Minigames in Arelith

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Mythic
Contributor
Contributor

Minigames in Arelith

Post by Mythic » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:36 pm

So I've noticed a few small things that have hidden "Progressions" on the server. And I was wondering if there is a list anywhere of all these interesting mechanical options!

Darts, (Dartboards)
Cards (From Decks/craftable)
Dice (From a few dice tables around)
Bartending (from bars)
Fishing (From, well fishing)

I do wonder if the fishing mechanic is fleshed out, as I've only ever caught a few fish. Maybe fish up pairs of old boots

Does anyone know any more "Minigames/Mini-Mechanics"?

Also all of these are fantastic
Howling around all year long

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Minigames in Arelith

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:27 pm

There's chess too.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 pm

I have always wanted for an expanded fishing system. I'm talking Runescape levels of fishing capability, baby

Brandon Steel

Post by Brandon Steel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:28 pm

I’d love an expanded fishing system :D .

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:31 am

In World of Warcraft you can even get levels in all those, or like achievement awards especially in fishing.

I wonder about the chess game... if we can have some sort of ranking based on how many games a player have played, and wins and losses.
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

hmm

Post by hmm » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:19 pm

High end Fishing system; would love that

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:22 pm

I don't think this is even possible, but LOTRO has an actual music mini game that lets you compose and play your own songs. I would flip out at this, but it's probably impossible even with haks.

Braid

Post by Braid » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:22 pm

R0GUE wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:22 pm
I don't think this is even possible, but LOTRO has an actual music mini game that lets you compose and play your own songs. I would flip out at this, but it's probably impossible even with haks.
This was also is Mabinogi which was the only reason why I stuck around for so long. It would add a whole new dimension to being a bard. The system they used was similar to how you would input a ringtone in the old Nokia 3310 cellphones.

Then maybe something that'd allow a quartet to play. The music student in me would go nuts.

A Mystery Clock

Post by A Mystery Clock » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:46 pm

Braid wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:22 pm
R0GUE wrote:
This was also is Mabinogi which was the only reason why I stuck around for so long. It would add a whole new dimension to being a bard. The system they used was similar to how you would input a ringtone in the old Nokia 3310 cellphones.

Then maybe something that'd allow a quartet to play. The music student in me would go nuts.
Actually... you could do this on Arelith, with haks. You'd basically need to do this:

1) Introduce sounds. A series of notes from various instruments, for instance guitar or piano. There are entire directories, which may also be lifted from programs such as FL studio. Not hard at all. Pack them into a HAK.

2) Let bards (or anyone?) open a conversation. Each conversation "option" plays a note. A blank option plays a pause.

3) Allow an option to store and play note strings. The result will be a short, midi-like tune. Allow to "scribe" them on tradeable/printable items or somesuch, to allow swapping songs.

4) ??? Profit

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:44 am

-delete_character

It's a roulette.
:)

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:58 am

A Mystery Clock wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:46 pm
Braid wrote:
R0GUE wrote:

Actually... you could do this on Arelith, with haks. You'd basically need to do this:

1) Introduce sounds. A series of notes from various instruments, for instance guitar or piano. There are entire directories, which may also be lifted from programs such as FL studio. Not hard at all. Pack them into a HAK.

2) Let bards (or anyone?) open a conversation. Each conversation "option" plays a note. A blank option plays a pause.

3) Allow an option to store and play note strings. The result will be a short, midi-like tune. Allow to "scribe" them on tradeable/printable items or somesuch, to allow swapping songs.

4) ??? Profit
We;;, if someone did that, I would love them, and sing their praises in song.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:46 am

As cool as it sounds, I can absolutely guarantee you we'd get mostly covers of modern music.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Peppermint wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:46 am
As cool as it sounds, I can absolutely guarantee you we'd get mostly covers of modern music.
Knowing Arelithians, it would mostly be metal music, and everyone making it would be like, "I don't know if this is going to be too much for your basic ears, but if Mozart was alive this is what he'd listen to".

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:42 pm

I won't lie the promise of an in-game rendition of Despacito while I'm battling goblins entices and seduces me

Arise_Gargantua

Post by Arise_Gargantua » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:05 pm

Anime Sword Fighter wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:42 pm
I won't lie the promise of an in-game rendition of Despacito while I'm battling goblins entices and seduces me
I've been on this server for like 9 years and this is hands down the best forum post reply I've ever seen
Song of my soul, my voice is dead, die thou, unsung, as tears unshed shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:58 am

Subutai wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:27 pm
Peppermint wrote:
Knowing Arelithians, it would mostly be metal music, and everyone making it would be like, "I don't know if this is going to be too much for your basic ears, but if Mozart was alive this is what he'd listen to".
arelithian tech-house gigs at the cloven hoof, thx

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:20 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:27 pm
There's chess too.
This one is fantastic.

DM Eyeball

Post by DM Eyeball » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:12 pm

A Mystery Clock wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:46 pm
Braid wrote:
R0GUE wrote:

4) ??? Profit
I can't say a thing about the technical side on this, but the sampling part is indeed pretty simple.

Unfortunately, it would likely sound like a fairly bad MIDI-simulation without more modulation, mixing, blending, etc. Not sure if that's something Irondad would want, I'm fairly certain it could be pretty immersion breaking.

As for having covers of metal songs and whatnot: It can always be restricted to a length of one minute or so, and reviewed by the DM team. As long as people don't troll with the system, it could be reasonable enough to add this effort to our duties.

Feel free to sketch up a suggestion!

Dean

Post by Dean » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:15 pm

I remember the old LOTRO bard system, though I don't recall making your own music but rather using ABC files to play preset songs, though I suppose people could make their own ABC files. It was a good fun, I quite vividly remember playing Through the Fire and Flames on lute in the Prancing Pony. While I have no idea if such a system could even be implemented, the actual programming behind it, you would also need individual sound files for each note for each instrument. Would be cool though.

Fallout

Post by Fallout » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:20 am

Can devs throw in several compositions example:
- peacefull 1, peacefull2, peacefull3
- battle1, battle2, battle 3
- elven1, elven2, elven3
.....and so on, that would be used as commands to activate but only to bards, that way devs decide what music goes in with what quality and bards can play with it, use it as background for their songs and so on... make it lvl 28 bard so is rewarding for pure ones.

There, solved, now give me an ale!😁

Adam Antium

Post by Adam Antium » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:47 pm

Subutai wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:27 pm
Peppermint wrote:
"I calleth this one, 'Twilight of the Thunder God.' If ye do not swing thy head back and forth vigorously, I shalt slay thee."

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:49 pm

i'm going to revive this thread just to say i would make an attempt at creating hardcore gangsta rap with a drow, talking about ride-by slayings, chewing gauji, and how much the matrons desire me