kuma wrote:
Ebonstar wrote:

Reading Comprehension: 0

The first line is the situation as it stands. They respawn and the body disappears, if it is held or picked up. He's suggesting that the body not vanish on respawn.
In fairness the way it was worded I was confused at first and had to re-read it a few times myself to understand what cortex was saying.

Kimura

Post by Kimura » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:47 pm

I always figured 5 minutes was long enough. Even in a massive pvp moment. Unless you are running from transition to transition, leaving bodies behind.

LeatherLeaf

Post by LeatherLeaf » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:38 am

Vegetarian Heal Kits

I always thought it was strange that a healer had to go kill, or hire people to go kill animals, to make heal kits. Perhaps a veggy recipe could add some RP. I know not what exactly the recipe could be and will leave that to my betters on the dev team.

Selfish request: Could the 2 chairs at the ends of the main table in the Vineyard Inn be made usable? It has been awkward the couple times where there has been a group large enough to require all the chairs and there are 2 that are "broken" so to speak. I even put crafted chairs over top but the one closest to the stove was too close to the table to be used.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:04 am

In the Spider's Web, past the arena. That little room with the tubs is great for RP.
Except that NPCs won't shut up and there's the ogrillon that goes to put his crotch on the people that dare use the chairs.
I've literally seen people that outright murder the NPCs to RP without those annoying things.

My suggestion is removal of vocal cords and anchoring the ogrillon to the ground with rusty nails.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:33 am

Scholar Midnight wrote:If there was one small (huge emphasis on the small part) change you could make to the server which would significantly increase your quality of life here, from either a mechanical or RP perspective, what would it be?

Disclaimer: none, some, or all of the things mentioned in this thread may be implemented now, in the past, or in the future.
Since some time I wonder if this post did go terrible wrong or does it help devs and Arelith - even if the answers mostly do not adress the small change & huge effect intention of the original posts.

It is more a quick suggestion brainstorming post now.

(Shall we continue this way or stick back to the original intention and use the suggestion box for the other topics?)

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:08 pm

nobs3 wrote:
Scholar Midnight wrote:If there was one small (huge emphasis on the small part) change you could make to the server which would significantly increase your quality of life here, from either a mechanical or RP perspective, what would it be?

Disclaimer: none, some, or all of the things mentioned in this thread may be implemented now, in the past, or in the future.
Since some time I wonder if this post did go terrible wrong or does it help devs and Arelith - even if the answers mostly do not adress the small change & huge effect intention of the original posts.

It is more a quick suggestion brainstorming post now.

(Shall we continue this way or stick back to the original intention and use the suggestion box for the other topics?)
This is the area where you post if you have a suggestion that is a minor change ie easy fix but what would make everyone's live easier.

Where as the suggestion box is where you post any suggestions that don't require simple tweeking of things, ie major changes to the server, or scripting.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:40 pm

If you want to brainstorm a specific topic, I suggest creating its own thread.