Switch players

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Exordius

Re: Switch players

Post by Exordius » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:32 am

Why not buy a pc assuming you have the money to spare? You don't need to get a 5000 dollar monster most baseline comps now will play the game though you might have to turn down some of the graphics.

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:07 am

I was running mac diamond.

I'd love to buy a new machine, and probably should, but kids and life etc. I have more games than I have time to play. I may grab a mac mini, I see them floating around for cheap.

maxpolishguy

Post by maxpolishguy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:12 pm

Wanna touch upon this topic again because it is continuing and getting worse. Some players refuse to flat out recognize the authority and just tell us to Frek off (most of them on switch). I've seen it happen to other guards. Someone said that maybe we should start considering using the -subdue function on those players. What would be the proper response here? Should we just ignore them?
Any DMs or the community input would be great. I wanna make sure we're doing it right. Thank you

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:56 pm

maxpolishguy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:12 pm
Wanna touch upon this topic again because it is continuing and getting worse. Some players refuse to flat out recognize the authority and just tell us to Frek off (most of them on switch). I've seen it happen to other guards. Someone said that maybe we should start considering using the -subdue function on those players. What would be the proper response here? Should we just ignore them?
Any DMs or the community input would be great. I wanna make sure we're doing it right. Thank you
Follow the PvP rules to the T.

In other words, if I was only a melee-based character and I told them to stop doing something and they blatantly ignored me or told me to buzz off, then I would make use of subdual. Before I did, however, I would make every attempt to give them verbal commands with what I want them to do and explain what will happen if they don't listen.

After that, you're covered by the rules. Let those players deal with their IC consequences with IC solutions, like getting cozy with someone in power that could get you fired or staging protests.

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:50 pm

You know what grinds my gears? The ******'s in the conversations.
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Void

Post by Void » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:19 am

maxpolishguy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:12 pm
"Sheathe your weapon. NOW. You have ten seconds to comply, or this sword will be used on your neck."

Beat them up or kill them. You're the law. Act as the law.
Subdue , lasso + talking to if you're non evil, and fugue + jail if you're non-good. You do have a jail, yes?

You cannot ignore law-breakers due to OOC concern, because doing that will undermine authority of guard, as it will be demonstrated to everybody on the server, that guards are powerless and can do nothing aside from saying few stern words.

So rather than "starting to consider", you should throw everybody who dares to defy laws of the city into the slammer or string them up right in the docks.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Void

Post by Void » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:01 am

A much more interesting question is - what a player that ISN'T part of guard is supposed to do about lawbreakers. A character with weapons out is a threat, and NPC guards do not care. So, now what? Same applies to wild animals on the streets in plain view of NPCs and so on. It kinda isn't clear at which point a character is free to start blowin things up.

maxpolishguy

Post by maxpolishguy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:25 pm

A much more interesting question is - what a player that ISN'T part of guard is supposed to do about lawbreakers. A character with weapons out is a threat, and NPC guards do not care. So, now what? Same applies to wild animals on the streets in plain view of NPCs and so on. It kinda isn't clear at which point a character is free to start blowin things up.
There will be times where no PC guards are around - I don't think that can be avoided. What I can tell you is that Cordor Guard is recruiting heavily and more likely than not, there will be a guard around - maybe not in the immediate area. As far as IC goes, we always tell people to go inform the authorities. Vigilantism is not allowed. Alternatively people can join the guard or the militia of Cordor.

When there are no guards around at all, we suggest writing a report and telling us about it. Write down what happened, when it happened, description of the criminal (and name if you do know it IC - don't include it if you don't know it), and people who witnessed the crime happen to confirm the accusations. We have a team of characters who investigate reports like that and try to hunt down the offenders to give them formal warning, fine, or exile (depending on the severity of the crime). It also makes for fun RP for some of us guards, questioning different PC about the even and doing some detective work.

So those are my suggestions.

Void

Post by Void » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:51 pm

maxpolishguy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:25 pm
There will be times where no PC guards are around - I don't think that can be avoided. What I can tell you is that Cordor Guard is recruiting heavily and more likely than not, there will be a guard around - maybe not in the immediate area. As far as IC goes, we always tell people to go inform the authorities. Vigilantism is not allowed. Alternatively people can join the guard or the militia of Cordor.

When there are no guards around at all, we suggest writing a report and telling us about it. Write down what happened, when it happened, description of the criminal (and name if you do know it IC - don't include it if you don't know it), and people who witnessed the crime happen to confirm the accusations. We have a team of characters who investigate reports like that and try to hunt down the offenders to give them formal warning, fine, or exile (depending on the severity of the crime). It also makes for fun RP for some of us guards, questioning different PC about the even and doing some detective work.

Message Board approach, hmm? Yes, this will be interesting. I'll try it next time.

I do wonder when it is time for my character to start blowing things up when there's a perceived threat and no guards.

Kalimere

Post by Kalimere » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:37 pm

I had this problem with Arelith first switched to EE and started expanding its playerbase when i was a guard. Most players running around with weapons out just outright ignored me when I chased them around telling them to put their weapons away, and even had one that laughed and said "you can't stop me" after beating him to zero HP with a subduel club like four times.
"I'm not grim."
~Andrej Cooper

".....Mostly."
~Also Andrej Cooper

Void

Post by Void » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:40 pm

Kalimere wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:37 pm
I had this problem with Arelith first switched to EE and started expanding its playerbase when i was a guard. Most players running around with weapons out just outright ignored me when I chased them around telling them to put their weapons away, and even had one that laughed and said "you can't stop me" after beating him to zero HP with a subduel club like four times.
You guys need a jail and a way to put people there.

Additionally report repeat rulebreakers to DM team. A ban can stop them.

----

If switch players tend to cause problems, maybe they need a separate hub starting area where they'd be explained properly what the server is about and can't leave until they get it.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:01 pm

This game is not about making sure players follow the laws of a city. This game is about playing a character. What should you (the player) do if you witness a character committing a crime? Discern a way to maximize the roleplay.

If your character would run and seek help? do that. If you're character would intervene? do that. If your character would help out the criminal? do that.

This shouldn't change simple because someone is playing on the switch as opposed to a PC. As these issues develop, it's really in the hands of the developers what to do about switch players.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:24 pm

Putting weapons away is more of a culture thing than a rule. Heck you'll see people walking around with weapons out in Andunor. A completely different faction could feasibly takeover Cordor and reform the guard to change the city ordinance.

New players should make an effort to adapt to the culture of the place they're RPing in. That said I can understand why when their initial 2 minutes of Arelith has a max level PC confront their level 2 PC doing the courier quest that the newbie is not thrilled at what's happening. I'm not suggesting the guard is at fault either, it just seems like something that shouldn't be a surprise that it occurs.

I think there are some options in-between ignoring and attacking as a Guard seeing a clueless newbie:
"Excuse me sir, but you seem a bit new to Cordor. Perhaps you'd like some help learning about the place?" If they accept then start talking about the place while walking them around and halfway through the conversation in a nice manner explain about the weapon policy. You've been helpful and they're likely to reciprocate. If they don't then you can move into Judge Dredd mode.

maxpolishguy

Post by maxpolishguy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:36 pm

Void wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:51 pm
maxpolishguy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Message Board approach, hmm? Yes, this will be interesting. I'll try it next time.

I do wonder when it is time for my character to start blowing things up when there's a perceived threat and no guards.
I would not post it on the communal message board as a lot of people use it to spread propaganda and it is not being taken seriously a lot, but if you hold on to it until you see a guard, the guard will either take it upon themselves to try and find out what happened or post it inside the QH for other members to see to it. I know we have 2 or 3 players that do detective-type work for the guard right now.

This game is not about making sure players follow the laws of a city. This game is about playing a character. What should you (the player) do if you witness a character committing a crime? Discern a way to maximize the roleplay.
It is not that I want everybody to follow laws, I don't. If everyone did it would get really boring to play a guard. That is not what this post is about. What I do have a problem with is if you break the laws, and then refuse to acknowledge the authority and refuse to RP and just tell everyone to piss off. If you act like a lunatic with weapon drawn and start casting spells everywhere, do expect a guard to say something and if the best reply that you got is "STFU" then there is a problem.

Now I have experienced that type of behaviour a lot from Switch players lately, but ofcourse it is not limited to those who play on the Switch.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:56 pm

xanrael wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:24 pm
Putting weapons away is more of a culture thing than a rule. Heck you'll see people walking around with weapons out in Andunor. A completely different faction could feasibly takeover Cordor and reform the guard to change the city ordinance.

New players should make an effort to adapt to the culture of the place they're RPing in. That said I can understand why when their initial 2 minutes of Arelith has a max level PC confront their level 2 PC doing the courier quest that the newbie is not thrilled at what's happening. I'm not suggesting the guard is at fault either, it just seems like something that shouldn't be a surprise that it occurs.

I think there are some options in-between ignoring and attacking as a Guard seeing a clueless newbie:
"Excuse me sir, but you seem a bit new to Cordor. Perhaps you'd like some help learning about the place?" If they accept then start talking about the place while walking them around and halfway through the conversation in a nice manner explain about the weapon policy. You've been helpful and they're likely to reciprocate. If they don't then you can move into Judge Dredd mode.
Yeah exactly. Think about console players who are only coming from MMOs or single player NWN. Arelith's peculiarities and demand to not only stay IC but be aware of things like holding weapons is going to be a culture shock. A lot may realize this isn't what they signed up for and bolt, another lot may see it as an opportunity to troll a community of uptight nerds, but there'll be at least a few who are intrigued and just need a little guidance to acclimate.

Guards might also keep in mind: imagine how it is to join a very established RP community you know nothing about and someone is immediately playing "cop" with you about the IG rules of the settlement you start in. There's a way you can do it that's fun for everyone (sense or ask if they're new and if so offer OOC advice as well as a gentle IG reprimand) and there's a way that'll make then say "f this" which is to come down hard expecting a total noob to know how our culture works, what the IG laws of a city are, what authority you have and that it's in character in that settlement and you're not representing the server itself-- etc etc. They also might not even know if you're trolling them by claiming authority and telling them what to do, and who likes a stranger telling them what to do?

I know most of our players are cool but some seem to have no tolerance for people who don't have the hang of our style of RP yet, you see it a lot especially in complaints about Skal RP.

If the population of console players ramps up maybe they need their own starting area that eases them in a little better instead of sending them to Cordor, which is some of the trickiest and prickliest RP on the server, not to mention generally aloof and unwelcoming to new faces.

Void

Post by Void » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:29 am

maxpolishguy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:36 pm
It is not that I want everybody to follow laws, I don't. If everyone did it would get really boring to play a guard. That is not what this post is about. What I do have a problem with is if you break the laws, and then refuse to acknowledge the authority and refuse to RP and just tell everyone to piss off. If you act like a lunatic with weapon drawn and start casting spells everywhere, do expect a guard to say something and if the best reply that you got is "STFU" then there is a problem.

Now I have experienced that type of behaviour a lot from Switch players lately, but ofcourse it is not limited to those who play on the Switch.
Your job of a guard is to enforce the law.
If the player (as opposed to the character) misbehaves, report them to DM team, and get them banned.

Switch or not.
Wuthering wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:56 pm
Yeah exactly. Think about console players who are only coming from MMOs or single player NWN. Arelith's peculiarities and demand to not only stay IC but be aware of things like holding weapons is going to be a culture shock.
Long time ago when I just started playing, someone explaining me to put the weapons away was part of the experience. It took just a few words.

The cultural shock is understanding that each character you meet is an equivalent of a npc to which you can talk free form. Now that's a big deal and offers unique experience. "No weapons in town" just a minor thing in comparison.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:54 pm

Not sure why you are contradicting me when we are both saying the same thing. Unless you actually think I was defending keeping weapons out which is not the point at all. Of course people should be told to put their weapons away but how you do it may very well determine whether that person sees we're serious about RP and staying in character or thinks we're arrogant pricks hassling the clueless noob.

Be cool and be patient is all I am saying, some people need a little hand holding. That's not something we've had to deal with for many years since most people who found Arelith after the game was no longer available in stores knew what they were looking for. Now there are people with little to no RP experience showing up again.

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Sheath you’re weapons is an in game law... not a server rule. Enforce it in game. Personally it’s one of the dumbest laws I’ve ever seen and my chaotic characters will scoff at this law as often as possible.

Wizard with glowing staff? No problem.

Dragon Disciple with Wings? No problem.

Miner walks into town with his mining pick out....

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Great role play boys.

Void

Post by Void » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:42 pm

a shrouded figure wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 pm
Great role play boys.
Sarcasm doesn't create a helpful atmosphere.

The problem is not people with weapons out, but people who ignore consequences and say "you can't stop me".

A RP server requires agreement with the rules, after all.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:44 pm

a shrouded figure wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 pm
Sheath you’re weapons is an in game law... not a server rule. Enforce it in game. Personally it’s one of the dumbest laws I’ve ever seen and my chaotic characters will scoff at this law as often as possible.

Wizard with glowing staff? No problem.

Dragon Disciple with Wings? No problem.

Miner walks into town with his mining pick out....

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Great role play boys.
actually it goes with the informal peacebond that is all over faerun when you come into a settlement. while we do not see the thousands of common folk in the cities and towns you should realize normal folk would panic when someone walks through the gates brandishing a weapon. common sense should rule this decision, unless of course your toon just likes being tossed into jail or worse
Yes I can sign

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Route console players to an action version.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:31 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:44 pm
actually it goes with the informal peacebond that is all over faerun when you come into a settlement. while we do not see the thousands of common folk in the cities and towns you should realize normal folk would panic when someone walks through the gates brandishing a weapon. common sense should rule this decision, unless of course your toon just likes being tossed into jail or worse
Exactly, my problem with the law isn’t that it exists, it’s the ridiculous hypocrisy to which it’s enforced. Commoners wouldn’t leave their homes if a tiefling or half dragon was roaming the streets. These are perfectly fine, but a mining pick is reason to start throwing ropes over tree limbs.

And I am sorry to see that screen shot... I’ve definitely noticed some issues with switch in regards to communication. Honestly if it takes someone 5 minutes to type to me I usually just walk away... it’s not a fun or immersive interaction.

Void

Post by Void » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:39 pm

a shrouded figure wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:31 pm
Exactly, my problem with the law isn’t that it exists, it’s the ridiculous hypocrisy to which it’s enforced. Commoners wouldn’t leave their homes if a tiefling or half dragon was roaming the streets. These are perfectly fine, but a mining pick is reason to start throwing ropes over tree limbs.

And I am sorry to see that screen shot... I’ve definitely noticed some issues with switch in regards to communication. Honestly if it takes someone 5 minutes to type to me I usually just walk away... it’s not a fun or immersive interaction.
If you want an explanation, then adventurers are not commoners. Adventurers are insane people that lead dangerous lifestyles, get stupidly rich, and die horribly.

Tiefling's horns or tail and dragon disciple's wings are not weapons (no half-dragons on the server, last time I checked). A pick or battle wards, however, are a weapon, and in all honesty, guards are way too lenient with all those people with battle staves walking about....

So there's no hypocricy. For example, in Cordor, I do not recall a law against being a tiefling. In fact, few days ago there was an edict (or whatever it is called) stating that fiendbloods are no longer "unwelcome people" by default. THere is, however, a law against brandishing weapons openly.

Also... do you enjoy shopping when somebody keeps gently poking you in the back with a greatsword?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:45 pm

a shrouded figure wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:31 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Amen. Sheathing weapons is as trivial as closing Bendir's gates. It's the low hanging fruit of conflict roleplay.

Marisakis

Post by Marisakis » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:17 pm

It's not trivial. It's called roleplay, and 'wysiwyg' has been one of the rules on this server.
There are many potential 'triggers' for roleplay. Some are server based, such as the messages about weather, food and water. Others are social based, like asking someone nicely for help and appearing non-threatening. And then there are those appearance based. Necromancer with zombies in tow. Someone wearing obvious holy symbols in certain places. Or someone brandishing a weapon.

Trying to marginalise in game appearances is not your job as a player - as a player it is your job to adhere to the setting of the server, and some of that setting is based on unwritten laws. Like the real life expectancy that common people will appear to be non-threatening to the general populace, in suport of the social status quo. Deviating from this norm indicates a willingness to upset the status quo, and brands one as a troublemaker.