Character Builders

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

jastewart1988

Character Builders

Post by jastewart1988 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:41 pm

Hey, so I know a lot of people are interested and enjoy theory crafting and with the new PGCC server build testing. My question is what do most people use when theory crafting? Just pen and paper with the maths done from knowledge or checking up when needed, with the old Excel spreadsheet that exists? Or perhaps something else entirely?

The reason I ask is that I am considering a remake of the Excel spreadsheet from scratch with the base rule set of NWN built in and the option to allow for not just Arelith but any other persistent worlds custom content to be updated within the workbook. I can achieve this 2 ways, the first being the same as the current sheet does with multiple data sheets and formulas to calculate the build and allowing for a way to select if the build is to be done by NWN base rules or say Areliths custom rules....Or method 2 using Excel I can incorporate VBA and streamline the process a lot more from its current state to allow for rules to be easier updated/changed/added to for any number of PW.

There is another option I could simply code a program that has all of this removing the need for Excel entirely. Do any of these sound useful to the community? Any of them sound like something you as a player might use here on Arelith or any other servers you might play on? Or do you feel the effort is simply not worth the reward?

Nevrus
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Character Builders

Post by Nevrus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Might want to consider putting this in Builds and Mechanics to be more topical.
Ganus- Riding the Isle (Active)
Aura Bigstep - Got Out Ahead (Retired)
Egos Ironhide - Shelved
Consult a medical professional before believing anything Nevrus says.

Zahlfire

Post by Zahlfire » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:34 pm

One of our players is currently updating the old spreadsheet to include Arelith's changes. I plug most of my builds into my own sheet and do all the formulas and stuff in my head, checking the wikis when I need to verify something.

If you aren't already in it, we have a Discord server for Arelith with a Builds n Mechanics channel where we theorycraft a LOT.

https://discord.gg/ddbCpRX
The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:48 am
Perhaps the takeaway is not to go 'Ugh. Lesbians... we should cull them.'
Currently plays: N/A

Who to PM and When

Feel free to PM me with Lore questions!

jastewart1988

Post by jastewart1988 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:45 pm

Nevrus wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:32 pm
Might want to consider putting this in Builds and Mechanics to be more topical.
Fair point! If a mod is able to move it to where is most relevant I was unsure if here or builds section was best.
Zahlfire wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:34 pm
One of our players is currently updating the old spreadsheet to include Arelith's changes. I plug most of my builds into my own sheet and do all the formulas and stuff in my head, checking the wikis when I need to verify something.

If you aren't already in it, we have a Discord server for Arelith with a Builds n Mechanics channel where we theorycraft a LOT.

https://discord.gg/ddbCpRX
I tend to do the same alot of the time but always find myself once set on a build putting it into the current Excell sheet to verify I have no errors and allow me to see level by level skill point calculation to avoid any errors.

It's awesome if someone is already working towards such. Thank you for the discord link too!