A few extra languages

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Itikar

A few extra languages

Post by Itikar » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:21 am

I fully realize that implementing new languages is no trivial thing, and I understand if this proposal is denied in light of that.

Still, I feel like the following languages would be nice additions to the server.

Netherese: it is essentially the ancient human language *par excellence* in Forgotten Realms lore, together with its sister tongue Loross (but I feel like just one Netherese language can represent both neatly, we can simply use thou and older English forms to represent Loross). I believe a lot of good scholarly roleplay could come out of Netherese and many people would likely use it for roleplay, especially among human characters and beyond. Right now that role is being taken by Roushoum, which really should not have it, for many reasons that go beyond the scope of this thread, but having ancient languages would be cool in general, and Netherese is one of the best ones.

Auran, Aquan, Terran and Ignan: I have heard many people asking in game for these languages, and they are dear to many character concepts, so I feel like they would really be worth it and they would create quite a bit of roleplay and more player groups based on elements.

Yuan-ti: in the lore Yuan-ti have their own racial language, and right now they are the only race (okay, apart for humans :P) who does not get their real racial language. It makes simply sense that they get their own tongue like everyone else.

For the first part of the proposal I realize that these languages would not have any native speakers in game as of right now. I think that native speakers are not truly necessary, to be fair, as with loremasters and language tinkers languages can be learned even without natives. In case, however, giving the elemental languages to the respective genasi, or to clerics with the respective domains would probably sort that out. For Netherese it is a bit more complex, but perhaps we could finally introduce playable Shadovar along with it, as its native speakers, or anyhow link its learning to some other feat or class.