Expanded Ranger spell and feat list

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Wethrinea

Expanded Ranger spell and feat list

Post by Wethrinea » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:46 pm

Now, I'll first make the disclaimer that I understand that the dex based QS ranger monk-dip does not need additional buffs, nor am I an expert on building, so I might have missed some outrageous synergies. This suggestion is made on the basis that there are other ranger-heavy builds that would become more viable, in particular str based ones.

1. Expanded spell list.
The Ranger spell list in nwn is rather limited, and aside from cats, camo, OWTL, Blade Thirst, Aid and FoM does not bring much to the table, and goes a way towards pigeonholing rangers into an archer or dex build. The 3.5 spell list offers a wider variety, from simple buffs to utility. I'd suggest the following spells to be added:

Level 1:
Jump/Climb - bonus to climb checks,
Pass without trace - confer the "leave no tracks" ability to another creature
Longstrider - Increase movement speed in all areas (out of combat?). Does not stack with wilderness movement speed

Level 2:
Bear's Endurance
Bull's strength
Barkskin (with slowed progression/not stackable with monk AC maybe?)
Owl's Wisdom

Level 3:
Tree shape - Polymorph to a tree fixture/model, if possible?

Level 4:
Animal Growth: Increase HD of Animal companion or AE-Henchmen, not summons, (1+1/6 levels maybe)?
Non-detection: Immunity to -scry

Feat: Natural bond - increase the Animal companion level by up to 3 -4 to character level, selectabel as general feat and epic ranger feat. This would make the animal companion more viable for rangers who take a tumble dip, ie: everyone.

Some of the suggestions may be too powerful, or not possible to implement, so I hope their merit will be considered independently.
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

garrbear758

Re: Expanded Ranger spell and feat list

Post by garrbear758 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:56 pm

Rangers have way more cookies than just about anyone thats not a full faster. Additionally, most of these are sizeable buffs for a class that doesn't need them.

Denied.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted