Dev asking for help from the community

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Artenides

Dev asking for help from the community

Post by Artenides » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:05 pm

Guys,
I am working on a new feature for Arelith and I might need some help from the community, especially from those players that are familiar with weapons and armours for certain classes.

Please have a look at this table, make a copy and add a single item suggestion for each slot. Do not add items that have a race/alignment requirement and don't add an item that has higher level requirement than the actual level of the character (a level 10 char won't be able to equip a damask longsword for example). The idea is to make a strong, but not overpowered character with items.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
After you filled your own copy, please share the link to your spreadsheet here.
Thanks in advance!
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

Hunter548

Re: Dev asking for help from the community

Post by Hunter548 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:32 pm

What's the thinking here? Suggestions for the "best in slot" item for each build? Should these be existing arelith items/enchantable, or suggestions for new items?
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:48 pm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

*Edited for Share instead of Link, my bad.
Last edited by Orian_666 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:08 am

Why is it essential to this exercise that all the characters be singleclassed?

Nevrus
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Nevrus » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:01 am

I don't know the full extent of one-offs that drop but I've seen a lot of them and generally crafted is better

Ganus- Riding the Isle (Active)
Aura Bigstep - Got Out Ahead (Retired)
Egos Ironhide - Shelved
Consult a medical professional before believing anything Nevrus says.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:35 am

Remember to not just link your spreadsheet, but to SHARE it.

When it comes down to it, with the way Lore works in the game right now, every single melee character is best off using GMW scrolls on bronze weapons until they can afford their endgame weapon.
what would fred rogers do?

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks for those sharing your spreadsheets! The items for the slots should be a "good option" at certain levels, but they not necessarily should be the best. The items should be existing basic items (either crafted or looted) but without any additional enchants. No new items please.

Also, do not think about scrolls, wands, etc, just pick an item for each slot that can be used by those characters without any other requirements. Don't assume that a cleric should be able to cast GMW.

I cannot really share more info about this just yet, but multiclassing is off the table for these characters, that would make it super difficult to do at this stage. At some point in the future I might consider multiclasses as well, but at the moment the chars are pure single classes.
--
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:42 pm

I'm afraid we're going to need more details on what this is all for then, to make an informed decision, because for a lot of these class options there just aren't any really good options for specific slots that aren't enchanted. Basic crafted gear is very 'meh' past mid-level without further enchantments or runes, and can pale in comparison to what can be produced via enchantment (which makes sense, since enchanted gear is the staple for most slots) - either from scratch, or by 5%'ing found or crafted equipment.

It also just doesn't work to not presume a cleric can cast GMW or MV, since all clerics can cast GMW and MV - their standard equipment choices revolve around these facts. GMW scrolls are also readily and cheaply available to all PCs (and can even be purchased en masse off NPCs) and can be used by all characters in the current meta from L5 onwards (or L10, if you somehow can't get your hands on a very cheap +5 Lore ring, which can also be purchased from an NPC.)

Unless, of course, you're looking for gear sets to slap down on NPCs for something like hireable henchmen/mercenaries and the like, and relying on NWN AI to intelligently buff themselves accordingly with the resources they have available to them is simply not an option.
what would fred rogers do?

Mythic
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mythic » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:27 pm

Here, as best I can fill out w/Thematics too.

Howling around all year long

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Thanks for everyone that shared their spreadsheet, I have all the answers I needed! <3
--

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:07 pm

I've tried to avoid 5%s or rune gear for everything but the fine elven boots, since they're trivial to rune.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:32 pm

Flower Power wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:42 pm
I'm afraid we're going to need more details on what this is all for then, to make an informed decision, because for a lot of these class options there just aren't any really good options for specific slots that aren't enchanted. Basic crafted gear is very 'meh' past mid-level without further enchantments or runes, and can pale in comparison to what can be produced via enchantment (which makes sense, since enchanted gear is the staple for most slots) - either from scratch, or by 5%'ing found or crafted equipment.

It also just doesn't work to not presume a cleric can cast GMW or MV, since all clerics can cast GMW and MV - their standard equipment choices revolve around these facts. GMW scrolls are also readily and cheaply available to all PCs (and can even be purchased en masse off NPCs) and can be used by all characters in the current meta from L5 onwards (or L10, if you somehow can't get your hands on a very cheap +5 Lore ring, which can also be purchased from an NPC.)

Unless, of course, you're looking for gear sets to slap down on NPCs for something like hireable henchmen/mercenaries and the like, and relying on NWN AI to intelligently buff themselves accordingly with the resources they have available to them is simply not an option.
Still don't know where this npc is lol