Magic in the Realms, by Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunson

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Magic in the Realms, by Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunson

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:49 pm

((The following soliloquy is taken directly from the introduction to the FR sourcebook Magic of Faerun. Khelben is discussing the nature of magic with a rather unlucky spellthief. A great deal of the inspiration for Astarial comes from this little speech.))

"Magic. Yes, I know you think you know what it is, and how it works. You don't. You're an ignorant fool, just like all the others.

You think magic is a tool, like a hammer, something that you pick up when you need it, swing it around for a while, and put down again when you're done with it. Not so. Magic is a living thing- part of the Lady of Mysteries, a deity to whom you only pay lip service. You can't just grab onto her when you need magic, squeeze the power out of her, and discard her when you're done. That sort of treatment comes back to you. There's a reason why most old mages are obsessed or insane- Mystra punishes them for their lack of respect.

No, you have to study her, learn how she works, learn what she likes, and understand why she does what she does. While a tool has no sentience, magic has a woman's mind and conscience behind it, a woman who just twelve years ago was a living and breathing person you could run into on the street. I did, once, down in the City, although I had no idea what she was to become.

So yes, magic has a conscience. Mystra knows whether your spell is good or evil, and knows what you're doing with it. She may not approve. When she disapproves, you'll know it. She can slam the doors upon your ability to use magic, and not open them again until she has decided you're worthy. Then there are the other deities of magic- Azuth, Savras, the lich-deity Velsharoon, mysterious Shar, and the deities of magic in far-off lands and of other races. Each of them has a hand in magic as well.

I'm sure you consider yourself smarter than most. But that Sharran dagger you carry that dulls your mind every day is a legacy of the dark sister of Mystra's magic, and its taint can be detected, although with difficulty. And you have no idea why. I suppose you think it's cursed, and its powers outweigh its costs. So much more to it exists that you do not see.

But do not feel too bad. I have seen and spoken with mages all over this world who never bothered to understand the forces they manipulate every day. Thayan evokers like yourself, and mystic wanderers of Beshaba, nomadic spelldancers, and those who count themselves among the ranks of my ex-allies, the Harpers. I've met Halruaan alchemists, Aglarondan sorcerers, and even the rare practitioners of spellfire.

All these mages could do so much more if they studied the methods of magic rather than just its utility. Hundreds of new spells leap to mind, as do many magic items, all inspired by a deeper knowledge of the Art. But you are too busy, busy mastering fireball, and receiving the gentle admonishments of your Red Wizard masters, and planning for the day when you would break into my home.

If only you had learned all this years ago, my little Thayan spellthief, then you wouldn't be where you are today, bound in my spell that leaves you utterly immobile. You might have known how to bypass a spell engine, or how to recognize a kiira from a common gemstone, or to talk your way past a spectator, or spot any of the other wards and traps I have placed around Blackstaff Tower.

And I wouldn't have to slay you for your folly."
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

I_Am_Death
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Magic in the Realms, by Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunson

Post by I_Am_Death » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:43 pm

yea.. I loved reading this. Brilliant....... absolutely brilliant

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:19 pm

It's quite curious observation but You could say that essentially in FR the statement "Knowledge is Power" is taken directly in the idea of magic. I wonder if that the writers of DnD and FR had in mind when they were putting the idea of "Magic" into the DnD game.

Well. of course idea of magic was existing far before DnD in the form of local tribal stories or beliefs and could be dated far before 0AD. But You could say in DnD it is crystallized into simple Knowledge = Power, whereas in case of real-life "magics" it was more of a one-time trick serving a reason to explain something which was not understandable by the people at that time.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Hmm.. this may sound stupid.

But I have a small competition in mind.

What oldest (Real Life) and most curious references to "magic" as it was then believed can You find in the history?

Let's say I can come up with Polish magical references two recorded:

Maharal (1520 - 1609, born in Poznan, Poland) - creator of supposed Golem of Prague.

Michał Sędziwój (1566–1636)) - Alchemist, discoverer of Oxygen in air 170 years before official recognized discovery by 1773.

Laurentius Dhur or Durentius (1520-1572) - Necromancer on kings Sigismund II Augustus court