Pet Peev- Being Prepared

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Pet Peev- Being Prepared

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed May 27, 2020 7:11 pm

Surely this comes down to A) manners and b) IC reaction.

a) - When someone first starts Pen and Paper roleplay, you don't neccesarly expect them to show up with all the dice, pens and rule books avaiable. It's fine to fudge of other people for a time. But after a while, it probably is a good idea that, if possible, you do turn up with at least the basic needed neccesary to play. This is just politeness really. Most people won't turn donw someone who consistently turns up without say, their own dice, but it'll generally be considered a little rude/irksome.
The same is true here. It's not a 'rule', but it's generally polite, especialy later on in the game.

b) - Again - whilst people ICly are generally willing to cut some slack (again dependent on alignment) after a the seventh adventure where your pal the level 20 fighther, Bob McSponge has forgotten to bring ANY healing kits, anyone in the party is entirely within their right to say, 'Dude. Really?' On an ooc level especialy it's nice to give new players/new characters a bit of slack. The gold you spend on them today may repay itself later- But past a certain point, even the kindest of Illmateri paladins is going to start to loose patience.
At that point several options are avaiable
1) ICly pause, before every adventure and go 'Bob. Did you bring your healing kits?' And make sure they do that.
2) Simply refuse to heal Bob, tell him that if he doesn't start pulling his weight, and he dies down there - you're not picking his sorry backsdie up.
3) At the end of the adventure, insist a porition of Bob's 'share' is removed due to the costs of keeping him alive, when he forgot, yet again, to bring healing kits.
4) Simply say 'Sorry Bob, but every time we bring you along, I end up spending more on kits for you than I earn on the trip. You're not coming with us this time.'

Again, I'm definatly in favour of giving people a bit of slack - especially if they're new (Character or player!) wise. But ultimatly the lack of supplies is an IC situation too.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Xarge VI

Re: Pet Peev- Being Prepared

Post by Xarge VI » Fri May 29, 2020 5:20 pm

I don't know what to think about this. I'm notorious for forgetting to stock up. To the point friends/allies have to feed and water my characters. :D