So, this just dropped!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

TimeAdept

Re: So, this just dropped!

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:59 pm

Editions are irrelevant for videogames, basically.

It's not like bg 1 and 2 were perfect representations of 2e, nor is NWN or Icewind Dale perfect reps of 3e.

5e is thus irrelevant. Larian knows how to make fun games, and it's uunlikely 5e will be any influence beyond the names of abilities and classes.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:01 am

R0GUE wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 pm
Opustus wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:24 pm
From what I've heard, they intend to implement 5e in some form (at least in terms of mechanics) and include tools similar to Divinity: Original Sin 2.
oh god please no

not based on the version for dummies

the only thing they forgot was the huge banner in black with yellow text
You are literally the only person I've heard who doesn't like 5e...
Many of us like 5e, but half the reason we like it is its easy for new players to get into and puts more power into the improv creative DM.

That being said, I enjoy pathfinder from a system stand point much more and think 5e is one of the worse systems to do a video game with. Heck, even 4th edition, the most hated of all, would make a better video game than 5e. Because half the reason everyone hates 4e so much was that it tried to be like a video game.

A modified 4e, tweaked to be more hardcore like no quick identifying items for free with no spell or knowledge check, or quick rests, could actaully make a good turned based xcom style dnd game.

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:58 am

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:01 am
R0GUE wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 pm

oh god please no

not based on the version for dummies

the only thing they forgot was the huge banner in black with yellow text
You are literally the only person I've heard who doesn't like 5e...
Many of us like 5e, but half the reason we like it is its easy for new players to get into and puts more power into the improv creative DM.

That being said, I enjoy pathfinder from a system stand point much more and think 5e is one of the worse systems to do a video game with. Heck, even 4th edition, the most hated of all, would make a better video game than 5e. Because half the reason everyone hates 4e so much was that it tried to be like a video game.

A modified 4e, tweaked to be more hardcore like no quick identifying items for free with no spell or knowledge check, or quick rests, could actaully make a good turned based xcom style dnd game.
I'll agree with most of that, but keep in mind, Larian is planning on modifying 5e, they've already discussed dropping dice rolls even, which means Advantage and Disadvantage is probably out the window too. I wouldn't worry about it not being video game-y enough.

Lunargent

Post by Lunargent » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:00 am

wh-

dude. A lot of people dislike 5e, they just exist outside of the Critical Role-sphere. I don't militantly dislike it and will play it if my friends are playing it, but my dislike remains. I feel it's too simple. I really like the art in the books but that's about it.

My dislike of 5e notwithstanding, I have great faith in Larian as a developer. Divinity OS2 was great, and if it's even a fraction as good as that game was it will have been a success.

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:41 am

Lunargent wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:00 am
wh-

dude. A lot of people dislike 5e, they just exist outside of the Critical Role-sphere. I don't militantly dislike it and will play it if my friends are playing it, but my dislike remains. I feel it's too simple. I really like the art in the books but that's about it.

My dislike of 5e notwithstanding, I have great faith in Larian as a developer. Divinity OS2 was great, and if it's even a fraction as good as that game was it will have been a success.
First off, don't pin the "Critical Role" tag on me like it's some pejorative phrase please. Yes I enjoy CR a lot, but I've been playing RPG's since AD&D, for over 30 years. Second off, I assume you like 3rd edition and Pathfinder, unless you are some kind of hardcore 2nd Ed. junkie, in which case enjoy your THAC0! But that's where I guess I don't understand, because 3E/3.5/Pathfinder and 5e are not very dissimilar, and if you think 5e is too simple it is like the easiest thing in the world to plug in the complexities from those former editions back into 5e, I do it all the time. But it's like malcolm_mtslayer said above, it's so much simpler to get new people up and running and for a DM to prep.

Now, if you are still running a 3.5 or Pathfinder game, that's all well and good, but I feel like you are missing out on a bunch of new awesome content, if all you are worried about is the flanking rules aren't up to snuff.

Lunargent

Post by Lunargent » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:52 pm

R0GUE wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:41 am

First off, don't pin the "Critical Role" tag on me like it's some pejorative phrase please. Yes I enjoy CR a lot, but I've been playing RPG's since AD&D, for over 30 years. Second off, I assume you like 3rd edition and Pathfinder, unless you are some kind of hardcore 2nd Ed. junkie, in which case enjoy your THAC0! But that's where I guess I don't understand, because 3E/3.5/Pathfinder and 5e are not very dissimilar, and if you think 5e is too simple it is like the easiest thing in the world to plug in the complexities from those former editions back into 5e, I do it all the time. But it's like malcolm_mtslayer said above, it's so much simpler to get new people up and running and for a DM to prep.

Now, if you are still running a 3.5 or Pathfinder game, that's all well and good, but I feel like you are missing out on a bunch of new awesome content, if all you are worried about is the flanking rules aren't up to snuff.
I'm not sure why you took such great offense to me saying that a lot of 5e's fans exist in the Critical Role-sphere. I don't even dislike the show, I think Matt Mercer is a great DM. However a lot of 5e's positive press comes from that and Geek and Sundry, and they've attracted a LOT of new fans with it. That's just a fact, I don't care enough about it to make fun of anyone for watching or enjoying it (or 5e). All I asserted was that yes, there are in fact people who exist that dislike 5e, such as myself. I have played several games of 5e and do not find it to my tastes. That is it, that is all. There is no need to get defensive of it. Hasbro is a big boy and they've sold a lot of 5e, they can stand to do without my business.

My apologies if I've somehow offended you.

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Lunargent wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:52 pm
R0GUE wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:41 am

I'm not sure why you took such great offense to me saying that a lot of 5e's fans exist in the Critical Role-sphere. I don't even dislike the show, I think Matt Mercer is a great DM. However a lot of 5e's positive press comes from that and Geek and Sundry, and they've attracted a LOT of new fans with it. That's just a fact, I don't care enough about it to make fun of anyone for watching or enjoying it (or 5e). All I asserted was that yes, there are in fact people who exist that dislike 5e, such as myself. I have played several games of 5e and do not find it to my tastes. That is it, that is all. There is no need to get defensive of it. Hasbro is a big boy and they've sold a lot of 5e, they can stand to do without my business.

My apologies if I've somehow offended you.
I wasn't really offended, it just seemed to me you were making an assumption that I only liked 5e because I was a newcomer to the game who got into it by watching CR and that couldn't be further than the truth. If you don't like it, I'm really not upset, I'm just remarking that until this thread I hadn't met a d&d player who had a bad impression of 5e. So it kind of surprised me when on the first page someone was upset they were basing the new game on the current ruleset, for which I thought support was overwhelmingly positive especially compared to 4e.

But again, and I think we agree on this much, computer games are a different animal and will not be an exact replica of the D&D tabletop experience.

Arise_Gargantua

Post by Arise_Gargantua » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:41 pm

Vrass wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 am
Better have Minsc in it... cant have a proper BG game without Minsc.
Will it be a proper BG game without THAC0 though
Song of my soul, my voice is dead, die thou, unsung, as tears unshed shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:51 pm

F*** THACO.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:24 am

THAC0 is easy AF to understand

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:25 am

NauVaseline wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:24 am
normal ac/ab is just thaco in reverse, thaco is a silly redundant system.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:09 pm

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:25 am
NauVaseline wrote:
Thac0 and AC came first, it's AB that is new and redundant. Thac0 is complicated for plebs

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:49 pm

NauVaseline wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:09 pm
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:25 am
NauVaseline wrote:
Thac0 and AC came first, it's AB that is new and redundant. Thac0 is complicated for plebs
I specified "normal ac". There is nothing "normal" about "to hit ac 0"

10ac = 10 ac
0 = 20

-10 = 30

Etc. Etc.
Its just redundant reverse math and has no real advantage and nothing to do with plebs.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:18 pm

It's such a shitty view to take too. "I understand so you're worthless if you can't." That's not even the point; the point is to make it simpler for everyone.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:21 pm

How come every single topic has to turn into mudslinging?

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:58 pm

Subutai wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:21 pm
How come every single topic has to turn into mudslinging?
Yeh I feel partially responsible and I'm sorry, I was literally just saying I hadn't heard of anyone disliking 5e before, I thought it was pretty universally thought of as a "good edition" much like Star Trek II is seen as one of the "good Star Treks". I didn't mean to devolve it into a path of "which ruleset is better or whatever. Everyone is allowed to have fun, however they want to have fun.

And not to throw any shade again, but just to hopefully get things back on track, I will say that arguing about THAC0 on this thread is not particularly relevant because as I said the devs are discussing getting rid of dice rolling altogether, so there will be no need for THAC0, or likely even AC or AB.

matheusgraef

Post by matheusgraef » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:49 am

Another measure of AC where is measured by how quickly a thread derails into Edition Wars.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:17 pm

Xerah wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:18 pm
It's such a shitty view to take too. "I understand so you're worthless if you can't." That's not even the point; the point is to make it simpler for everyone.
I was being facetious, so take your shitty judgement and launch it into a hugbox of fireworks.

It was perfectly simple the way it was. The current method is just as simple. To Hit AC 0. It's right in the name. Is your THAC0 3 and the enemies AC -1? You add 1 to your required roll (3 + 1 = 4).

Basic. Math. ez. pz.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:45 pm

Back on topic, if there is no ac or ab, it sounds like class abilities will be use as inspiration or 5th edition is refering to lore. Or maybe both.