Annoying Mindset - Why can't I solo? (Rant)

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Annoying Mindset - Why can't I solo? (Rant)

Post by CookieMonster » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:07 pm

Without aiming to isolate or cause to much offence to any individual I will ask the question. Why is it becoming such a popular expression?

I understand that people invest a lot of time and thought into their Characters, but they are not alone in this and Arelith is not a single player game. Yet a steady stream of negative feedback is being spat out to criticise Updates, Writs and Areas in bad taste.

I have a lot of respect for the team and the time they spend on this server. I do not believe they are not paid to do so. So I am relatively certain that they do not appreciate this idiotic sentiment of "This sux, I can't solo it." or "This sux, it doesn't buff me"

As far as I am aware, Arelith is and has always been balanced with a Party / Group in mind. This thought of mine supported by the fact that Parties / Groups are encouraged with the bonus XP recieved. Obviously their will be bloopers, but the Team are not daft. They see the problems we see and they fix them.

To put the boot on the other foot and suggest something stupid. Why can't these players build stronger Characters, or be better at RPing so people want to party up with them? It's an idiotic notion, just like the idea that the server should be comparable to a single player campaign.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

Straxus
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Annoying Mindset - Why can't I solo? (Rant)

Post by Straxus » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:30 pm

I have no problem with the server itself, my friends who play in the UD, and I who stay to the surface, love it.

I mainly have to go solo because there is either no one around, or I don't get invited to go.

Yesterday morning I was invited, and joined a group, and had a fantastic time, roleplaying, and fighting.
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:38 pm

Soloing appeals to many players who have shorter periods of time to play and can't co-ordinate or find people in a certain range to level with at any given time.

It helps Arelith appeal to a much wider audience.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:42 pm

My issue is not with people who Solo.

I have limited to to play and as a result, find myself soloing from time to time.

My issue is with Players who 'Rage' and moan on the forums because the server does not allow them to solo easily. As well as sulking that Updates do not immediately buff them

Straxus

Post by Straxus » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:48 pm

I am right there with you on time constraints keeping me from grouping up. I try to... and sometimes I like seeing how far I can go alone.
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

Best Rich Face

Post by Best Rich Face » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:03 pm

I die a lot soloing. Can't say it ever bothers me unless it happens to a glitch or crappy world geometry/collision (arelith's favorite cliffs/outdoor tileset I"m talking to you), but if you're referring to the complaint about the Battlefields mages - Man, those things are dumb considering they spawn in a 15-20th level writ, and I regularly see them wipe parties of 3-4 low epics.

And they're still dumb. Level drain tentacle fields? cmooooon.

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Best Rich Face wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:03 pm
I die a lot soloing. Can't say it ever bothers me unless it happens to a glitch or crappy world geometry/collision (arelith's favorite cliffs/outdoor tileset I"m talking to you), but if you're referring to the complaint about the Battlefields mages - Man, those things are dumb considering they spawn in a 15-20th level writ, and I regularly see them wipe parties of 3-4 low epics.

And they're still dumb. Level drain tentacle fields? cmooooon.
Their have been at least 5 complaints on the forums this week that updates and areas do not promote soloing. Or at least make it harder.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:53 pm

I almost exclusively solo content when I play, for pretty much the reasons Sockss outlined. I accept it is going to be harder though, just as I know some areas will effectively be off limits.

I'm going to lock this thread as, much as I can see it was broadly made in support of the team, I don't really want to see a public castigation of anyone. If you feel someone has crossed a line please report their post in the usual fashion.