NWN on Nintendo Switch coming December 3rd..

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: NWN on Nintendo Switch coming December 3rd..

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:44 am

Uh-oh

Aurian

Post by Aurian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:03 pm

Seeing all those people talk about Arelith as a 'free MMO version' on Reddit has me worried. I don't think a lot of console players are aware of the roleplaying aspect. Or that the 'actual' Neverwinter MMO is a re-release of a different game.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Aurian wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:03 pm
Seeing all those people talk about Arelith as a 'free MMO version' on Reddit has me worried. I don't think a lot of console players are aware of the roleplaying aspect.
Depending on new player volume it is inevitable that we're going to see new players that dont get, or send OOC messages. Just as in the early days of NWN, or the days and weeks after EE on Skal, we deal with it via friendly reminders and positive encouragement, and should not respond to those that might not know better in anger.

I built Skal specifically for this exact eventuality, and if it gets out of control we will enforce it as a starting location for new characters, just as I considered doing at the launch of EE.

With our only being available on Switch I don't actually anticipate that many new players, as I expect the vast majority will be far more interested in the single player campaigns - a pity really, as compared to ourselves much of that is extremely dated and really doesn't show NWN in the best light. I really wish I had been able to do for the OC what I was able to do for Tyrants.

Nowadays I think games really need to prove themselves in the first 45 minutes of gameplay.

GodofAwesomeness21

Post by GodofAwesomeness21 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:26 pm

Greetings.
As a matter of satisfying my own personal curiosity; Will Arelith be available to the Nintendo Switch users only when NwN EE hits soon ? I also noticed it is available for PS4.
thanks for answering a potentially already answered question. :D

Aurian

Post by Aurian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:33 pm

Irongron wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:16 pm
With our only being available on Switch I don't actually anticipate that many new players, as I expect the vast majority will be far more interested in the single player campaigns - a pity really, as compared to ourselves much of that is extremely dated and really doesn't show NWN in the best light. I really wish I had been able to do for the OC what I was able to do for Tyrants.

Nowadays I think games really need to prove themselves in the first 45 minutes of gameplay.
Huh, I thought we were accessible to Xbox players as well - just not on the PS4?

Thanks for the info, appreciated! That's reassuring to hear.

At least console players seem to get all of the premium modules along with the base game. Seems like a reasonably fair deal, except for PS4 players without online crossplay. Though maybe they get it added later?

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:40 pm

Xbox version will require a patch before Arelith becomes available, as for the future on PS4, again better asking on Beamdog forums than relying on me for second hand information, though I find cross play extremely doubtful on anything other than the the very biggest titles given Sony's history on the subject.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Irongron wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:16 pm

I built Skal specifically for this exact eventuality, and if it gets out of control we will enforce it as a starting location for new characters, just as I considered doing at the launch of EE.
With this in mind, I'm hoping that non-RPR 10 players (that is to say, people who aren't joining for the first time) will still be able to opt out of Skal as a starting zone, if it becomes enforced as the starting area to limit Console-ness. Enforced Skal is a fantastic way to make a lot of people (read: most) want to avoid making new characters like the plague.
what would fred rogers do?