Halloween Deadite Event

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Apokriphos

Halloween Deadite Event

Post by Apokriphos » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:07 am

I am so excited to take part in this event on Sunday. However, I was wondering if players will be expected to break into factions and murder each other as per normal, or will there be some sort of last survivors of the world rule where we are all supposed to get along due to the zombie apocalypse.

Either way, I am looking forward to the fun!

Dr. B

Re: Halloween Deadite Event

Post by Dr. B » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:57 am

As a follow-up query: if I play a drow or outcast and show up to this event, will other players have the right to attack my character solely on those grounds?

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:26 am

After a certain hour, when only a few survivors are left, we'll be locking the server down for those players who are still there to enjoy the the final act of the story
You may have already considered this, but a suggestion is not to lock it from new connections, but instead password lock it as I suspect EE crashes will be fairly common and a survivor being unable to reconnect at the end would suck.

Saso47

Post by Saso47 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:05 am

Please don't shut down the regular servers, not everyone wants to play whatever that event is.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Upcoming Halloween Event - Questions for those running it

Post by Twily » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:17 am

A few quick questions:

Just to confirm, Existing character's used won't be in any way effected after the event?

What if they are in some way altered during the event(such as spending wands/scrolls/spell components/ammunition/acquiring new items)?'

Are characters that are made new for the event given any sort of gear or levels to equal the playing field to the PvP side to things?

Are characters that are made new for the event deleted after the event?

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:02 am

In turn, i think closing down the other servers is a good and important thing. This is an unique, once-a-year event. If you leave other servers accessible, people will by human nature play what is familiar and safe. Step outside your comfort zone for a change and try to enjoy some zombie survival for a change.

If this is still not your cup of tea, do something else for a day. It is just one day, probably not even a full 24 hours to get the event done within a reasonable timeframe.

On topic of Outcasts and Monstrocious, if possible, i will be showing up with a Kobold myself. I hope that people will be mature enough to immerse themselves in the alternative timeline situation where the dead are the real enemy. There are PvP rules to interact on two sides before pvp is initiated, and ALL the DM eyes will be concentrated in a narrow area. I fully expect a quick, stern talking in case of rulebreaks.

"Be Nice", and let everyone to enjoy the event.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:31 am

Just to double check, this is a just for-funsies sort of thing that won't result in any trips to the Death Room/the permanent loss of any MoD charges for characters involved?

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:34 am

i do hope it's a 24 hour event. I'd hate to be asleep just cause it's tailored for the American timezone...

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:49 am

Will prob arrive near the middle of it... starts at 3 pm my time and i usually get back home around 4-5.

Aurian

Re: Upcoming Halloween Event - Questions for those running it

Post by Aurian » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 am

Oops, I finally found the info about it.

Can those of us who have no interest in participating (unless we can pursue 'normal' content as usual while it's running) opt out somehow?

Aurian

Post by Aurian » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:19 am

Saso47 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:05 am
Please don't shut down the regular servers, not everyone wants to play whatever that event is.
Yes, please don't shut them down. I really only have an interest in regular Arelith gameplay, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Apothys
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Apothys » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:46 am

Seekeepeek wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:34 am
i do hope it's a 24 hour event. I'd hate to be asleep just cause it's tailored for the American timezone...
It hits the uk around 7pm i think. Should be time to get involved for us tea drinking Arelithians :)

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

TheFirstSonOfRome

Post by TheFirstSonOfRome » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:49 am

Is there a rough ETA as to when this will end?
Not to be too negative for the people that enjoy this stuff, but I too have little interest in participating in this lagfest

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:07 am

Aurian wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 am
Oops, I finally found the info about it.

Can those of us who have no interest in participating (unless we can pursue 'normal' content as usual while it's running) opt out somehow?
You have to specifically opt in by connecting to a new server that goes up for the duration of the event.

Aurian

Post by Aurian » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:36 am

Nitro wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:07 am
You have to specifically opt in by connecting to a new server that goes up for the duration of the event.
Yeah, but it sounds like the regular servers get shut down, so we're not really given a 'choice'. I really hope they reconsider and leave the standard servers running. Otherwise I'm not looking forward to a Sunday evening without Arelith. :(

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:02 pm

Players can select their regular characters, but this will be a copy of the player vault. Absolutely nothing that happens there will effect one's regular character.

And regular servers will be taking down for the beginning of the event, as stated in the announcement they will be brought back up before its conclusion.

Aurian

Post by Aurian » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:44 pm

Irongron wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:02 pm
And regular servers will be taking down for the beginning of the event, as stated in the announcement they will be brought back up before its conclusion.
Is this absolutely necessary? :(

It means several hours, during an evening when I actually have time to play, without Arelith.

I play online because of the long-term development of stories in a community with other players, so anything that only has consequences for a few hours is of no interest to me (and I might just as well goof off in some single player game instead). Plus, as someone else mentioned, I fear there will be more lag than usual.

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:21 pm

Memelord wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:31 am
Just to double check, this is a just for-funsies sort of thing that won't result in any trips to the Death Room/the permanent loss of any MoD charges for characters involved?
iirc, you don't go to the death zone on death, ergo mod won't tick off.
not that it'll matter.

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:47 pm

for the naysayers:
give it a chance. it's outrageously fun, and the RP continues
last time, my character found himself fighting alongside a sworn enemy. a player whom i didn't really get along with until then (not to mention the actual event itself, which was very different). i got a chance to see a lot of different RP and stories as characters played out their reactions to the horrific events.
i really believe you're doing yourself a disservice by looking at this negatively. and it's just one day, even if you don't like it, but if you go in with an open mind, i think you'll find it as an excellent scenario for your character to be themselves, even though it won't matter the next day.

Echohawk

Post by Echohawk » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:42 pm

Basically it's a small bit of fun, and those that don't want to play can I guess read a book or watch a streamer or go outside or something.
I'm looking forward to some nonsense pocketplane shennanigan dream alt-reality.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

satan

Post by satan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:35 am

I used to gauge potential girlfriends by how they reacted to 'evil dead 2'

Not even kidding.

Needless to say, Ill be seeing you all there on one of my toons, surely.
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE