WJLIII3

Re: Switch players

Post by WJLIII3 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:10 pm

Wizard's staves are grandfathered in, by ancient tradition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpmid25B_5E

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:49 am

Can a Switch player confirm something for me please? Plug in a keyboard to one of the ports and try to use it to type in the chatbox. I have seen comments from Beamdog that they do not intend to provide keyboard and mouse support for NWN's controls. Even though such a thing is totally possible, since the Switch does have keyboard and mouse support it's just a matter of the games utilizing it. However, it is still possible that keyboards will work for text entry itself. I can use a keyboard to communicate in Animal Crossing NH.

If keyboards can be used for text entry on the Switch, then I propose that Arelith have a rule or at the very least a very clear and stern suggestion that console players should have keyboards to use for the rp.

Oh the year was 1778...

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:04 pm

Keyboards do work for typing. No problem with that. The issue is that even with a keyboard you have to use the controller to pop up the dialogue box which imposes a full screen virtual keyboard. This remains in place while you type, even with a keyboard. This means you cannot see or control the game. You cannot see other dialogue while typing which includes responses or further queries. So you can type quickly enough with a keyboard but the process puts the game on hold, its very cumbersome.
Last edited by TrickBlack on Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void

Post by Void » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:07 pm

TrickBlack wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:04 pm
Keyboards do work for typing. No problem with that. The issue is that even with a keyboard you have to use the controller to pop up the dialogue box which imposes a full screen virtual keyboard. This remains in place while you type, even with a keyboard. This means you cannot see or control the game. You cannot see other dialogue whole typing which includes responses or further queries. So you can type quickly enough with a keyboard but the process puts the game on hold, its very cumbersome.
And beamdog refuses to fix that?

I mean, if switch supports USB devices, allowing players to use mouse/keyboard would be sane thing to do.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:12 pm

Why is waiting for someone to type on a Switch such a terrible inconvenience to you?

What about slow typists on a keyboard? And what about those who are disabled and cannot type fast? I know for a fact Arelith has at least a handful of these players. Are we going to demand they type faster too?

Rule-breaching and ignoring the setting are both very bad and shouldn't happen. But don't throw all the Switch players under that category simply because they type slower than you.

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:13 pm

There is currently a suggestion on beamdog forums to allow the enter key on the keyboard to move cursor to chat bar and allow typing without the imposition of the virtual keyboard. I don't have high hopes but it shouldn't be that hard of a fix.

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:17 pm

The effect of all this in-game is that the person you are talking to seems not only slow but disengaged. They may miss several things that you type while trying to sort out their own. They will have to stop walking, if you were in motion. They surely can't type while near combat as it would leave them unable to cast or do anything short of auto-attack.

When this is paired with the instant gratification mindset of some console players, it may result in them simply not engaging appropriately and shirking the responsibility of roleplaying.

Void

Post by Void » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:58 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:12 pm
What about slow typists on a keyboard? And what about those who are disabled and cannot type fast? I know for
In a situation when you or someone else cannot type response quickly a good idea would be to write the response in small portions fragments, basically to indicate that they're still writing and did not fall asleep on keyboard. That's because in nwn1 there's no "typing" indicator. This applies to the game in general and is not specific to switch.

Typically the limit of my patience is around few minutes per response. Past that mark I'll star wondering if the player secretly went shopping, will be back in a hour and forgot to log off.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:40 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:12 pm
Why is waiting for someone to type on a Switch such a terrible inconvenience to you?

What about slow typists on a keyboard? And what about those who are disabled and cannot type fast? I know for a fact Arelith has at least a handful of these players. Are we going to demand they type faster too?
There are two important disanalogies here. First, a "handful" of players is a small amount, and by itself not much of an encumbrance on the server. Second, being disabled merits a considerable degree of tolerance and compassion given that it's an undeserved condition. It's far from obvious to me that being a console owner merits the same kind of response, because morally speaking, it doesn't fall into the same category as disability.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:48 pm

How engaging is RP with someone who won't listen to you to put the weapon out? I can't imagine much. When other players tell someone it's their "job" to police this kind of RP, that is very sad to hear. If someone is running around with a weapon, sure, just tell them to put it away and move on. Spending half an hour chasing after this character is a waste of your time. If they are disruptive, then just kill them and move on/report as necessary.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:54 pm

At that point it's simply one sided RP in order to fulfill a feeling of duty. It doesn't sound fun. I'm sorry that the console wave is bringing this issue to what seems to be a wonderful server. I came here after much reading because it seemed like a lot of fun. After running into my hurdles with immersion and chat I chose to put off playing until I can find an alternative rather than be a walking, slowly talking immersion pylon.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:58 pm

If you're not being disruptive, I think you can still play. Lots of PC players go through the game without talking and just grinding EXP hah
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

TrickBlack

Post by TrickBlack » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:25 pm

Yep, I still log a bit of time. Trudging along and standing in dark corners. I've watched a lot of crazy interactions in the streets and taverns. Met a few kind folks that were willing to be patient. I don't feel that I've been disruptive but I've seen a few that have. For me, I came for the satisfaction of RP. Unable to scratch that itch, I will invest more time when I can.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:15 pm

Void wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:07 pm
TrickBlack wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:04 pm
Keyboards do work for typing. No problem with that. The issue is that even with a keyboard you have to use the controller to pop up the dialogue box which imposes a full screen virtual keyboard. This remains in place while you type, even with a keyboard. This means you cannot see or control the game. You cannot see other dialogue whole typing which includes responses or further queries. So you can type quickly enough with a keyboard but the process puts the game on hold, its very cumbersome.
And beamdog refuses to fix that?

I mean, if switch supports USB devices, allowing players to use mouse/keyboard would be sane thing to do.
The funny thing is there are games that do that. Fortnite and Minecraft on the Switch both give players the option to use a mouse and keyboard. The controls are still a bit different but it still comes so much closer to a PC experience on console. Beamdog's own FAQ says "No, the game is tailored for gameplay on console controllers" but that's just such a weak answer.

Oh the year was 1778...

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:37 am

It would be nice if there was a way to tell at a glance (description?) if someone is playing from console, just so that we could be reminded and excuse a bunch of things that might be more difficult for them and cut them some (or a lot) of slack.

I can't imagine playing this game without mouse and keyboard.