Brew Potion

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

PUNCHDOG

Brew Potion

Post by PUNCHDOG » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Is brew potion a worthwhile feat for cleric? At first I was really excited to pump out heal potions, divine might potions, and other fancy crap, but with a lvl 3 restriction there doesn't seem to be much worthwhile. No, I do not have nature domain, so no barkskin potions either.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Brew Potion

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:27 pm

I personally dont think so.

dirza

Post by dirza » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:37 pm

PUNCHDOG wrote:Is brew potion a worthwhile feat for cleric? At first I was really excited to pump out heal potions, divine might potions, and other fancy crap, but with a lvl 3 restriction there doesn't seem to be much worthwhile. No, I do not have nature domain, so no barkskin potions either.

Heal potions are items from cooking, DC 22.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:44 pm

Unless you know someone who will buy the potion variants of spells instead of wand ones due to a lack of UMD, then it's worthwhile because they'll go through those Negative Energy Protection potions like crazy.

But it's a very niche market for clerics, wouldn't really recommend it, craft wand is way more useful since you can make a wide array of useful wands.

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:43 pm

They do have the benefit of being intensely useful for anyone who's character is built around polymorph mechanics.

tango.icecream

Post by tango.icecream » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:08 am

I feel like True Strike potion is all people want >.>

The nice thing about Brew potion over Wand is that Wands are kind of dependent on your caster level, since the charge is 1d20+CL. If you're only going to be low level cleric (to grab Divine Might/Shield, domain, etc), then I think Brew potion is the better option... But I might be wrong! Someone could do the math to confirm.

Potions are also useable by everyone! I know a lot of people on Arelith have UMD, but that's also a plus. Negative Energy Protection is still amazing in potion form as it is in wand form. (15 level duration)

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:19 am

Mage Armor
True Strike
See invisibility
Darkness

From experience, these are the only potions people will buy(at a profit) that are only available as chest loot, from a certain NPC, or brew potions.

Cleric spells like bless are super expensive for some reason. Unless that has been changed recently, I personally would not recommend it. You'll make more money selling restoration, ressurection, and raise dead scrolls.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Durvayas wrote:Mage Armor
True Strike
See invisibility
Darkness

From experience, these are the only potions people will buy(at a profit) that are only available as chest loot, from a certain NPC, or brew potions.
Balagarn's Iron Horn as well

Silent Handshake

Post by Silent Handshake » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:10 am

ALSO fun thing to do is to sell them poisoned potions :D
brew potion is a nice feat to have mostly for wizards though but that being said from what i remember you as a clerics have several utility spells perfect for potion making just go through the list of your third tier spells and you will notice its worth it. even now that i look at tier two you have several nice spells to make potions of.

i would say go for it

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:39 pm

Listen to Durvayas.