Wizards of Thay and Red wizards

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Arther Goodmane

Wizards of Thay and Red wizards

Post by Arther Goodmane » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:48 am

At the time of typing this, I seem to have caught a viru-ACHOO#=_php_exc::threat_detected.

Ah, sorry about that. Anyway, I am in search of anything that can help a newbie Red Wizard wannabe player. Anything that can help me get started playing a Thayan apprentice in Cordor. IG information should probably kept IG, but anything else, such as Lore, would be helpful.

I will continue to search for some lore myself, once the angry man in my head stops breaking all my furniture.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Tazlor

Re: Wizards of Thay and Red wizards

Post by Tazlor » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Good afternoon! One thayan knight player here. Exuse any errors I am replying on my phone all sneaky-like at work.

Other than myself there's two other thayans on there server (one slave and one red wizard) and I think we may have possibly see you already. Any questions feel free to prod me in game and I will answer best I can. Celvana Lonra is my knights name

But a general idea of that is so: power is everything. Statues is based on power, if it isn't human it isn't pure (and therefore weak).

I primarily know the "lower" aspects of thay, so the undead, the gnolls, the slave pits etc due to this being character knowledge, that is my main point of rememberence

Izaich

Post by Izaich » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:24 pm

If you have any specific questions about Thay, I have access to the book Unapproachable East, which is a splatbook that covers Thay in reasonable detail.

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:30 am

Thanks. Looking forward to role playing with ya, and rekindling the glory days of the very old Thayan Enclave :)
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:56 pm

Be wary of the FR wiki, it's got a lot of 4e stuff that hasn't happened yet in the Arelith timeline.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Arise_Gargantua

Post by Arise_Gargantua » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:01 am

Hello! I am currently playing Azyrah, the isle's most prominent currently active Red Wizard.

There's actually quite a good body of lore in game, in the Red Wizards books (found randomly on a bookshelf near you, try the Arcane Tower too) and I tend to keep one in my inventory to remember the names of the Tharchions, Zulkiirs and Provinces of Thay. Most of that info can be found also in the Lords of Darkness 3rd ed book, which can be found in PDF format online.
Song of my soul, my voice is dead, die thou, unsung, as tears unshed shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:09 pm

I can answer pretty much anything and everything to do with Thay (NO SURPRISES THERE), likely in greater detail than Izaich. Not that this is a competition (it is totally a competition).

Sourcebooks you may find handy:
Lords of Darkness (Good to get a feel for playing a Thayvian outside of Thay, and Enclaves)
Dreams of the Red Wizards (2nd Ed, MASSES OF INFO about Thay society, still entirely correct apart from dead gods)
Unapproachable East (Good general overview, p much covered in those IC Red Wizard books)

I'm also familiar with stuff found during the Thayvian Civil War period - I suggest reading the first two novels of The Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers to get an excellent feel for how Thay plays out as a society from all those who live there. A lot of the events are not applicable to the time period we play in but it can always be nice to have some foreshadowing of the catastrophic events leading up to 4th Ed.

azyrah melharoun is a better red wizard than ayin mesmer ever was and i'm not even sorry

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Thanks for all lore and source books, I'll make good use of them where needed. I tried playing wizards before, but found it a bit dry. Then I was inspired by the idea of having a wizard who was also a merchant and aspiring politician, like the red wizards. Kind of like Jaffar, from the Disney movie, Alladin.

On another note, yes Kuma. We're all very impressed by your obsess-I mean, extensive collection of Thayan lore. Honestly though, I only have need for a general overview. I think the Lord of Darkness one should do fine.

PS: Ayin Mesmer was probably not the best red Wizard, but he did villain role play right.
PPS: I'm not saying everyone else is doing it wrong though...just giving a compliment.
PPPS: Wait...you played Ayin and you're still alive?
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Jackalspawn

Post by Jackalspawn » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Arther Goodmane wrote:...I was inspired by the idea of having a wizard who was also a merchant and aspiring politician, like the red wizards. Kind of like Jafar, from the Disney movie, Aladdin.
One of the finest cartoonishly-evil characters to have come from western cinema in recent memory. Time to show us how snake-like you can be! :twisted:
“Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

Melissandra Morbannaon

Post by Melissandra Morbannaon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:14 am

If you want help in game don't be shy to yell! I play Alanita the now ex (in a fashion) thayan fire dancer slave.

I'm usually around at weird times so just shout if there's any questions.