Customisable Weapon Visuals and Light

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

NMan7496
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Customisable Weapon Visuals and Light

Post by NMan7496 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:20 pm

I was wondering if it would be possible to add an option
to asd weapon visuals through dweomercrafting. Many loot weapons, weapons with +1d4 added through dweomercrafting, and racial +4 Runic Keen weapons do not let visuals from essences show up, and I think it would be nice to allow for those who use these weapons to make these show up on their weapons. Also, in converse, making them able to be hidden would be nice for those who wish to opt out as well.

Naturally, this would restrict visuals to the ones that do show up from essences, i.e. acid, cold, electrical, fire, and sonic. Additionally, restricting this to elements on the weapon would also likely be sensible, so if you have fire damage on the weapon, you can't make it have the acid visual, but if you have a weapon with multiple elements, like a bronze weapon with +1d4 sonic, +1d4 cold and an essence for +4/+1d6 fire you could pick from any of those three.

Similarly, I was wondering if adding a light effect to a weapon through dweomercrafting could be made an automatic success at the basin, since a large number of magic weapons do shed magical light.

I don't feel like there would be a whole lot of balance issues with the weapon visuals, since it is purely cosmetic. I just, personally, feel that someone opting for a non-masterly damask weapon should be able to have visuals on their weapon.

The light may have issues foreseen by the dev team that I don't see, but I don't feel that would end up being too big of an issue either.
Characters:
- Eleanor Allias, Paladin of Selûne

Former:
- Mather Allias, Elrith Ferein, Simone Beregnor-Springscar, Thalia Loreas

garrbear758

Re: Customisable Weapon Visuals and Light

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:23 pm

Denied for adding light for free, as a light source negates the -5 penalty to spot at night.

The visuals I'm going to leave for someone else to decide on as it isn't my department.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted