What kind of interaction would the surface/underdark want from the other?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

JustMonika

Re: What kind of interaction would the surface/underdark want from the other?

Post by JustMonika » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:20 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:43 pm
But in the other threads Grumpy agreed you basically have to be a mini dm and also said something about giving us tools.
Now...here's what I see as a previous tabletop dm and a new player here on Arelith.
Wait? What?

No.

Ok it's ENCOURAGED to do so via the RPR system. If you want to, and are able to, master it then your RPR
may well be higher than if you don't. But you don't HAVE to. If you HAD to then we'd simply ban everyone who wasn't a 40 rpr.
And we'd have very few players.
That's one way to solve the server resource problem!

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:26 am

So the first thing I need to get of my chest about this is the hate and spiteful comments received when trying to RP with opposite alignments or UDers rather then immediately rage and murder.

With that out of the way I LOVE players who go through the effort of doing small things for other players. Making others be in the spotlight or getting people involved in their own character development stories is great. Some of the most memorable events for me have been other players development. Specifically a Feylock comes to mind who created Yarrow plants and changed the description to have them poisoned and then allowed us to help him in breaking his pact. It was so cool.

I don’t mind the occasional raids or ambushes on either side but agree with what other people said in that it should be done in moderation. I love player conflicts. But I will always resort to RP over PVP as a first choice. Always.

I really like some of the ideas given here. They mostly seem focused on UDers doing things on the surface. But equally there should be something surfacers can do in the UD. Like being forced to work together to defeat an even greater evil for example. Or help cleanse evil mushrooms that could threaten the surface as well. Darn those evil mushrooms!

What about a magic herb that only grows in the UD and is needed to save someone on the surface. You must collect all your friends for protection.

A Druid/druids or just a generally happy person who don’t believe the UD has enough green and leaves fixtures of plants and flowers to brighten it up a little.

Maybe a group of Surface knowledge/history seekers who go to the UD to find or procure rare books or find rare artefacts there. Maybe needing to interact or seek information from UDers.

Secret information exchanges to give tactical or strategic advantages.

I don’t agree, although I guess I kinda understand, pushing out a player purely because they are drow or because they are human or elf or whatever. I’ve met so many great players on Arelith. Lovely people and enjoyed every interaction with them. Even if they are the opposite to my characters values, if I have enjoyable interactions with them I will happily try to make it work and RP with them (within reason) even if it’s RP hostility or whatever.

I don’t think it’s fair to force players to go into hit and kill mode or ask them not to interact with each other just because their deity doesn’t like my deity or visa versa or whatever the reason is.

NWN is an old game and although during peak times we have tonnes of players on during down times, restricting people to play with others is really limiting RP. Especially for people in my time zone.

I’d love to have more reasons to explore the UD 😄

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:14 am

Villainous characters in my opinion have an especially high burden of responsibility, because they have to delicately balance being horrific IC with being decent OOC, and in my opinion this takes an uncommon level of skill to do well.

I've seen drow bump in to surfacers in the underdark and then simulate the torturous removal of their ears. I don't know how this serves anyone, or how it's good roleplay, or how it's even a reasonable thing for human beings to do to eachother.

To me a good villain will find a way to win the battle, but not the war. In this way villainy can have a place in the game, but good can ultimately triumph over evil. I know a lot of people will reject that as a value we should shoot for in a persistent world, but I think it's a good one.

Crookedblossom
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Crookedblossom » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:14 am

Regardless of what players would like to see, there are clear rules regarding interactions laid out throughout various policies available on the wiki, such as The Definitive Drow Policy and Why, playing Good/Neutral monster characters, etc.

Because to be blunt, there is a fine line to toe between hostile RP vs. tea and biscuits. But again, there are definitive policies in place to act as a guide of how your character should/would probably react upon seeing a monster. Ergo, there is nothing wrong with reacting with immediate hostile intent. It’s not a reflection of you as a player, it is you simply following the guidelines set forth by the team.

That being said, hostile RP can occur without PvP (though you shouldn’t be surprised if PvP does happen, this is a PvP-enabled server after all.) RP is required to happen before PvP occurs still, so this must be met regardless. But to enter a typically hostile situation with OOC expectation that players will bend for your idea is, I think, getting a bit meta. You should always consider the situation from the perspective of your character and be willing to accept it and move on if your desired outcome was not met, so long as server rules were not broken.

Discriminating based on race or faith is typical of a fantasy setting and, more often than not, are the driving forces of interesting stories and character arcs. It’s important to not take these things personally, as a player. If a certain Surface character isn’t interacting with your monster in ways you had hoped, perhaps consider taking a step back and looking at your approach. Are there other, more creative ways your monster can get their attention? Are you respecting the policies regarding monster characters on the surface? Don’t jump to the immediate assumption that the player of said character just isn’t interested in playing with you.

Sorry for the long rant, but I think this is an issue that is steeped in confusion and misuse.

Gilbert K

Post by Gilbert K » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:35 am

This is focused mostly on monster races and it's coming from someone who primarily plays on the Surface. But I'd like to see a better understanding of what it means to be a monster.

Arelith is one of the only servers out there that allows us to play as monsters. To paraphrase Jjjerm, the original server owner, this is a privilege, not a right. Barring using an award, your monster character is not good-aligned. They are not a hero born from the unfortunate circumstance of being a monster. And even if they are good-aligned, they're still not likely to be accepted on the surface without extensive trials through roleplay. And even then, they shouldn't dare show their faces in public settings.

So what would I like to see? Well...have you ever watched one of those huge LARPs that take place over the course of several days and has a bunch of people who pay to get involved in the narrative? People who are there for their first year and want to learn the culture, or people who want to be involved but don't want to pay the fee to play an actual character are relegated to playing as the monsters. I want that, except the opposite: I want our monster players to be volunteers who make the world seem more big and scary when they come to the surface.

I want to have faith that our monster players are here to actually play a monsters in our setting and don't think they're Drizz't. Likewise, I want our Surface players to not see a monster and think "I'm going to cuddle this thing because I know deep down, it's good, probably." It's on both sides to make realistic and enjoyable experiences with this.

I'll end this with the obligatory "hostile roleplay doesn't have to mean PvP, yada yada" thing.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post by Sic Semper Tyrannis » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:32 am

I play this type of Tyrran:
Intolerance and humorlessness was a common trait found among the faithful within the church of Tyr. This stark perspective extended into their outlook on life in the Realms, that the contrast between right and wrong was evident, and the justice they delivered was no laughing matter.
I don't PvP much. I have a lot of conflict with the character that is generated by his adherence to a black/white world. The best RP I've had so far is with people who have differing beliefs, but are more willing to RP out those differences than test builds. PvP is fine, but I like the good simmer of interactions that have depth.

Finding a way to RP with others that doesn't break immersion is my goal. My Tyrran Paladin will never be friendly with Drow. He will likely always be an angry old man, full of hate towards those of the Underdark. But I still want to find a common way where we can still RP, even if only in small segments.

That's what I want out of Surface/UD interactions. Acceptance of the basic rules of immersion, but willingness to work together to find some way to RP at times.

Currently: Madison Sabel
Retired: Emily Azuretide, Aremis Keidos, Mackenzie Graves

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:53 am

DangerDolphin wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:08 pm
Hi! My ideas for the kind of encounters/plots I would enjoy seeing as a surface player:

Drow raid the surface to defile a shrine to a goodly deity. Coming across novice adventurers, they gloat at their inability to protect their temples and fade away into the dark before powerful surface forces can be rallied.

A group of starving goblins sneak up to the farms outside Cordor and steal all the crops. Any surfacers they come across, they demand hand over all food and ale on their person before they are allowed to leave.

A caravan of Duergar merchants set up shop outside Cordor in the outskirts selling rare forge goods. They also have some under the counter illegal items (Like poison) but not mentioned to anyone but those who ask. (Not sure this one would actually work right now, given the current administration)

A group of human outcasts set up a surface camp because the oppressive darkness and claustrophobia is driving them mad. Local authorities are suspicious and hostile to them, but goodly Ilmateri priests take pity and try to help them, sparking a furious debate.

A tribe of kobolds hears stories of a dragon on the surface and take a pilgrimage to visit it. They try to hide from most surfacers, but may also come out to interrogate lone wanders about the location.

An Orog warlord takes over the arena at Sibayad and challengers surfacers to fight him in single combat. He pledges that if he is defeated, he will return to the Underdark for another two months. If he wins however, he demands concessions from the loser...
This stuff sounds cool.

I also like the big pvp mash ups that sometimes come from "raids", but I wish there was more build up and purpose to them sometimes. I realize there is only so much a player can do as far as that goes alone, and if you can get a group of like minded players together to do anything like a raid you are probably doing an awesome job, but an organized strike on cordor's docks to weaken cordor's navy if only for a time is a way better story then xantradrow's crew raided cordor again, or guldorand, or whatever. Especially if there is some dm collaboration that requires some set up missions for said drow before they can pull the big job off. But ultimately for stuff like this to really matter there needs to be a lingering effect, and I get the impression (perhaps a wrong one!) that the powers that be on arelith seem hesitant to go that far except in extreme circumstances.

I also really liked the guy who said trying not to kill someone in the first encounter was a good way to go even if a fight breaks out, and all that jazz about running away sometimes. I'm just too tired to cut and paste the quote :)

Void

Post by Void » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:38 pm

Gobbo Champion Inc wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:42 pm
Posting the question into its own thread, rather then into one of the existing ones, so it can hopefully be started free of baggage from past threads.

I have noted over the past couple years that there is often dramatic differences in what players see as meaningful, and enjoyable interaction with other characters, factions, and settlements.

The question being posed in this thread is specifically what kind of interaction, conflict, and General rp players would like from those on the other side of the UD/Surface divide? Also, if it can be done without sparking a forum war, what kind of interaction is not desirable?
Not really interested in heavy cross-realm interaction, aside from occasional small encounters.

I mean, bumping into random wanderer (or a small group) from the other side can be fun, especially if it is possible to talk the way out of the encounter. Those are interesting, especially because characters I play have no obligation to murder every trespasser they see.

But huge hostile raids, "drow defiling shrine" or "surfacers trying to bring light to underdark even though nobody asked them" can be annoying. Those kind of events make sense as dm driven event, because they can be resolved when they're controlled by a dm. However, when a player sends raiding parties to the other side, then those raids can keep repeating forever without ever stopping. Because the player can't be removed from the world. And that is not really interesting.

So, basically... if a trespasser moves from A to B for some goal and you bump into them, and they're willing to talk, that is fun.
Anything that results in mass pvp, however, usually is not.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Thalion

Post by Thalion » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:36 am

As a player new to the UD, i do intend to frequent the surface for varying RP reasons. it would be nice if every encounter does not end with "gank the underdarker!". i very much dislike PvP in almost every setting (save a few) and would love for some creative interactions like " why are you here? what do you want " more than " begone from these lands foul being! " i hope to bring less confrontation (in the form of pvp ) in my UD to Surface interactions.

By all means, meet me with mistrust and scrutiny, scare me away or run from me as you want. But most of all, interact with me. we are all here for the RP in the end :)

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:46 am

As much as finding ways to roleplay certain situations where its not wonky is always preferred, the setting calls for monster races to be enemies of the common races. That can't really be forgotten, and something like an elf running into a drow is more then likely going to result in some form of combat.

Where things can be improved in my humble opinion however is what that combat means in practice. Is it a contest to see which is the more powerful character In pvp? Or is it about creating a story, which might mean the drow leaving a clue as to why he was up there in the first place somehow before retreating from a bunch of elves...despite mechanically being able to pwn them all?

I'm sure you can tell by how I phrased that question which side I am for, but its not because I am anti kicking Snuggybear in video games. Its just because this game in particular is so much better when a story develops over time.

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:34 am

Agreed with Babylon - I think a lot of people don't realize or don't even agree when it is their responsibility to make things fun in RP.

If you are level 30 and in a hostile encounter with level 10s, or have a mob of epics against one "enemy" it should be your responsibility to make things fun for the other party rather than just throwing a death spell at them.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:36 pm

My last character Tasha Menson was attacked in the city where she lived by a group of fully warder gansters , killed then raised for torture.

The encounter was not mutch rp just a lure and then my character was jumped and got 1 tapped by a kill spell.
My character had it comming in game though.

Now some of you may not like this sort of stuff but i do....I like finding out my actions have consequences.

And yes i also like it when im a level 5 and am walking from cordor to the arcane tower and 2 bandits jump out of the bushes to mug me....Any thing to shake up my day with some rp spice is something i wil look forward to.

We are all people playing the game here , and as always people like difrent things in the game and that all cool but to say its the high levels responsibility to make things fun is wrong , it falls down to both players.
Personaly i played some pirates/bandits and to many times have i seen people not value their lives for 500 gold or for 4 greenstone gems.

Grunf

Post by Grunf » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:47 am

I like work around the edges what already is there, Cordor dislikes Brog or opposite than seeking way to further that conflict, the same as surfacer in Andunor, pushing districts against each other.

I like when its done via proxy so opposite side needs to invest effort to find out the true motives and "the mastermind" itself behind it what than sparks larger clash.

But aye, giving ppl options how losing can be fun would bring so much good RP, so its up to us players how we lead and accept such events.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:44 pm

To pop in quickly here.

As DM/Devs we don't neccesarly expect you guys to be PvPing each other on sight. That's not the point.

But (generally speaking(*)) neither should you be on trusting, friendly terms.

There is middle ground between 'Kill On Sight' and 'Tea and Crumpets.' We like people to work towards that middle ground.

(*) There may be situations, as with Good Monsters, or with Two Evil Characters, wherein some sort of alliance/trust/care may be made. And thats fine too. The key thing to remember though, is that even if, for whatever reason, you think said monster is good/trustworthy/useful, the NPC population will not, and never will. NPCs will ALWAYS hate and dispise monster pcs, reguardless of alignment or class. Doesn't matter if the entire PC population of the Radient Heart is screaming that your Paladin Orog is the sweetest, goodest, kindest purest soul who's saved 10000 slaves, saved the world three times, rescues kittens and has a writ of passage by Torm himself... they won't want said Orog chilling out in their halls. Same with Cordor, Myon, Guldorand ect.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:20 pm

Three short stories:

1. My first character on Arelith was a human wizard that ended up being an apprentice at the Arcane Tower. His master was also a (very awesome) player that showed me the world and the mechanics. One day (I think I was like level 15, still an apprentice) he decided to take me to the underdark for a quick expedition. He told me that the place was very dangerous, if we see drows, we run for our life.
We managed to get to the overpass when we spotted two drows. My master yelled "Run!" and we fled. He played an epic level character that could have easily killed the two drows (that were like level 6-8, maybe?) with a single spell but he decided to respect their territory. Later I found out that he messaged the drow players and told them that they can chase us if they wanted, we would be running for our lives.

2. Once (while playing another surfacer) I bumped into a drow patrol on the ice road. They surrounded me and their leader approached. I decided to lie about my intentions and told them I was a merchant. Their leader told me that if I gave them a gift then they let me off the hook. I brought my freedom with two uncut gems. Later they messaged me and thanked me that I went along with the story, not initiating pvp.

3. During a surface raid a drow char was captured and imprisoned. We found out that the player was from a very different timezone, so it took about a week to schedule an occasion when the interrogation rp could happen. He decided not to play his char for a week, waiting for us to finally continue the story together. During the interrogation he escaped, killing one of the guards (also a player).

I think as long as everyone can have their moment to shine the story will be good. Raiding the surface can be interesting occasionally, but these events should be rare. Personally I would like to see more spying and information gathering interactions between surfacers and UDers, when surfacers trying to interfering with UD stuff and vice versa. Establishing trading would be also fun. Imagine a material that is relatively easy to gather on the surface but very difficult to find in the underdark. Merchants would bring these materials to trade (for maybe materials that are easy to get in the UD but not on the surface).

I would also like to see interactions that would unite surfacers and underdarkers for a very short period of time, like facing a common threat or something.
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

let it trip

Post by let it trip » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:36 am

DangerDolphin wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:08 pm
Hi! My ideas for the kind of encounters/plots I would enjoy seeing as a surface player:

Drow raid the surface to defile a shrine to a goodly deity. Coming across novice adventurers, they gloat at their inability to protect their temples and fade away into the dark before powerful surface forces can be rallied.

A group of starving goblins sneak up to the farms outside Cordor and steal all the crops. Any surfacers they come across, they demand hand over all food and ale on their person before they are allowed to leave.

A caravan of Duergar merchants set up shop outside Cordor in the outskirts selling rare forge goods. They also have some under the counter illegal items (Like poison) but not mentioned to anyone but those who ask. (Not sure this one would actually work right now, given the current administration)

A group of human outcasts set up a surface camp because the oppressive darkness and claustrophobia is driving them mad. Local authorities are suspicious and hostile to them, but goodly Ilmateri priests take pity and try to help them, sparking a furious debate.

A tribe of kobolds hears stories of a dragon on the surface and take a pilgrimage to visit it. They try to hide from most surfacers, but may also come out to interrogate lone wanders about the location.

An Orog warlord takes over the arena at Sibayad and challengers surfacers to fight him in single combat. He pledges that if he is defeated, he will return to the Underdark for another two months. If he wins however, he demands concessions from the loser...

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:23 am

"What kind of interaction would the surface/underdark want from the other?"
Personal opinion? None, frankly. If I cared about UD lore/setting I would play there. Without casting judgements, it brings me no enjoyment, and any interaction with UD raiders is done with grudging patience in the spirit of being a good sport about it.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:52 pm

"What kind of interaction would the surface/underdark want from the other?"
For me? As often as possible. I enjoy conflict a lot, especially when it involves mechanical PvP. I love participating in UD/surface raids, whether as the target or one of the raiders! The less friendly RP between UDers and surfacers, the better. IMO, interactions between these groups should always escalate to hostility quickly. An elf making friends with a drow or a halfling falling in love with a kobold shouldn't be a thing.

I understand that these things could occasionally happen in the setting, but we need to remember that we're playing characters that represent only a small part of the total population. Everyone wants to be unique. We all want to be the exception that proves the rule. But the server is so small that we can't all be special without normalizing it. Imagine living in a small town where everyone was That Guy. No thanks.

I'm sure most of us would agree that it would be a significant issue if even 10% of Faerun's elves had a drow for a best friend. Your one elven character, no matter how unique and quirky they might be, may represent 10% of the active elven player population on Arelith at any given time.

Don't be another statistic. Just say no to making friends with that drow. It's the right thing to do.

In my view, the closest to accepted a monster race should ever get on the surface is being allowed to nip into Sibayad to purchase some slaves while wearing a heavy disguise. Even then, the monster should always feel afraid for their life.

I'm a big fan of the 'solo predators' who use hit-and-run tactics against settlements. It enhances the atmosphere with a lot of tension. However, when the naughtyboi dies and gets bashed, that's when I think it should stop. Dying and coming back the next day for more? It gets old. Please give it a week or two after you get beaten. It'll make things more satisfying for everyone involved.

Don't become that guy who refuses an interaction and tries to walk away, then pretends it never happened after the fact. Just say no to ignoring the consequence of death. It's the right thing to do.

I agree strongly with this sentiment:
Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:00 am
My most fun I've ever had with UDers is when my character actually knew their name - we were known to each other. We had some kind of vested interest in one another.
Dying to Generic GoH Kobold Powerbuild #72 who is circle grinding orclands to hit 26 and -delete_character is not fun for anyone (outside the momentary adrenaline spike from PvP). Fighting Vippin, that gods damned infamous kobold who keeps kidnapping people and casting terrible spells on them? That's much more fun.

tl;dr: UD and surface bash smash, yes yes! No cuddle cuddle or bang bang, no no! When die by player sword, be dead, yes yes! No ignore death and return to lesbian sexy elven fun times, no no!

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:18 pm

Liareth wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:52 pm
I love participating in UD/surface raids, whether as the target or one of the raiders! The less friendly RP between UDers and surfacers, the better.
I have been the target of an UD raid once and been on them half a dozen times as a raider. As a victim, I enjoyed it but wouldn't want it to be a regular occurrence, I think drow raids should be rare. It would be awful if I RP'd escaping after several days then ran into another right after :D

As an UD raider, I actually felt much more negative about it. We went up to the surface a lot with no goal other than to kill/enslave people and I really felt we gave a bad experience to people we met. I strongly believe that UD raids need to have a stronger RP goal that isn't just a raid, such as targeting particular towns, disrupting trade, scaring surfacers out of certain caves that they feel 'belong' to them, Drow threatening people to spy on Myon for them, and so forth. I hate that so many encounters just end in a PK massacre.

There is a huge gulf between elf and drow holding hands and elf and drow PKing each other after 2 lines of RP, and many cases where the races aren't quite as opposed as elf and drow. I can definitely see a CE goblin taking gold from surface humans to sell out secrets and guide them in the UD (Though maybe also leading some people into a trap if paid off enough by another side)

There is also definately trade between the UD and surface, which I can see a Paladin or Elf being opposed to, but many other traders would be less rigid on: http://www.forgottenadventures.com/FRIn ... basics.htm

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:25 pm

DangerDolphin wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:18 pm
As an UD raider, I actually felt much more negative about it. We went up to the surface a lot with no goal other than to kill/enslave people and I really felt we gave a bad experience to people we met. I strongly believe that UD raids need to have a stronger RP goal that isn't just a raid, such as targeting particular towns, disrupting trade, scaring surfacers out of certain caves that they feel 'belong' to them, Drow threatening people to spy on Myon for them, and so forth. I hate that so many encounters just end in a PK massacre.
It definitely depends on the quality of the raiders. A low effort group might go straight for kills like a starving dog after a slab of meat. This tends to piss off the people who die but can still lead to a satisfying story once the good guys raise a sufficient force to fight them off. I am admittedly biased because my surface raiding experience has always been part of a quality group of players that ensure everyone is having fun. There are people out there who just hate any form of conflict, and those players will always suffer in circumstances like these, but we can't all be happy all the time.

A previous post covered my thoughts about this perfectly, so I'll just quote it here...
Invader_Nym wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:14 am
Villainous characters in my opinion have an especially high burden of responsibility, because they have to delicately balance being horrific IC with being decent OOC, and in my opinion this takes an uncommon level of skill to do well.

I've seen drow bump in to surfacers in the underdark and then simulate the torturous removal of their ears. I don't know how this serves anyone, or how it's good roleplay, or how it's even a reasonable thing for human beings to do to eachother.

To me a good villain will find a way to win the battle, but not the war. In this way villainy can have a place in the game, but good can ultimately triumph over evil. I know a lot of people will reject that as a value we should shoot for in a persistent world, but I think it's a good one.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:49 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:44 pm
To pop in quickly here.

As DM/Devs we don't neccesarly expect you guys to be PvPing each other on sight. That's not the point.

But (generally speaking(*)) neither should you be on trusting, friendly terms.

There is middle ground between 'Kill On Sight' and 'Tea and Crumpets.' We like people to work towards that middle ground.

(*) There may be situations, as with Good Monsters, or with Two Evil Characters, wherein some sort of alliance/trust/care may be made. And thats fine too. The key thing to remember though, is that even if, for whatever reason, you think said monster is good/trustworthy/useful, the NPC population will not, and never will. NPCs will ALWAYS hate and dispise monster pcs, reguardless of alignment or class. Doesn't matter if the entire PC population of the Radient Heart is screaming that your Paladin Orog is the sweetest, goodest, kindest purest soul who's saved 10000 slaves, saved the world three times, rescues kittens and has a writ of passage by Torm himself... they won't want said Orog chilling out in their halls. Same with Cordor, Myon, Guldorand ect.
I don't know, if Torm himself vouched for the orog paladin dude (very implausible scenario) and radiant heart folk, folk who shouldn't be acting in fear like some kind of village commoners, I think said institute may need some serious reformations to let their hate take priority over the vouching of Torm. (And would/should if said implausible thing happened as the few resistant npcs would be the minority to the "entire pc population" in regards to the Radiant Heart).

That being said, what you said generally makes sense (correct me if I am wrong) but the weight of npc opinion seems more real/relevant in places where the PC presence becomes less relevant than NPC. Like quickly shopping in Sibayad as a kobold. Might get away with it. Visiting Sencliff, totally dependent on player climate. Visiting surface Grove? I have no clue, but surely it is not as npc opinion based as visiting Cordor; armies of normal folk.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:38 am

I for one love the near constant raids back and forth and i say there should be more of them not less. Lv 30s tend to get bored as there is not much to do at that point. Having an ongoing war gives people something to do and focus on instead of wandering aimlessly from town to town waiting for a dm event to occur. Its this kind of conflict that was absent from my previous server and Arelith is far better for it.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:08 am

I must say that over the last two weeks some of my views have definately changed. I enjoy the conflict between the good guys and the bad guys yeah and the occassional raid. I know it's not for everyone though so I suppose a middle ground has to be found somewhere. But I certainly believe there needs to be way more opportunities for the two parties to play together. So many UDers and so many Surfacers are just so wonderful and I'd love to experience more of both sides of RP.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

Zan

Post by Zan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:30 pm

I play one of the very few folks that plays both sides against the middle. There are sensational RPers both on Surface and in the UD. Conflict and tension is great, when it's actually done well. I've no problems with PvP when it comes at the end of some RP build up, I also have no problems with RP conflict that does /not/ result in PvP.

Whats not so fun is no RP PvP, and murder hobos.

We're all here to play a game, and all get different things out of the game, I know some outstanding PvPers who always give an out to folks from an RP perspective to avoid a conflict if thats what the other person wants. If we all try to be a little bit more respectful and conscious of the player at the other side of the conflict, we can all have fun.
Current Char: Khael'dar

"Understanding is a Three-Edged Sword"

three wolf moon

Post by three wolf moon » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:09 pm

As someone who frequently participates in response pvp to raids, I'd say my biggest frustration is when raiders lazily trawl areas where newbs/midbies roam, and especially just camping portals (going to go ahead and name drop the Minmir Nexus here. Stop camping it. It's lame.)

You don't have to kill every single person you come across. If you come across someone who is low level, or unprepared, let them go with some menacing rp. Let them run away and spread warnings as you keep moving (movement is so important, see above note about camping.) Yes that puts you at something of a disadvantage, but I guarantee you you'll have much less sour feelings and more RP generated. Have an objective or target in mind and leave other things alone. Hell, you can even have an objective that isn't pvp-based, bash or steal something made by a character who has wronged you.

Which brings me in to my next point: to have a REASON for doing what you're doing. Conflict is the spice of life, yes. I don't shy away from pvp. However, if you have a flimsy reason or no reason at all, it's going to annoy your opponents. Give roleplay a chance and allow surfacers to develop a rivalry or grudge with your character/group, it feels much more organic and more rewarding.

Some of the most fun stories I've been involved in involving underdark villains haven't ended in pvp at all. While this evidence is anecdotal, to me it speaks of not using mechanics when rp would do just fine.