Enhanced Edition Crashes

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Peppermint

Re: Enhanced Edition Crashes

Post by Peppermint » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:36 am

Yeah.

I think what's holding EE back is that a lot of its features (i.e. new scripting commands) are just ports of NwNX code from 1.69. What's more, a lot of old plugins from 1.69 have been lost. For developers, it's not a straight upgrade in any sense. It's a bit of give and take.

Even a lot of the client stuff isn't new. The post-processing options, for instance, existed in NwShader years ago.

Couple that with a ton of issues on the new client, and some... questionable new 'features', and EE doesn't feel like much of a bargain.

Hoping to see meaningful changes moving forward, or I predict a stark drop off in the playerbase as the novelty wears off.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Several people in here need to seriously calm down. Do not attack other players for having a different opinion and certainly do not post images of war criminals and/or suicides.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm

Also keep in mind, that the hardware Beamdog is using is vastly superior to the hardware the original Bioware team used to program the original code, which, although released in 2002 -WAS NOT- using 2002 grade industry hardware... Bioware as a studio already some years old, was likely using hardware that was close to most recent, but likely they were on 2 year old machines with 2001 drivers (Studios NEVER want the latest and greatest, THEY want the stable, tried and true)

Beamdog's re-programming of NWN:EE I'm sure had an R&D team to test it on various hardware, but there's no possible way for them to test it on EVERY piece of hardware available on EVERY machine/laptop.

It could very well be a simple compatability issue with some hardware configurations that just "IS" -this sort of thing happens, and it's nobody's FAULT.

I know from my profession companies that produce high-end video editing/Graphics/3D software/hardware put out a certificed hardware list that they know for a fact their stuff runs 100% perfect on because they vehemently tested it. And when you call in tech support to troubleshoot, and you give them your system specs, and your hardware isn't on their list of "approved hardware" tech support usually shrugs at that point and says "Sorry, can't really help you, it literally could be anything."

Just something to keep in mind.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Phaesporia

Post by Phaesporia » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm

I think the problem is more that, unless I’m mistaken, Beamdog did not list what was compatible with EE, causing those with intel to be taken off guard. Had they known, I’m sure they would have tried to prepare for it. That’s why the OP was asking if/when it will be fixed. There was no notice in the first place, but you never know when they might fix it! I have Nvidia and it works fine aside from my toolset randomly crashing all the time and nearly constantly getting an error when I open up creatures that makes the toolset unusable, but I feel your pain. My friend can’t play because he has intel so it really sucks. Games aren’t as fun without your friends and it’s most certainly the biggest, possibly only, reason I come back to arelith. After all, what’s a multiplayer game if you can’t even play with your friends?

Whether it’s beamdog or intel, I hope it gets fixed soon!
+1
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:58 am
This is absolutely astonishing, in that my personal suggestion would be the total removal of the mechanical slavery system.