HOW TO READ ARCHIVES (Year-Bug Offset)

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

HOW TO READ ARCHIVES (Year-Bug Offset)

Post by The Kriv » Thu May 09, 2019 7:49 am

If you have an archive of message boards that date back before AR100, you probably have (by now) noticed that the dates for the years are all mussed up.

Using some archives I've assessed this translation guide:

Messages posted AR 101 to Present... years are accurate.

If the date is Dates from AR100 show up as AR147 (best guess) I have so far -not- found any 148 or 149 years that appear to be actually from 100 or 99 or 98...

So Best Guess, with a large amount of searching to verify... I am 98% certain that the Offset for the year-bug is +47 for anything originally written AR 100...

so when looking at archives, where the dates seem strangely recent, even though you recall them happening much much earlier... if they were pre AR101, you will need to subtract 47 years from the Authored Year to get the more accurate Year of Authorship.

------
If anyone has an example of their own archives with a note authored in what they are CERTAIN took place in AR 100, that has a date OTHER than 147 (namely, 148 or 149, or 150, Please take a screenshot. As best as I can confirm... AR100 = AR147 for the year-bug Offset.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Emotionaloverload

Re: HOW TO READ ARCHIVES (Year-Bug Offset)

Post by Emotionaloverload » Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 am

The Kriv wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:49 am

I have a very old record keeper character that has notes written near the current present date yet they are from the past (and said date was accurate at the time). I don't quite understand your calculations.

I know the time loop was adjusted, at least once, but it may have been twice so it can be very difficult to determine which 'era' a note is from.

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

The Kriv

Re: HOW TO READ ARCHIVES (Year-Bug Offset)

Post by The Kriv » Thu May 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Emotionaloverload wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 am
The Kriv wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:49 am

I have a very old record keeper character that has notes written near the current present date yet they are from the past (and said date was accurate at the time). I don't quite understand your calculations.

I know the time loop was adjusted, at least once, but it may have been twice so it can be very difficult to determine which 'era' a note is from.

-S
Alrighty, will attempt to explain using a set of archived boards that chart player character introductions from present, back to Actual AR94.

Moving from present, backwards to past, the dates/years all are arranged sequentially and none appear 'out of order.' following the dates back, they go 150, 149, 148, 147, 146... yadda yadda yadda... 104, 103, 102, 101, 147, 146, 145... and they continue on down, earlier and earlier without any 'jumps' forward or backward that put the compiled list of originally authored notes out of sequential order.

This pattern I have found to be consistent across 5 different boards of archived notes, with year-dates going from present to past, appear to be accurate down to the game-year AR101.. where there is a jump forward... and the notes from that point backward descend from 147.

I have not so far in my searching, found a note with a year date on it from 100. the earliest I have found is 101.

I have not so far found a 'jump' in year dates that goes from 101 to anything more than 147... for example.. I've not seen a note from 101, then the one immediately preceeding it to be dated 148... I've seen 146 and 145, but never 148... only 147.

Originally, I had been assuming the offset was +50 years... anything at year 100 would actually show up as year 150.. but I've not actually FOUND any notes authored in year 100 that had year 150 as it's date...

So I'm so far working now that the offset is +47 years at year 100... unless someone can confirm that it is actually +50.

How to translate this...

So.. if you are looking at archive notices that have year dates from 135... and you KNOW for a fact that the note is from much much earlier... subtract 47 years from it, and you will get the actual date of AR88.

I am hoping someone (like yourself EO!) has archives with more data on the year offset that can confirm, or have a screenshot showing dates that show a different offset.

-does that help explain?
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen