Switch players

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

maxpolishguy

Switch players

Post by maxpolishguy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:44 am

Alright, so first of all I don't want to sound rude or elitist. This post is not a rant, I just want to understand a few things about playing on the Switch.

I play a Cordor guard who constantly has to tell new people to put their weapons away. I have noticed a lot of Switch players have a hard time communicating so I go easy on them, but a lot of them are just rude about it.

Here is where I struggle. We are an RP community - the switch does not let you RP (as far as I know) because you can't type on it, or it's very limited. On the other hand I don't want to exclude players from our server just because they play on the switch. What do you guys think should be done if anything?

Void

Re: Switch players

Post by Void » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:38 am

maxpolishguy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:44 am
Alright, so first of all I don't want to sound rude or elitist. This post is not a rant, I just want to understand a few things about playing on the Switch.

I play a Cordor guard who constantly has to tell new people to put their weapons away. I have noticed a lot of Switch players have a hard time communicating so I go easy on them, but a lot of them are just rude about it.

Here is where I struggle. We are an RP community - the switch does not let you RP (as far as I know) because you can't type on it, or it's very limited. On the other hand I don't want to exclude players from our server just because they play on the switch. What do you guys think should be done if anything?
Just report anyone who misbehaves. Switch or not, they can read and can put the weapons away.

Also guard should probably start applying force to people who misbehave. Law isn't meant to be toothless, if the only thing a guard can do is lecture, then the guards are going to be ignored.

However, this is the matter of settlement politics.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:14 am

maxpolishguy wrote:
We are an RP community - the switch does not let you RP
maxpolishguy wrote:
What do you guys think should be done if anything?
maxpolishguy wrote:
exclude players from our server just because they play on the switch.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:59 am

Maybe this might be a good opportunity to step back and entertain the possibility of giving the guard RP a little more substance than "put that rusty sword away citizen!"

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:35 pm

I'll pipe in. I've been trying Arelith on the switch. It's borderline miserable. I love the setting and the RP and everything about this community. That being said, communication is a major hurdle and takes some time just to out together single sentences. This makes RPing in real time very difficult. During my play time I have adapted by playing a quiet type of character who tends to lurk and avoid interaction. It is limiting.

From someone who is attempting to play on this very rough port, I'm sorry for your experience. I would chalk the rudeness or lack of cooperation up to the individual and not the console exactly. I think that the type of person that is more inclined to not take this seriously may also be more inclined to join in on a console, but that's not based on any real figures.

The console will be a hurdle in their communication, it will make their responses take some time. It will not, however, make them be rude and I think you should go ahead and flex the strong arm of the law on folks who aren't going to cooperate. The actual controls for the port work fine and there is no reason they can't sheath a weapon.

As for expanding the guard RP as suggested, it will be difficult or impossible with a character that either can't respond, can't respond quickly or won't respond. Arelith is one of only two PW available at the moment to console players. There will be plenty that come that have no idea what they are doing. That's their fault for lack of research and lack of respect.
Last edited by TrickBlack on Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:38 pm

The release on console will bring players here, however they may not understand how Ill equipped they are to take part in text based RP, especially if they never played on PC. Unfortunately the system requirements for EE are a lot higher than the original and so my MacBook cannot run it, I was left with trying to scratch my PW itch on console instead. It's not very fun. Regardless of platform of operation I feel anyone joining in here should be prepared to respect the server rules and customs.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Woah. I am just now learning there's people playing this on consoles.
Is that why there's so many silent people running around?

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Can a switch player confirm if they have acces to the in-game 'predermined' chat lines? The 'Look here', 'Hello', 'Attack!' lines from the voice command? I wanted to see this expanded with a number of other useful lines of dialog, and had previously asked Beamdog to do that in advance of the console release.

Aklso is the improved AI 'Follow & Fight' function from the radial menu working? Whereby console player can specify fellow party members to follow and fight alongside? This was intended so as to allow more freedom to use the virtual keyboard.

Finally, are any Switch external keyboards currently working with NWN?

PEST CONTROL

Post by PEST CONTROL » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:38 pm

At this point the square in Cordor is turning into a MMO Hub.

We are talking about 8 to 10 players running around at times causing complete chaos. NPC's chasing them. Finding 9 of the same body stacked in the sewers. Players just running into and around people in the middle of conversations. Typical MMO behavior. We play here to get away from that crap. I don't want to spend my play time bugging the DM's with 12 different reports. Yet I also don't want to keep people away. I want them to be able to play and learn how to RP because it is a lot of fun.

Then the other problem is IC. If the guard brings the hammer down it will be a blood bath. Do we outlaw running? Me being a good PC do I step in to stop a guard from beating on two or three PC who cannot put there weapons away? Yet me the player can't see another alternative?

At first we just ignored it, but the problem is getting worse. To me even subduing people over and over gain isn't going to work. Many don't talk or give you the "Sorry I'm a Newb:)" response. The 24 hour rule doesn't allow to repeatedly beat on people.

Other then having a DM parked in the area for hours on end plucking people out and teaching them how to play, I don't see a solution. Unless maybe having a OOC room where you can go to teach newer players what RP is actually about? Which I have seen work on past servers.

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Yes, we can access the predetermined chat. Though the options are often outrageous. "Thank you" can become a threatening "I'll see YOU later".

I'll check on the follow and fight.

Za-Lord~s Guard

Post by Za-Lord~s Guard » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:01 pm

PEST CONTROL wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:38 pm
Do we outlaw running?
*Brogendenstein banner*
"I don't believe in fairies!" - Harry Dresden, the Dresden Files

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:05 pm

TrickBlack wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:54 pm
Yes, we can access the predetermined chat. Though the options are often outrageous. "Thank you" can become a threatening "I'll see YOU later".

Much appreciated.

I'll look at getting that predetermined chat list expanded too, obviously it will be without sound, but a few more set lines of dialog I think could be a big help.

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:14 pm

Irongron wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:05 pm
TrickBlack wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Much appreciated.

I'll look at getting that predetermined chat list expanded too, obviously it will be without sound, but a few more set lines of dialog I think could be a big help.
That would be an anormous help. Basic in town communication and niceties would be a game changer.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Custom text macros can be your friend!

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:32 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:21 pm
Custom text macros can be your friend!
Hah, I didn't even think of this. That's wonderful. The controls are just clunky enough that finding some options takes work. I think this is doable though.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:39 pm

TrickBlack wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:38 pm
The release on console will bring players here, however they may not understand how Ill equipped they are to take part in text based RP, especially if they never played on PC. Unfortunately the system requirements for EE are a lot higher than the original and so my MacBook cannot run it, I was left with trying to scratch my PW itch on console instead. It's not very fun. Regardless of platform of operation I feel anyone joining in here should be prepared to respect the server rules and customs.
Do you have a really old Macbook or something? EE was playable on my old Macbook Air from 2011 (more so than using Crossover, actually) if I kept all the settings at minimum.
Irongron wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:08 pm
Finally, are any Switch external keyboards currently working with NWN?
A follow up question would be why the publisher doesn't seem to allow USB keyboards to work as the Switch does appear to support them.

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:49 pm

It's a 2010 MacBook. Not even pro. Integrated graphics is garbage and the hurdle currently. Plus the OS, I need 10.6.8 for several other games. I would update if I could actually play though.

The switch does allow a keyboard to type and its seamless. However you cannot control the game with the keyboard which is a problem. Also the full on-screen keyboard still pops up obscuring the entire interface and screen. So you can hit the chat button on your controller, tip tap type away and then send, then pick your controller back up.

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:52 pm

There are also keyboard adapters for the switch joycons that would be adequate. As I see it the main block here is the full timeout needed in game. Can't move, can't see what's happening, can't see replies and ongoing chat from others while you are trying to input yours. So the problem is in-game implementation

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:19 pm

TrickBlack wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:52 pm
There are also keyboard adapters for the switch joycons that would be adequate. As I see it the main block here is the full timeout needed in game. Can't move, can't see what's happening, can't see replies and ongoing chat from others while you are trying to input yours. So the problem is in-game implementation
This might be a good thing to take to the Beamdog forums if so.

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:21 pm

Irongron wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:19 pm
TrickBlack wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:52 pm
This might be a good thing to take to the Beamdog forums if so.
I just did and before I could even register I found exactly this suggestion in the forums. An option to disallow the pop up keyboard and just allow enter on a keyboard to access regular chat field

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 pm

TrickBlack wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:49 pm
It's a 2010 MacBook. Not even pro. Integrated graphics is garbage and the hurdle currently. Plus the OS, I need 10.6.8 for several other games. I would update if I could actually play though.
For what it's worth the game is playable on my old 2011 Air, like I said, and works well on my 2018 Air and both have integrated graphics. I'm sure the core 2 duo processor isn't doing you any favors plus it's probably a slow laptop drive not SSD unless you changed that out. And I don't think you can even run 10.9 or even 64 bit games to do the latest EE version.

But my point is, I wouldn't blame integrated graphics if you're ever on the fence about buying something more recent.

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:39 pm

It's been able to run Diamond no problem at all. I feel like it should run EE but the basic requirements list higher than the GeForce 320M I think. Either way, as you say I see it's moved on to 64 with no support. The graphics card was my limiting factor in NWN 2 for sure. I've always kicked myself for not buying the pro. This thing is still going strong 10 years later so I can't justify replacing it yet.

Void

Post by Void » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 pm

Hazard wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:47 pm
Woah. I am just now learning there's people playing this on consoles.
Is that why there's so many silent people running around?
I've ran into a player who claimed to be playing on xbox. His character could talk, although inventory manipulation apparenlty was very slow.
-------
Irongron wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:08 pm
'predermined' chat lines? The 'Look here', 'Hello', 'Attack!' lines from the voice command?
"Put your weapons away, sir."
"PREPARE! To become ONE. With ETERNITY!"
Another forum ban, here we go again.

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:49 am

Yep. As far as I know Xbox and switch are on about level ground. Ps4 can't access multiplayer last I read.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:28 am

Purely out of curiousity, were you running the Mac version of Diamond or using Crossover/Wine/Etc?