Small(er) Quality of Life Changes: FL Edition

Moderators: DM Symphony, Active DMs, Forum Moderators

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Small(er) Quality of Life Changes: FL Edition

Post by DM Symphony » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:07 am

Nines,

The time has come when I open the floor to minor DM tweak requests. I'm not asking about fixing characters or special presents, but rather, looking for more ideas on how to make things a little simpler and convenient.

Unlike Scholar Midnight, I am just a DM, and only have the ability to change things from the DM client. Here is a small list of small adjustments I have made to the server for the sake of slight convenience.
  • Added Bounty Collector to the Caravan and the Arena Barracks
  • Added Garbage Can to the front of Lower Udith Che
  • Reset the names of all of the empty rooms in a guild house for a player.
  • Added "10 at a time" crafting recipes for bulk processing with less clicks
  • Added a planar portal (that was not noticed right away!) quite a bit closer to Cordor than the rest
  • Moved a freakin' plant (Lady's Tear)(non-crafted) that was spawning in the middle of the road to the side of the road
Obviously I have done other things as well, but these are small tweaks that don't take much time and can help the community, and I don't mind fielding requests.

I don't promise I'll add it, and I double don't want to hear any arguments in this thread, but, here's your chance to say, ask for Speedy Messengers, and then hear me say I won't put them into the server!

Thanks!
Symphony

evilkittenofdoom

Re: Small(er) Quality of Life Changes: FL Edition

Post by evilkittenofdoom » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:06 pm

Personally, I'd like to see some more of the items in the base NwN toolset, and/or the imported items from Arelith main in the crafting menus. Horns of Blasting, Nets, Blindfolds and Bandage Rolls come to mind off hand as some examples.

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:48 pm

Another, more major, things that DMs can do is adjust what spawns where, at what frequency, etc. Monsters and resources... those might be some good requests if the balance is off somewhere.

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:01 am

Artos13 wrote:Another, more major, things that DMs can do is adjust what spawns where, at what frequency, etc. Monsters and resources... those might be some good requests if the balance is off somewhere.
Pretty sure most, if not some of that is broken in certain areas if I remember symph saying so.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:46 am

Nah, the population system (has become) mostly useless, but I tweak "population" areas every reset, and, as you've likely noticed, have adjusted spawns and resources on the server using the tools that he is referring to.

That was one of the first things I started doing, but doesn't really fall into the same category as "can we please get a paper box in Brogendenstein?" Kind of tiny tweaks I've been hearing from players coming forward before this thread's existence.

Edit: to clarify, the population scripts seem to have been frozen at "maxed out wild rampage to all population affected areas no matter what efforts are taken to quell the hordes", which is why if there's a reset when I'm not around to whisk everything away before anyone notices, there are Orcs attacking the gates of Cordor, et cetra.

evilkittenofdoom

Post by evilkittenofdoom » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:09 am

A batch crafting recipe for Glass, Glass Bottles and Glass Vials would be nice, too, if it's not too much hassle.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:19 pm

Give Dev powers to DM Symphony so that he can modify the server, fix bug, and generally make things even better than he already has.

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:34 pm

Griefmaker wrote:Give Dev powers to DM Symphony so that he can modify the server, fix bug, and generally make things even better than he already has.
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Seyormi

Post by Seyormi » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:02 pm

Griefmaker wrote:Give Dev powers to DM Symphony so that he can modify the server, fix bug, and generally make things even better than he already has.

LeatherLeaf

Post by LeatherLeaf » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:44 pm

This would be SO great for the small and dedicated community here on FL.

evilkittenofdoom

Post by evilkittenofdoom » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:46 am

Not to be a buzzkill, but... something different than the previous four posts here....

'Junk' boxes. At current, they spawn random blank accessories, water, a few junk items of minor use, caltrops and tangle bags, fruits/nuts/berries. Probably a few other minor items as well that I'm not thinking of off hand.

I'm pretty sure its within your power to alter the loot tables. As such, I'd like to request some additions to this one in particular. Taking from the days of old, as well as the current things on Regulith, I'd suggest the ability to find Small Leather/Cloth, Cotton, Hides/Meats, Salt and Gem Dusts.

It's nothing exceptionally awesome, but it gives the diligent dumpster-divers some small rewards for said diligence.

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:19 am

I remember when there was a Rag that you could use that casted lightning bolt that you could only find in junk crates. That being said, small leather / cloth is best left to be commissioned if you want it. No reason to kill a good market of small pieces of tailored goods!

evilkittenofdoom

Post by evilkittenofdoom » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:33 am

Any human can make them with relative ease and minimal work. Anyone can spend 1 point and make them similarly. I don't see it really as much of a market unless you're looking for mass quantities.

That being said, it is merely a suggestion, and I do trust Symphony's sense of direction.

furryn

Post by furryn » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:16 am

Dev powers to DM Symphony on FL, please. It'd make my day.

So many small things that could quickly become so much better.
- The need to utter the words "I'm not stupid" implies the opposite.
How do i know? Well, obviously because I'm not stupid.

Gringat

Post by Gringat » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:07 am

I'd love to be able to condense trap kits down in the same or a similar way to how healing potions work now. Since we get so many, and the little ones aren't especially useful right now.

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Problem with traps is that you create them based off of the standard trap making menu. So if Symph were to make stronger traps for lesser ones it would be an ENORMOUS menu, and honestly I'd recommend an entirely different profession just to replace the normal skill dump.

Ben Garrison

Post by Ben Garrison » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:38 am

1.) Give DM Symphony Dev powers, as others have said.
2.) Turn on auto-ID on items; when you look in a container (like a corpse), if your lore is high enough it identifies items without all the extra clicking. Identifying trophies, guaji root, gems, and so on gets tedious. Regulith has this, by the way.
3.) Weapon shrines should not be empty. Please either stock them (yes) or remove them (no).
4.) Head bags, ore bags, keyrings: Regulith has these, I want them too.

It's possible that none of this is possible without the first one. Except maybe 3. :cry:
Artos13 wrote:Just let me know when the hardcover, 200 page Arelith Player's Handbook comes out so I've got something to read on the toilet.
Hunter548 wrote:What flavor of evil depends on exactly What sort of baby-munching they do. Do they munch babies for the greater good?

JackOfBlades

Post by JackOfBlades » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:51 am

The villain in me would like to see a subdual damage script added to FL.

I'd like to be able to beat up people as a thug, engage in brawls and raid the surface as a drow without being forced to "murder" a PC in every single conflict I engage.

It's much less of an issue on the main server of Arelith due to the unlimited respawns and availability of raise dead scrolls, but I have a feeling that on FL (I haven't been playing that long yet.) any sort of pvp conflict will be avoided like the plague.

JackOfBlades

Post by JackOfBlades » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:21 pm

Another self serving suggestion.

I'd like for the vfx on a few long duration spells to be disabled, namely barkskin and protection from alignment.

I get that it's important for there to be an indication of what spells a character has cast on them, but always being forced to walk around looking like a glowing christmas tree really ruins the effort put into a character's appearance. Not to mention it's hard to take someone seriously when they look like a multi colored glow stick.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:38 am

I would totally play a gnoll if they were a selectable race, is it possible to add them? Or is there a reason they haven't been added?
Plays as the monster in your closet

Mithreas
Arelith Admin (Fixed Level)

Post by Mithreas » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 am

It's possible, but on FL we deliberately kept the subrace list short because of the limited playerbase.

For example, as it stands we have goblins and kobolds playing together as allies. I hope we can grow the playerbase to the point where there can be a bit more friction between the traditionally LE kobolds and CE goblins. I'd want to reach the point where existing races have enough support before considering adding new ones.
JackOfBlades wrote:Another self serving suggestion.

I'd like for the vfx on a few long duration spells to be disabled, namely barkskin and protection from alignment.

I get that it's important for there to be an indication of what spells a character has cast on them, but always being forced to walk around looking like a glowing christmas tree really ruins the effort put into a character's appearance. Not to mention it's hard to take someone seriously when they look like a multi colored glow stick.
Glorwing, my old server, did exactly this. In hindsight it was a mistake, hence we never did it on Arelith.

Yes, there's an element of personal taste in this, but we'll be keeping spell VFX - sorry!
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:03 am

Mithreas wrote:It's possible, but on FL we deliberately kept the subrace list short because of the limited playerbase.

For example, as it stands we have goblins and kobolds playing together as allies. I hope we can grow the playerbase to the point where there can be a bit more friction between the traditionally LE kobolds and CE goblins. I'd want to reach the point where existing races have enough support before considering adding new ones.
*deviously plans a kobold bent on causing friction between goblins and kobolds just to get her gnoll* :twisted:
Plays as the monster in your closet

Seyormi

Post by Seyormi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:59 am

Mithreas wrote: Yes, there's an element of personal taste in this, but we'll be keeping spell VFX - sorry!
Personally, i've avoided spells that give crazy VFX...i don't use barkskin for this very reason.

However..

what if an epic spell feat could allow you to disguise the spells of that school? with use of still and/or silence spell?

I think it should be possible, but costly and difficult to do.

In the meantime, i just won't use barkskin :)

Mithreas

Post by Mithreas » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:53 am

I can get behind an epic spell mode that lets you conceal spells. Probably powered by having crazy spellcraft?
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Seyormi

Post by Seyormi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:53 am

i suggested something like still/silent spell with the idea that one could decide specific spells to conceal...the price, after the epic spell feat, of course, would also be casting it at a higher spell circle.