Remake my character

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dembethecat

Remake my character

Post by Dembethecat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:21 pm

How do I remake my character ?

He is lvl 15.

It is a bit unclear to me if I still need to wait for DM approval to do so, or I can just go ahead and do it myself.
I know I will lose all items, gold etc.

But I still keep the exp right ?

Thanks

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Remake my character

Post by MalKalz » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:51 pm

Dembethecat wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:21 pm
How do I remake my character ?

He is lvl 15.

It is a bit unclear to me if I still need to wait for DM approval to do so, or I can just go ahead and do it myself.
I know I will lose all items, gold etc.

But I still keep the exp right ?

Thanks
Hi,

You can -delete_character twice under level 16 to remake a character. You will lose all EXP / Gold / Items and will have to start from level 3 once more.

You do not need approval from a DM to do this. Only time you need our assistance is if you are above 15 where you would qualify for a reward.

Hope that helps.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:04 pm

I think that DMs can also drop you down to level 3 on the same character you're playing, if i'm not mistaken. Sadly Arelith doesn't give you back your XP when remaking.

Dembethecat

Post by Dembethecat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:19 pm

And to rebuild ? So not changing the original stats.

This is also possible but in this case you don't lose exp & items right ?

Thanks

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:33 pm

There are no offered rebuilds where you retain your experience. You’d have your items, but you’d have to level up again.

Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:34 pm

the command is -losexp [number] to lose however much exp you want. You won't lose items or gold (though if you go below an item's min level it will be unequipped and maybe dropped, iirc) but won't be able to redo your creation stats.

EDIT: Yeah, as Spyre just said you won't get the xp back. So if you wanna make any wands, now's the time.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:49 pm

The command -losexp was disabled.

I still think there should be an alternative in place to alleviate pressure of DMs to be present and give some freedom to players, even if it is time locked for X number of days after the command is used.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:53 pm

Spyre wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:49 pm
I still think there should be an alternative in place to alleviate pressure of DMs to be present and give some freedom to players, even if it is time locked for X number of days after the command is used.
this seems reasonable and good

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:29 pm

Kuma wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:53 pm
Spyre wrote:
this seems reasonable and good
As maker of many mistakes and the DMs are less and less on my time zone, I am adding a +1.
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aradin » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:01 pm

Spyre wrote:
Agreed. I'm all for some kind of harsh penalty that discourages frequent use of losing xp, but it would be nice to not have to wrangle a DM for personal assistance on it. It feels like a DM's time could be better spent doing other things, and a player's time could be better spent not waiting to have a DM around.

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Aradin wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:01 pm
Spyre wrote:
Agreed. I'm all for some kind of harsh penalty that discourages frequent use of losing xp, but it would be nice to not have to wrangle a DM for personal assistance on it. It feels like a DM's time could be better spent doing other things, and a player's time could be better spent not waiting to have a DM around.
It's also kind of a crummy feeling to just be gaining RP xp while you wait, that you know is all just going to go down the drain.

Righ

Post by Righ » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:59 pm

A semi-related question: If you were to request that a certain amount of exp be removed from your character, does it take away levels in the order they were gained? In other words if Levels 1 - 6 were Bard, Levels 7 - 9 were Fighter, Levels 10 - 15 were Bard, and I wanted to remove 3 levels, would that just drop 3 Bard levels, or could I get rid of the Fighter levels that were taken in the middle?

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 pm

You can only drop levels in the reverse order they were gained.
So you can never delete your first level. In your example, to lose your fighter levels you would have to be returned to level 6.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Gwenneth_Corvain

Post by Gwenneth_Corvain » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:22 am

A different aspect of this: Not everyone is out to race to 30.

-loosexp used to be my method of staying in level range with a friend i like to play my character with as we have different amounts of playtime.
I know it could be used for weird wizard spellbook shenenigans and was therefor removed, but It was the only real means of leveling -slower- than the system thinks you should.

With no means to keep played characters in range with friends anymore it sadly has been replaced by just not playing my character.
Some means to "stop gaining XP" or a -loosexp that only allows you to drop to the beginning of your current level again would go a long way to address this aspect.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:45 am

There are a few ways to drop XP down to the bottom of your current level. Scribing scroll if you're a wizard, stuff like that. Dying over and over though that may be an exploit or just annoying.

But more importantly if you want to slow down you should play in adventure mode (-adventure command) assuming that's still an option. That will slow xp gained down by half for now and you get lots of nice adventure XP later.

You can also choose not to click on "level up" until your friend catches up. You won't gain any XP until you complete leveling up and can keep it that way indefinitely.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:00 am

crafting magic items is harder to do now that you get the XP back immediately as adventure XP.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Gwenneth_Corvain

Post by Gwenneth_Corvain » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:15 am

Wuthering wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:45 am
There are a few ways to drop XP down to the bottom of your current level. Scribing scroll if you're a wizard, stuff like that. Dying over and over though that may be an exploit or just annoying.

But more importantly if you want to slow down you should play in adventure mode (-adventure command) assuming that's still an option. That will slow xp gained down by half for now and you get lots of nice adventure XP later.

You can also choose not to click on "level up" until your friend catches up. You won't gain any XP until you complete leveling up and can keep it that way indefinitely.
-->Crafting / Enchanting to burn XP i tried - but it burns a huge amount of gold - earning it back tends to yield more XP just from timed ticks than was lost.

-->Dying: this felt like abusing mechanics to me. And it has IC-impact if there is corpses of my character but no real story to it.

-->Adventure-XP: Already on it.

-->Not using the level up: Thanks! That works!

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:02 pm

A brief summery, covering some of the things already said on this thread.

*There is currently no way to 're-level.' You can however de-level. If you De-level with a DMs help, you keep everything except the xp, which you must regain yourself.
*If you need to completely 'remake' your character, you need to be deleveled to 15 (with a DMs aid) and then delete your character. You will loose EVERYTHING (gold, xp, items, property, ect) but can keep the rp of your character. Further more, if you do this you must either give your character a very slightly different name on the remake, or else wait until the next reset after -deleting to remake. This will aviod bugs.
*If you delete a character over level 16 and get an award, you are not allowed to remake the character. The price of an award is that the character is gone forever from arelith, and may not reappear.
* There is no current way to de-level except by Dm aid. All other methods will take you to the lowest point of your current level, but not below it.
* We may relook at returning to the -loose xp command, perhaps with a significant time limit, or allow it only a few times per character. But it was being abused in its prior inception.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aradin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:14 pm

Out of curiosity, how was it being abused? The removal of -losexp was before my time here.

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Cherryblossom

Post by Cherryblossom » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:57 pm

As far that I could remember... there were suddenly new spells for Wizards and Sorceres... And everyone was deleveling to get the new spells... Thats what I have heard but not really sure if it is also true...
Even in numbers, a weakling is a weakling still

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:35 pm

People were using L30 to gain crafting feats or dweomercrafting tiers, making themselves their end game gear, and losing those feats/tiers in order to take a more mechanically powerful choice.

It's a shame that we lost -losexp over a number of bad apples, but here we are.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:25 pm

Wuthering wrote:

I think you can put yourself in "adventure mode" where all your killing mobs exp goes straight to your adventure pool instead of your character

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:39 pm

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:25 pm
Wuthering wrote:

I think you can put yourself in "adventure mode" where all your killing mobs exp goes straight to your adventure pool instead of your character
No, you get 50% xp now, but then 100% of the xp goes into your adventure pool. So the way I understand it, it is almost always beneficial to have -adventure mode on, because you'll wind up getting 150% xp once it all filters in. The only reason you wouldn't want it on I guess if for some reason you need a bunch of xp quickly, I guess if you are racing to get to a new level to get a certain feat or spell you just HAVE to have by a certain time.

Can someone confirm?

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:01 pm

R0GUE wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:39 pm
malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:25 pm
Wuthering wrote:

No, you get 50% xp now, but then 100% of the xp goes into your adventure pool. So the way I understand it, it is almost always beneficial to have -adventure mode on, because you'll wind up getting 150% xp once it all filters in. The only reason you wouldn't want it on I guess if for some reason you need a bunch of xp quickly, I guess if you are racing to get to a new level to get a certain feat or spell you just HAVE to have by a certain time.

Can someone confirm?
If you have the desire to level up quickly, leaving adventure mode off is more viable. Writs will easily put you in the 80-100K range by level 21, so there's no reason to use the mode.

But yes, 50% now and 100% trickled in slowly if you turn adventure mode on.

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:23 pm

Well, I'm just speaking as someone who didn't do enough writs between 1-20 and now I never have a bank of adventure xp bigger than about 500. I mostly RP, and don't really have time or a stable group to go on big monster runs or anything. I'm obviously not the best example though.