Arelith Discord + ACTUAL active DM

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

DeamonHeart

Arelith Discord + ACTUAL active DM

Post by DeamonHeart » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:05 pm

One minor Request, (this is NOT a rant and DM;s if this gets stupid Please lock)

{I am just getting done with gaming, it is currently 7:07 am, PST *or 3 pm, GMT*}

If you are an active DM, and you are logged into Discord as a DM, Then Please be logged in as a DM on the game server.

I know you guys ( the DM's) have lives as well. However I shouldn't have to ALT TAB out of game to get ahold of a DM, to fix a minor problem. {Or whatever key combination it requires to get to Discord}

So my request, asking politely as possible.

IF you're not on Arelith as DM, Then - DO NOT BE LOGGED INTO DISCORD as a DM, thanks.

(Information as associated with discord) - I LOATH discord, I -HATE- discord... But it is sadly the ONLY way I can get a hold of a DM .. because they are NEVER in game, and when they are They are either two busy Running an event ( THAT I WILL NEVER participate in, OR ) They are Dealing with a chode [ DDOS/spammer/cheater } and forget or didn't/don't see the messages coming through the DM channel.

- The players - SHOULD NOT have to go to discord- to get a DM's help.. I know you guys get paid so much.. 0$ and 0 Cents.. to do this job, I thank you for it, However.. IF you are not logged into the game as a DM , then DO not be logged into Discord as a DM.

I understand, Arelith Finally Broke and got their OWN offcial Discord channel (personal opinion dumb monkey butt idea) I do not hold it against them, However, IF you are logged into Discord as a DM - then BE IN GAME. [ I know you guys have a life outside of arelith its not that] But if you are not currently logged into GAME as a DM, then STOP being logged in on discord - WE should NOT EVER have to go to an outsource communication to get a hold of a DM.

Thank you for listening to my .. mental state.. Have a Wonderful rest of the day
DeamonHeart

Born on a mountain, raised in a cave

Re: Arelith Discord + ACTUAL active DM

Post by Born on a mountain, raised in a cave » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:21 pm

I don't really get how your request would improve anything, let alone the problem you're facing. You're asking DMs not to be online in discord if they're not also online IG. All that does is reduce the overall online time of DMs for people who don't "LOATH discord".

Nobody forces you to resort to discord, but them being online shouldn't affect you at all, if you just so happen to choose the more conventional means of contacting DMs.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:40 pm

You sound rather mad. I know you say it isn't a rant, but it does sound like one.

That aside: Messaging DMs over Discord is more for things like asking little questions or getting advice on something(such as whether or not your idea on how to play a class concept is a valid approach, just as one example).
If you have a problem that needs a DMs attention in game, you can either message the DM channel in game every 20-30min stating what you need help with and wait for a response, or you can send a PM to Active DMs over the forums.

That's how players are supposed to get in touch with DMs. If they're relying on Discord to get DM aid in game, they're doing it wrong, because that's not what it's there for(plus due to not being designed for that, your request is more likely to be lost and go unanswered if you make it over Discord).

Unfortunately, because DM positions are volunteer and unpaid, and the fact DMs have their own jobs and lives to see to, we as players need to have patience when trying to reach a DM for assistance.

The only real exception to this would be things that'd be important enough to warrant immediate attention. Something like the server crashing and not coming back up, or some troller running around killing every NPC and PC they see.
Last edited by Twily on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:48 pm

I think I get where you're coming from? Maybe it's like 'omg I need a DM to do XXX! And there's a DM around on Discord but not IG so I can't do XXX but they're right fricking -there- and it's so frustrating!' But I fear that's something you'll just have to get used to. Sometimes we're avaiable in one fashion, but not in another.

I think that's why your worked up? IF not can I ask why? I don't honestly see what the issue is?

There's nothing that we do on Discord that can't be done In Game. Discord adds a little bit of extra avaiability for small stuff, but that's it. It is (or should) be 100% possible to play arelith fully without needing to use discord, especialy for the DM team.

If you don't like the thought of us on Discord, but not In Game, then simply don't turn on discord! Simple!
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

DM Fox

Post by DM Fox » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:46 pm

I'm afraid this request doesn't make much sense.

DM Atropos

Post by DM Atropos » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:00 pm

I'm going to go ahead and be available on Discord when I'm not ingame. I can answer questions, direct people to report properly, and handle forumside stuff from my phone.

There are no requirements to when you must be available in *any* capacity, and I'm not inclined tl make (or agree to) any.
What is woven will be.

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:17 pm

I think I've broken the code.

I needed/wanted a DM, and I saw people online on the discord and they didn't do what I want in the timely fashion that I want.

Mmguess what?
That's just terrible tech etiquette for a human being. Unless you're paying them to be there. Which you aren't.
Take a breather, whatever was destroyed/moved/rulebroken will still be there tomorrow. Leave a message and come back to it. Based on the time suggested of this post (end of play) you were probably tired, winding down, and such things.

Followup recommendations: Send a PM via the forum (which you are on so you've got the hard part down with setting a password done) to the Active DM group.
You can leave a message on Discord for online or even offline DMs! That does not necessarily mean they are available at that time, they might be, but don't get all bent out of shape when they're not.
And finally, if they do happen to be in game you can ping it from the DM Channel in game with a reasonable amount of information. (These messages are able to be read out of game, so if they are able they can come into the game to assist. Need not be repeatedly posted.)

Hope you got some rest.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:21 pm

I can't imagine being barred from logging onto Discord to chat with friends etc. unless I was also available to help people on the DM client. Wow. What an oddball notion.

The DM's are people with lives, jobs, hopes and dreams. Not slaves.

DM Chatsworth

Post by DM Chatsworth » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:55 pm

We do not require to be in-client when online on Discord for a great number of reasons.

Namely, we do a lot of admin out of client to keep the cogs of the bit of the Arelith machine we work with working.

I will continue to be online on Discord whether I am in-client or not, feel free to PM me, @me on the official Discord, or send a message on the Forums.

We can, and will, help you one way or another.
Discord - DM Chatsworth#7848

DM Zinzerena

Post by DM Zinzerena » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:59 pm

As others have said a lot goes on outside of client. In addition a lot of questions can be answered from a phone, something that the DM client doesn't work on very well as you might imagine.

Asking us to not be available on Discord won't make us any more available on the client either unfortunately. I'd suggest sending in a forum PM to the group Active DMs and you'll be gotten to, I promise.
DM Discord: DM Zinzerena#0778

TheFanciestChocolates

Post by TheFanciestChocolates » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:47 am

Make sure you guys log into the game when you're logged into the forums too, lest you be available through some medium that isn't the game while you're not actively on the dm client.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:31 pm

You can claim this isn't a rant.. but it is a rant and sounds incredibly demanding. Rude.

With the recent loss to the server of an excellent DM/Community Leader - do you not think you could have made the effort to put this more delicately and politely?

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:12 pm

So,

If I ping a DM via the in game DM chat and don't get a reply, what is the time frame I should wait before I start attempting to get one in Discord?

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Scylon wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:12 pm
So,

If I ping a DM via the in game DM chat and don't get a reply, what is the time frame I should wait before I start attempting to get one in Discord?
Well if you are pinging them in game for an issue you have that must be handled in game, I don't think you should ping them on Discord. Discord is not there to "summon" a DM to the game to help you. The DMs are on Discord to answer questions and do interactions which they can handle out of game. That's my feeling anyhow.

However, if no DM responds to you in game, even after 1 ping, I think it's perfectly fine to PM the Active DM's on the forums. That way they can put you in the queue for when someone gets online.

Just a note to the OP: I get it. As a Gen Xer, I too get frustrated as Millennials and Gen Z seems to flit about between a thousand forms of communication and pretty soon Discord will stop being popular, and some new chat program will become the "in thing" and we will all flock over there. But as people have mentioned, no one is really forcing you to use Discord, and so if you choose not to use it, you shouldn't look at it like you are missing out on getting help. DMs should not feel like they are being summoned by the players into the game, that's just not healthy.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:30 pm

DeamonHeart wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:05 pm
[Pointless Rant]
consider the following:
no.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:08 am

GrumpyCat's (approximate) guide to Contacting Dms and what Method she Recommends.

What Method to Use

'I have a question to ask!' -
Generally Discord, or Forum PM, or Pinging will all be fine for this.

'I want an interaction with an NPC immediately!' -
Pinging on the channel is always best. If that doesn't work you can try Discord, but you're NOT guaranteed an answer or any help. A DM might pop on if they feel like it and have time, but chances are much slimmer. We have real lives too, and often if we're just on discord, it's because we can't, or simply do not want to be, In Game.

'I want to request DM presence for an event/to request a DM event/to seek permission for a raid ect...'
Very much case by case. For something that's happening 'Right Now' then DM channel is best. For an ongoing event then, very much dependent on the DM, discord might work. For seeking a DM for an event in the future, (such as raids) then a forum PM is the way to go.

'I found a bug!'
Forums are best here I think, probably via posting on the Bug sub forum. Discord or DM channel message might work, but it's easier for us to look up/check if it's on the forums.

'I need to make a report about a PvP encounter/theft/other issue.'
We do not take reports over Discord, reports should always be done via forum PM to the Active DM team. If you are absolutely allergic to the forums, we will take them In game on the DM channel too. But for record keeping purposes, forums are much better.

'OMG something terribly urgent is happening RIGHT NOW! A Griefer is attacking! All the enchantment basins have exploded! My shield is bugged on the floor and I can't pick it up!'
Discord/DM Tell, are best for immediacy, but again keep in mind that we won't always be available to help. Remember screenshots are your friends.

'I need to change my headset/voice/request an alignment change ect.'
Generally best done though the DM Channel. Asking through discord might work, but you're very much dependent on availability and none of the above are urgent. So really, unless you seem to be having major issues, I'd ask on Discord only as a last resort after a lot of trying In Game.

'I need to apply for a PrC token'
Do though forums, following templates provided on the Wiki.

'I need to get my PrC token'
Ask through DM chat. Again, asking on Discord might be ok (with levelling we do understand there can be a time issue here), but keep in mind that the DM may be busy with other things, and is under no obligation to log on.

I think that covers 90% of most reasons for needing a DM, unless anyone can recall any particularly common ones I've missed?
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

satan

Post by satan » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:36 am

Entitlement:100
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:47 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:08 am
I think that covers 90% of most reasons for needing a DM, unless anyone can recall any particularly common ones I've missed?
Won't be common for long, however I wanted to partake of the rebuilds before they expire.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:45 am

For rebuilds I'd go either DM Channel or, if you keep failing to get anyone, try organizing a time with a DM on discord.
This too shall pass.