[NWN Hotkey Assist] Reconfigure F1-F12 easily

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Putrid Kitten

[NWN Hotkey Assist] Reconfigure F1-F12 easily

Post by Putrid Kitten » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:34 pm

NWN Hotkey Assist

Are you similarly annoyed by NWN's lack of customization action keys? Then here is a solution for you! All the showmanship aside, if anyone has any ideas for changes, go right ahead and PM me. I recomend reading the ReadMe first, for everyone's safety. :)
This only works for Windows (Confirmed working on: Windows 7, Windows 10 technical preview)

What does this do?
This allows you to define what keys should activate your action-bar buttons.
It is a simple AHK (auto hotkey) script, compiled as a stand-alone .exe file. The folder will have a config.ini file, in which you simply choose what keys should activate the F1-F12 buttons. Note that since this is a an overlay solution, the F1-F12 keys cannot be reconfigured to any different purpose, unfortunately. Also note that the default rebind is 1-10 on your keyboard. IF A CONVERSATION WINDOW POPS UP, YOU WILL STILL ACTIVATE THE CORRESPONDING F-KEY. BE CAREFUL NOT TO HELLBALL THE POOR NPCS.

This script only influences the NWN game window, and nothing else. If you tab out, it will do nothing. You will also be able to type freely without worrying about your hotkeys, so feel free to get creative. I personally have bound Q, E and F to important abilities.

How do I install?
It doesn't change any NWN files. It can be extracted anywhere. Once extracted, open config.ini with a text editor (noteblock, wordpad) and reconfigure what you'd like. If you prefer any of the keys remain their original, simply leave the corresponding space BLANK. Then save.
To run it, double-click NHA.exe (if you do not have AutoHotKey) or NHA.ahk (if you have AutoHotKey).

How do I shut this down?!
Woa, calm down. There should be an icon in your tray. Right click and press exit.

I have changed a hotkey in the config.ini file but nothing happens in-game!
Double-click the NHA.exe file to load your changes / reload the script if you are using AutoHotKey

I have a super-duper gaming mouse! Can I configure it so I can use my mouse to activate my spells?
Sure! Check out the Keylist.txt for the full list of keys. If you can't get it to work, PM me, and we will make it work together.

Download rar version
Download zip version
Last edited by Putrid Kitten on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meow meow meow - Reconfigure F1-F12 easily

WishesMoney

Re: [NWN Hotkey Assist] Reconfigure F1-F12 easily

Post by WishesMoney » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:54 pm

I endorse this bitch.
Stath wrote: do not Skype too close to the sun

Putrid Kitten

Re: [NWN Hotkey Assist] Reconfigure F1-F12 easily

Post by Putrid Kitten » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:07 pm

I will be unable to make alterations for the next 6 months, but if you find something that you would like to see added or altered, send me a PM either way and I will get to it when I get back. I am hoping that someone other than Wishes has given it a go. :)
Meow meow meow - Reconfigure F1-F12 easily