Why I prefer UD to Surface

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Aurian

Re: Why I prefer UD to Surface

Post by Aurian » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:20 pm

Echohawk wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:03 pm
Aurian you seem like you've had a very different experience than a lot of us have.
This thread was started by someone who likes the UD and hasn't had notable negative experiences there. Several people have posted who enjoy the UD and haven't had notable negative experiences there. The problem doesn't seem that widespread to me...

Besides, the solution is simple: if you don't enjoy an area, don't play there. There are plenty of others to enjoy!

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:14 pm

I've been meaning to write on this thread for awhile, ever since it was posted but I've been very busy with different things constantly cropping up and also focusing my writing ability towards things I thought to be a higher priority. At this point I feel almost silly pulling up this thread that's as old as it is now but I nonetheless wanted to share some of my perspective as a long time UD player.

Andunor for what it is mechanically is a great place. Andunor and the surrounding zones have, to my opinion, the superior level design, writs and all around gameplay. Every single character I make I always feel this pull to run back to the Underdark to grind out through some of the levels there. The Stingers for instance is one of my favorite dungeons on the server due to how rewarding it is and its circular design. Terrific place I think.

On the surface I've found every starting location to have some kind of large drawback. An exception being I've not played the Brog start. With Cordor I find there to be a ton of dead space. Cordor is massive, all of the NPCs are miles apart. I find what I end up doing is just running back and forth mostly and of course there's a server transition right outside of Cordor that makes things a hassle when most of your writs and adventures are on the Surface server. Not to mention the experience that is doing the same set of low level writs: Archives, Sewer Rat Gang and the Sewer Patrol. I've never found it particularly enjoyable.

Skaljard is probably my second favorite of them all. Its problems, at least from the last time I played as these may have been corrected with the recent overhaul, there wasn't a place to sell from a scroll case and the only place to sell potions was far out in the tundra. Overall XP and GP rewards are lower across the board with some strange difficulty spikes and overall harsher PvE content. Not that the difficulty itself is a bad thing, just that it feels harder to level there and you're also compensated less than other places. Since it's relegated to low level characters and people tend to not bother with professions at low levels you'll find it's extremely difficult to get a hold of basic essentials like a jewelry case. The only other gripe is the lack of shortcuts at the end of some dungeons so once you clear them you have to turn around and run the entire length back to exit it.

As for how level design influences roleplay, this is where I'm certain our opinions will diverge greatly it seems.

The surface is very expansive. There's tons of incredible places you can run to that have their own vibrant and lovely communities. Lots of incredibly talented players that pour everything they have into creating great narratives regardless of the settlement where they holdup in.

This expanse breeds entirely new narratives that are completely exciting and thrilling, narratives that by level design are inhibited or otherwise greatly diminished in Andunor. Spies working on behalf of other cities lurking about, always having escape routes and a very large sandbox to create and playout stories in. The concept of war is exciting when you have entire cities opposing other entire cities. The cities themselves actually matter despite being numerous and very far spreadout. Exilements and other repercussions matter and are great narrative tools.

To contrast this in the Underdark everyone is forced into the same two rooms essentially. Districts are just places for item storage and are entirely irrelevant for all intents and purposes. They don't really do anything. As long as you aren't exiled from every single one you can still get your citizen storage and even then so long as you own a quarter in any of the various non-district spots you'll be just fine.

With everyone being so confined and so limited on cool spaces to RP in you, from my own observations and experiences, ironically see less conflict happen. People are more likely to be friends with each other because of the lack of freedom. Since in Andunor if you do anything that disturbs the status quo you find yourself being forced to delete the character since there are no alternatives or options for extending that roleplay or character concept.

Now, onto how attitudes of the player bases as a result of level design: While it's true that spreadout hubs as is on the surface can allow people to congeal into cliques and while that certainly does happen to an extent I've been unable to find it problematic in the greater scope in that it rarely affects roleplay. I think most cliques that form would've formed anyways but with the larger space they end up being more diversely spread. Cliques tend to keep to themselves and have very little to do with larger storylines unless they choose to want to participate.

Contrastingly comparing this to Andunor in particular a few cliques form but invariably one clique or two becomes larger than the others. The greater issue here is that these are cliques you cannot avoid and are forced to play with regularly. This is exactly how groups such as Xyvil'kor spiraled out of control into something that was universally considered harmful and anti-fun roleplay, at least I think those are fair summarizations to make. It encourages and breeds groups and factions that are actively detrimental to the environment which cannot be contended with because of superior numbers for PvP and cannot be avoided due to the confines of the space. And due to the proximity this group might think that anything that doesn't conform to their standards is playing the wrong way, something I'm sure we've all seen happen at some point during our time on Arelith.

Purely anecdotally, as if the rest of what I typed wasn't anecdotal, while I can't say I've had the outright opposite experience that you're describing I can say it's not the way that you've described it. The Underdark as a whole is certainly not more mature or kinder than others on the surface. There are plenty of bad apples down there who detract from the experience. Just as there are bad apples woh detract from the experience on the surface. I think people's views of these different player bases is subject to which end they find themselves interacting with. I've probably experienced more Underdark grief than surface grief despite the vastly different amounts of playtime I have invested into each.

I'll go ahead and start quoting a few things that I want to directly respond to.
Aurian wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:19 am
I just wish we had more efficient means of keeping Surfacers out. Killing them repeatedly, while they respawn repeatedly, gets old at some point.
Petrifictus wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:48 am
We need to put an end to surfacer's "Weekends at Andunor" and really limit their presence at the city, Hub included as its getting silly watching elves and halflings walking around free without anyone being able to do anything, as otherwise it would hurt feelings.

Put same policy on surfacers like the monstrous races have in Sibayad and Crow's Nest with a huge sign if people are keen to keep hold on trade city theme in the Andunor. We should inspire and encourage people to play with the actual UD races.
If you really want to play in the UD as surface race, pick an outcast (or RP hard enough to become one at the surface) or become a slave. Having pirate ink dont suddenly make character one with the Underdark either.
These are in my opinion very ill thought out at best character motivations/goals and at worst cultivates an extremely toxic environment. Andunor is a trade city. That's why Outcasts exist, humans and half-orcs are very much a part of Andunor just as much as any other monstrous race is. It is why any surface character can apply for Uutcast status and move in more permanently.
It's also the reason why UD characters cannot see Outcast tags. It doesn't mean anything to them like it does for surface characters.
To be able to justify a character saying one human is okay but another human is a "surfacer" (especially when a lot of the monster races in the Underdark are definitely surface creatures as well) requires a considerable amount of cognitive dissonance.
The sort of conflict roleplay in that regard is best suited towards ousting surface agents. People that are well known to work towards underminding Andunor. Someone that is well known to work against the death of the inhabitants and against trade. Those are people where it seems absolutely appropriate to hassle. But the human that walks in to purchase a few things from a local shop? They're a boon to the economy.

Now there's other things you can target to such as if someone is a goody-two-shoes then maybe they stand out as being very against the Andunorian culture. But you wouldn't scream "HUMAN" and start stabbing for instance.

Truly, I think most of the Underdark's issues would be fixed if there were multiple settlements that characters could distribute themselves out among like how the surface is currently configured.

The important things to remember however beyond all else is that horrendous notions such as "UD culture" or "surface culture" need to be eradicated. We're all Arelithians playing in the same sandbox, even if it's massive and some of us end up at different ends of it. It's better to focus on us all being one player base and improving together.

Thanks for reading, it feels good to finally get all of this off of my mind.

Eo Vew

Post by Eo Vew » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:28 am

We all, as Arelithians, must conform to a standard of playing. It's stated in the Wiki that anything that goes against the RP of the community is frowned upon. To an extent, we are all free to paint our own unique pictures...within the lines apportioned to us. For me...I have learned to accept my borders and have fun within them. I like it.

What happened to Xyvil'kor? I actually don't know, but they aren't around anymore it seems. I can message you on Discord about that though...probably don't want to open old wounds.

I think Humans are an unfair comparison though since, as you said, some are welcome. There are plenty of races which would not walk the same streets as drow, nor would they be accepted. Shield Dwarves and sun elves, for example. Of course, someone could "earn their stripes," so to speak, but I would imagine that would be as a tough a road as Drizzt being accepted on the Surface. Even then he isn't allowed to walk into certain places.

That being said, I think you hit the nail on the head. We should all focus on being one player base, and improving together. If our "positive view" of the UD is a good model for that, maybe that can be a blue print, and we can work towards that and away from the negative things. All those horrendous notions will eradicate themselves.

I like the UD because its inclusive.
I like the UD because people are nice to each other OOC, no matter what happens.
I like the UD because, when someone does something that is out of character, or is unhealthy, someone says something about it in character.

Whether you think my definition of the UD based on my experience is wrong or not, we can all agree those are good things.

I am committed to improve my community and the story of those around me. I think all of us can say the same. So, lets work to change that for everyone to say:

I like Arelith because its inclusive.
I like Arelith because people are nice to each other OOC, no matter what happens.
I like Arelith because, when someone does something that is out of character, or is unhealthy, someone says something about it in character (in some cases some OOC explanation could be needed for new people).

Peachoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Peachoo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:02 am

This thread feels very condescending. I know you state several times that you aren't trying to be 'rude'. But you are being that in a 'polite' way.

Your ps doesn't help either. Since coming to play here, I've found only maybe one or two toxic players on an ooc level. The rest have been nothing but kind and welcoming as far as ooc goes.

Hell, I got into pvp with some pirates the other day. The person who tried to kill my character was so kind and sweet that they actually asked to make sure I was okay ooc because it was my first pvp encounter here. That is something I have never experienced on Amia, where most pvp encounters ended with explosive green text or dms. It floors me how different the arelithian community is.

Personally, I find that Arelith's community as a whole is very wholesome with the side clique here and there. Even with those little cliques, I've found them to be very welcoming and inclusive to new players.

I just really can't see your point.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:16 am

We had a whole sub forum for the Underdark once.
It ended badly.

It was abolished, in part because it lead to a very us/them mentality, people started to think of themselves as Underdark players and surface players, and it was all very competative and conflictly on an ooc level.

We're all just Arelithians. THe underdark is on another server because of login caps. That's it.

Be nice everyone.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Basementfellow

Post by Basementfellow » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 am

staunchly pro skub myself
Iceborn wrote:I shall very inefficiently murder with a spoon the next individual that mentions Shrek.

SkipiusEsq
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by SkipiusEsq » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:10 pm

I understood the OP to be pointing out what he has experienced in the UD and how that experience has been the most positive for him; I did not understand it to be an attack on the surface. I concur with that position. Having played on the Surface (mostly Brog) and the UD, I have found the UD to be more rewarding as a player. That opinion is mostly driven by time zones of the community, with me finding more people in my timezone on the UD than in Brog. Obviously I will enjoy my time more playing with a community as opposed to a straggler here and there. Nevertheless, I am certain there are fantastic surface communities, and if I had the time to play multiple characters, I would likely get to know those communities.

Regarding UD vs. Surface: that is how I think things are supposed to be. Monster races are prohibited by the rules from entering a surface settlement en masse for obvious reasons. This rule needs to have an RP reason, and that reason is UDers do not trust surfacers and know that they would be killed on sight. A personal example: one of my UD characters was killed on the surface for simply speaking Undercommon. Not a worry, it played out fine. But when you have a character who is killed simply for his association with the UD, of course that character is going to mistrust surfacers. The UD is made up primarily of evil or evil-esque characters who are mistrustful of most (many of which because they themselves are untrustworthy). So one would expect a level of xenophobia. If the drow don't trust other drow, you can be certain they don't trust surface elves (i.e., "darthiir" which is translated to mean "surface elves" and "traitors"). The UD has been infiltrated at times by surface spies, so of course the characters do not trust outsiders and are wary of them. UD vs. Surface just makes sense.

The larger issue is that many (including me sometimes) have difficulty separating their characters from the player. This is understandable since a good RPer will immerse themselves in their character. The line between character and player can become blurred at times, so when a character is forced out of the UD or killed on the surface, the player takes it hurtfully. The goal needs to be for those of us who call Arelith home to do our best to separate the two. Your character won't always win the PvP encounter, but with good RP, your player always will.

To paraphrase one of the OP's later posts, we are all Arelithians and so we should foster an open community of players. That doesn't mean that we need to foster an open community of characters.

deserk

Post by deserk » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:45 pm

I would like the UD more if surfacers weren't such a regular sight in the Underdark, and that preferably the Outcast option was erased.

All surface races a part from dwarves and half-orcs do not have Darkvision, which means they would be utterly blind and helpless through most of the entirety of the Underdark, as most places have barely any illumination (or illumination only perceptible to races with Darkvision, such as Darkfire) or absolutely none at all.

The fact that surface races are such a regular sight in the UD does much to tamper with the experience and the immersion of playing an Underdark race, in my opinion. I think surface slaves are fine, since they would be by their nature pushed very much to the background of the setting rather than the forefront, and their survival would be their owner's responsibility.

Princess

Post by Princess » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:30 pm

I tried playing an UD character, a drow and I stopped playing them. Maybe its just a down time for drow players, but I was going in expecting maybe some drow house RP or anything like that. There is currently none, there is no active drow house in the UD/Andunor it seems at this time, yeah they log in from time to time perhaps on the weekend. I also agree with deserk, I walk into the Hub many times and its just filled with surfacers, most of them evil surfacers, slaves, but usually 50-60 percent of the players I see in the Hub are surfacers. It seems like a great place and fun if you want to play a monster race, but at this time I didn't know what to do with my drow.

I felt like back in the day the UD and Andunor was a fun place to have a drow house, drow RP, but in my experience the past month, it just was nonexistent,

satan

Post by satan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:45 am

Oh there are plenty of drow elves about doing their sneaky drow stuff.

Also lot of kobolds and orogs toddling and marching about, respectively.

Yes there are a lot of humans around, but that extra feat is very tempting isnt it?

It would be cool if the darkness was a thing, like people without darkvision had a permanent debuff or something. I feel that alone would sort out the immersion thing and the numbers would balance out.
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:20 am

I'd love to see a debuff to races without darkvision that's removed via ultravision or any light source.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Mythic

Post by Mythic » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:11 am

Here's the main difference between playing in the Underdark as opposed to on the surface.

Playing in the Underdark, You can be very "Pro-Active" in stories, As you are generally playing a "bad guy", be it Monster, Drow or Demon-Lover. The Role of the Antagonist is a very fun one, and not hard to pull off. But not easy to pull off well.

Comparatively, The Surface is Reactive, And as this is where I have most of my experience on the server, I would say causes a lot of burnout because of it.

I remember a time when there was nearly nothing but Reactive RP to the Underdark, Be it Raids what felt near-constantly (Thankfully has died down, But now produce way more interesting RP) an almost torturous amount of Slaver-RP (Which is a whole thing) and just a mess of bashed fixtures.

And I enjoyed a lot of it, Heck I still do, But playing as both and seeing both sides? It's a lot more fun to Do and Drive RP, Than constantly react.

As a whole, to echo a lot of others in this thread, I love both the surface and the underdark, We're all Arelith. If your Staunchly a Surface player, or Staunchly an Underdark player because the styles of RP elsewhere dont feel fun? More power to you! But always remember there are other players behind the characters your interacting with.

Wether that's throwing a hellball at a raiding Underdark party, Or Praising Lloth with a fresh elven sacrifice, just stay respectful of others RP and people will be respectful of yours. And if they're not, Then contact a DM.

Be good y'all.
Howling around all year long

let it trip

Post by let it trip » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:55 am

satan wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:45 am
Oh there are plenty of drow elves about doing their sneaky drow stuff.

Also lot of kobolds and orogs toddling and marching about, respectively.

Yes there are a lot of humans around, but that extra feat is very tempting isnt it?

It would be cool if the darkness was a thing, like people without darkvision had a permanent debuff or something. I feel that alone would sort out the immersion thing and the numbers would balance out.
wth I love this idea

I was almost about to suggest that humans, with their extra feat, should take darkvision feat if they want to be better adjusted to the life of an outcast but then I realised that can't be taken.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:32 am

garrbear758 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:20 am
I'd love to see a debuff to races without darkvision that's removed via ultravision or any light source.
That would be great, yes. It would add to the immersion. Light spell, torches, ultravision spell and the ultravision effect you can enchant to a piece lf equipment. There are dozens of ways to circumvent the disadvantage. Andunor is probably lit, due to freequent trafic, but most of the Underdark are not. Even a -4 to attack rolls and -4 dex saves should do the trick. Could be applied to other cavernous areas aswell, perhaps even outdoora, if the team thinks it would be a nice environment enhancing idea.

Apothys

Post by Apothys » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Just having areas darker in UD would be nice. Always feels like there is a bunch of lamps on in each cave or tunnel.

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:31 am

Apothys wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:38 pm
Just having areas darker in UD would be nice. Always feels like there is a bunch of lamps on in each cave or tunnel.
I personally like the Lowerdark areas. Brighter, colorful and I don't have to squint my eyes at the monitor!

Apothys

Post by Apothys » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:54 pm

Well Darkvision would help with that and torches, something never used in the Underdark or any cave network. Though its nice to be able to see clearly, it aint the dark, deadly and mysterious underdark i imagine, but thats just me :)

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:03 am

darkness impacts both UD and surface chars, please don't make me ram my gamma up just to play a videogame

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:08 am

Kuma wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:03 am
darkness impacts both UD and surface chars, please don't make me ram my gamma up just to play a videogame
Yeah, it is more fun to see the UD and appreciate it. Way better to have it lit up. If there was a penalty without darkvision or whatever, that is cool. But make it mechanical so it affects the character, not the player.

Still...if anyone wishes to experience it really dark and scary in the UD, they can always lower their own gamma? ;)

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:08 am

I hope some day I will enjoy the UD. Since the days of Udos, then Pit town, then Andunour, everytime I tried I always felt ignored, rejected, not belonging, cant find a faction I enjoy, etc etc. It's never like that on the surface for me. I've never pointed fingers and have never played with the same UD players more than once per 'era' as far as I know... Its a mystery to me. Maybe I'll try again soon.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too