Suggestion Discussion: The Arcane Tower

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

ShadowLegacy

Re: Suggestion Discussion: The Arcane Tower

Post by ShadowLegacy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:31 pm

It shouldn't, Cortex. Nor should it be made overly much by those who don't utilize it or try to utilize to it's fullest potential. There's a blend in there, and it's worth acknowledging where something is coming from and addressing them all together.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:33 pm

I never made the mistake to not acknowledge the "blend".
:)

ShadowLegacy

Post by ShadowLegacy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Yes, just dismissed a fair point about where thoughts were coming from. A fair compromise was offered based off of it too, If I remember *glancing up the posts* Yes. Fair. ...This is why I typically stick to Kudos threads over eight years of play:P. Never understood the seemingly purely argumentative nature of some but then I fall right in and join it~. I've made my calls for support, Chess area, public, lets use that bad boy!

Septire

Post by Septire » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:45 pm

DarkDreamer wrote:My Warden has spent HOURS standing in the lobby looking stupid to see if people show up for nothing.
This is a symptom of that underlying mechanical issue I was referring to.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:54 pm

No, its just there are times the tower are busy, and the moment the Archmages get there....all goes to hell in a hand basket wanting there immediate attention

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:56 pm

DarkDreamer wrote:No, its just there are times the tower are busy, and the moment the Archmages get there....all goes to hell in a hand basket wanting there immediate attention
Why are Arch-Mages the recruiters? Hand it off to middle-management. Does a CEO recruit the mailboy? ;)

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:57 pm

Actually thats being done quite often now, there are 2-3 Masters now that can do so.

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:57 pm

The Arcane Tower could use a class-room like room. The ones they have now are kind of tiny. And something lavish for the archmage would also be cool.

(Best of all, a spell that makes all dwarves vanish into a maze when they enter).

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:00 pm

I'd prefer there wasn't a messenger added to The Tower, as it draws foot traffic away from other places, such as Bendir or Wharftown. Building up The Tower to have everything and it really draws away from other places. And, we'll most likely never see the mages leave those two maps, being inside and outside the tower.

I'm for moving more of the Tower outside of locked doors, just as I am for moving more outside the Mythal of Myon. Mage stuff for all, and easily accessible. The Tower is one of few easily accessible magical places for mages to wiggle their staffs at each other, it shouldn't be limited. Of course, keep their little guildhall and spellhold locked away. High wizard sorts need a place to drink coffee heated up by chaos engines, or whatever mages do. Just more on the outside would be nice.

LasharaDyran

Post by LasharaDyran » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:28 pm

DarkDreamer wrote:
My Warden has spent HOURS standing in the lobby looking stupid to see if people show up for nothing.

Note he said standing....looking stupid.

One of the issues with the currently public areas of the tower is that there is no real logical place to linger for any reason, and as such it becomes a through-fare, which does not lend itself to RP access.

Rather than blaming a door to a private guild area that seems to be valued by current Tower members, perhaps this issue could be addressed instead?

JediZero

Post by JediZero » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:48 pm

Septire wrote:
DarkDreamer wrote:My Warden has spent HOURS standing in the lobby looking stupid to see if people show up for nothing.
How?

How is someone standing in the entrance area to the Tower, waiting for someone to show up, an underlying mechanical issue based on the fact that we have a door?

Edit: Clarification for areas of the Tower.

The entry area, with the fountain, portal, and shops = Lobby.

The area with the quarters and portal = Common Room.

JediZero

Post by JediZero » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Miaou wrote:I'd prefer there wasn't a messenger added to The Tower, as it draws foot traffic away from other places, such as Bendir or Wharftown. Building up The Tower to have everything and it really draws away from other places. And, we'll most likely never see the mages leave those two maps, being inside and outside the tower.
I actually kind of agree? We don't really need a speedy messenger. I kind of wish the speedy wasn't hidden away in Bendir Dale now, but I can deal with it. Or go to Wharftown, I suppose. And if the speedy is out and reachable by others then the Tower sort of becomes a one stop shop where you can do everything at once.

I'm even fine with food remaining in Mayfields only. I just want coffee.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:18 pm

JediZero wrote:I kind of wish the speedy wasn't hidden away in Bendir Dale now, but I can deal with it.

Agree with the first. And coffee is available in Bendir as well now. Hopefully Mayfields gets it sooner or later.

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:30 am

Miaou wrote:
JediZero wrote:I kind of wish the speedy wasn't hidden away in Bendir Dale now, but I can deal with it.

Agree with the first. And coffee is available in Bendir as well now. Hopefully Mayfields gets it sooner or later.
[Insert Apprentice Coffee Run / Kessel run joke here].

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:58 am

If Valor Were Inches wrote:The Arcane Tower could use a class-room like room. The ones they have now are kind of tiny. And something lavish for the archmage would also be cool.
The problem I see with the current classrooms is that they're small and rigid, and have insufficient seating. The Tower always felt to me like a place where the classes would be largely practical and in a seminar format. A semicircle with more chairs pointing at a central area with a movable lectern would be more appropriate.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Iwanttobethegirlwiththemostcake

Post by Iwanttobethegirlwiththemostcake » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:48 am

Tathkar Eisgrim wrote:
Why are Arch-Mages the recruiters? Hand it off to middle-management. Does a CEO recruit the mailboy? ;)
The Archmages were recruiting for a lack of anyone else to do it. You can't really have apprentices conducting interviews and the number of people filling the ranks in between are few.

There's now three Masters in the Tower. We can do interviews. I check the applications board daily and then check the playerlist. I'll be totally honest here and admit that I play /too much/. I'll also follow that up with the following statement: I'm having a hard time finding the applicants.

Sabines

Post by Sabines » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:59 am

"We don't have a problem here because I know me and bob and jim are inclusive! Just the other day we did this and that..."

It's worth pointing out this isn't an effective counter-argument. I know for a fact the Tower is incredibly inclusive right now. But will that always be so? I know it hasn't been in the past. There have been times when horrendously exclusive archmages were in power and the 'blast door' set-up promoted their shoddy, poisonous play-style.
"Yeah, she was in great pain! Then we cut off her head, and drove a stake through her heart, and burned it, and then she found peace."

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:16 am

So, I've gone back and re-read the entire thread.

To start, my posts come across as more combative than I'm aiming for, and I want to apologize for that. I am incredibly grateful for all the work the devs and staff put into the server, and I don't mean to come across as anything less. Not being on the staff myself, it's good to have opinions, but I need to remember that they're that, and not design directives. :oops:

I wouldn't really care if the communal area was put into public play- the idea that concerns me more is the removal of the door between the public area and the quarter access area. I don't think that the communal area being public has to lead to a lack of quarter security that is common among guildhalls.

There is a door between the Cordor Guard barracks quarters and the public access area, there is one between the Waymen's quarters and public areas. IIRC the Abyssal fortress is the same, as is the super secret <redacted>. I believe this additional quarter security measure is a hallmark of guildhalls.

The tower doesn't have any other mechanical resource than dc 127 locks, or PvP. Exiling isn't an option (to be fair I don't want to exile people anyway, but being able to levy the threat would still be nice). The golem defenders don't defend. The tower can't close its front doors during an emergency.

My investment in this discussion is in trying to keep that measure of security for quarters and neophytes, but please don't misunderstand; I'm all for facilitating more cozy public interactions. I'm just hoping there's a middle ground that allows for both ends of the spectrum to be content.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:39 am

Making guild room more in the open seems to be the aim the devs are going for, the guildhouses you mentioned are either tied to a settlement or are just old. The guildhouse in the Spires have all three doors open to the public if somebody wishes to buy them, and I think making guildhouses that aren't tied to settlements that way, is a great way to avoid misuse of resources.
:)

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:59 am

A point I keep seeing where the current administration of the Tower doesn't matter, because it could change.

That implies that current actions, current Roleplay have no effect on development, that it's only going to be set up so that it's preparing against the worst. I'm sure development isn't using this as their guideline, and if it is... Well, I don't have any influence over that.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:48 am

triaddraykin wrote:A point I keep seeing where the current administration of the Tower doesn't matter, because it could change.

That implies that current actions, current Roleplay have no effect on development, that it's only going to be set up so that it's preparing against the worst. I'm sure development isn't using this as their guideline, and if it is... Well, I don't have any influence over that.
No one is saying that the current people playing in the tower doesn't matter, but that we can't just look at their situation. That'd be like saying the temple of the triad in Cordor should be shut down because a banite managed to become chancellor.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:23 pm

Happened to come across this in an old search, and I just gotta say:

This thread aged super well.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Public Tower Discord
Tower Library

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:38 pm

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 pm

I mean, it was gonna die again, but five days later.....

Public Tower Discord
Tower Library

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:25 am

triaddraykin wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:23 pm
Happened to come across this in an old search, and I just gotta say: