Does NWN have a cache outside of RAM?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Does NWN have a cache outside of RAM?

Post by Twily » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:06 am

I'm having some VERY annoying issues. I'm trying to change various overrides but nothing is working.

I have the override installed.. remove it and half the stuff returns to normal while the other half doesn't. I put the override back and nothing changed. I remove the override(start the game, load a map and turn it off) then replace the override again... When I start the game up I get a mix, half override, half standard NWN.

I almost suspect NWN is caching textures outside of the RAM and using that, does anyone know if this happens? (if so, how to remove it?)

If not, does anyone know why I'm getting this odd behaviour?

I use both Windows 7 and Linux(Ubuntu 14.04LTS) and have the same issue on both.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Does NWN have a cache outside of RAM?

Post by Twily » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:21 am

Additional Info: I did a computer restart on both systems between changing the files and starting the game, this also made no difference.

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:34 am

Tried the Critical Rebuild?

http://arelith.com/node/141667
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:21 pm

When you remove the override, are you starting with a totally empty override folder?

Sounds like you still have a 2da file in there that's changing what you see.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:54 pm

I removed everything from the override folder. When that didn't work I tried emptying my hak folder as well. Seeing as that didn't work, I also tried replacing my textures_tpa.erf with an original(since I'm using an edited one)

DM Garynx

Post by DM Garynx » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:43 pm

In the last update (.69), they put some critical files into the override. You'll have to get those back - critical rebuild most likely.
msterswrdsmn wrote:People play characters, and, well. Some characters will murder you over 50 coins, I guess.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:58 pm

I deleted every override and hak, reverted edited files to their originals, ran the Critical Rebuild before reinstalling every override/hak I use. The issue remained.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Dumb question, but did you try playing between applying the critical rebuild and reapplying your overrides?
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Yeah, I had started it up just to make sure it was working, which it was.

I'm thinking I may have to just to a full reinstall at this rate. I've got 5gig in mods I put in, so some sort of unexpected file corruption from removing half of a mod before realizing I forgot a file might be possible.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:31 pm

I fixed it!

I changed the nwn.ini file's "first run" line to one, let it re-run the config, and when I started up the game it worked fine. I have no clue why this worked, but it was the only thing I changed between the game not working and then working, so it had to have been it.

Does First Run do anything different aside from run the nwnconfig.exe? I had already tried running the config option previously and it didn't fix it then.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:59 pm

Well done! I've not experimented with that option but google may be able to help.