svirfs and surface

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Silent Handshake

svirfs and surface

Post by Silent Handshake » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:17 am

Ello ive been thinking of making a new character, moreso a gnome and i got curious about the svirfs as i saw that they could be part of some earthkin alliance. does that mean they are accepted all around the surface or just in brogendenstein?

Lorkas

Re: svirfs and surface

Post by Lorkas » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:28 am

They are quite accepted in Brogendenstein, but non-earthkin races generally don't have enough interaction with svirfneblin to know that they're any different from drow or duergar.

In lore, svirfneblin are extremely xenophobic with respect to just about all races apart from shield dwarves. On Arelith overall they have had several decades of peaceful interaction with surface gnomes and at least a few halflings, so it wouldn't be surprising for your svirfneblin to be comfortable enough to walk into Brogendenstein or -maybe- Burrowhome, but it's really unlikely that your svirfneblin would walk openly into Cordor, Wharftown, or Guldorand... at least not without a lot of RP leading up to it.

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:52 pm

Svirfs are allowed in Cordor. That's not to say you won't face scrutiny, as Lorkas said, but some PCs either already knew they're okay, or have been around long enough to see that they don't cause trouble.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:41 pm

They had a bad rep once as a couple use to go on killing sprees against surfacers, so for a long time they were hated as much as drow. Especially at Burrowhome. But that was a few years ago so most the characters who might remember that and hold it against them are probably gone. So probably won't face a lot of outright get out of here or I will kill you stuff. My character treats them basically as he does slaves he sees about, where he figures they are probably spies for the UD. But if towns let them in, that's the towns concern not his.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:58 pm

Sab1 wrote:They had a bad rep once as a couple use to go on killing sprees against surfacers, so for a long time they were hated as much as drow. Especially at Burrowhome. But that was a few years ago so most the characters who might remember that and hold it against them are probably gone. So probably won't face a lot of outright get out of here or I will kill you stuff. My character treats them basically as he does slaves he sees about, where he figures they are probably spies for the UD. But if towns let them in, that's the towns concern not his.
Basically this. A few years ago, you'd probably have been lumped in with some of the more PvP happy smurfneblin. I don't think any characters are around that remember those days.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:32 pm

Svirfs will be able to find some in game books about that specific periode (year 78 and onwards), where Blingstonhold changed policy what concerns spreading fear amongst surfacers. These books also explain what that meant: The isolation of Blingstonhold from the other Underdark races' settlements, and a close connection to Brogendenstein.

Enjoy!

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.