Breaking a Disguise through Roleplay (formerly phrased as Smarts)

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: Breaking a Disguise through Roleplay (formerly phrased as Smarts)

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:37 am

Aellowyn wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:43 am
And...just because someone looks like someone else disguised doesn't mean they are the same person. If you didn't break their disguise with your spot, for all you know you're sharing your scintillating secrets with an imposter :shock: !

That's why I think guessing is fine. If you don't break their disguise, you don't know for sure. For all you know it's someone else.

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:50 am

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:37 am
Aellowyn wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:43 am
And...just because someone looks like someone else disguised doesn't mean they are the same person. If you didn't break their disguise with your spot, for all you know you're sharing your scintillating secrets with an imposter :shock: !

That's why I think guessing is fine. If you don't break their disguise, you don't know for sure. For all you know it's someone else.
For context, this has actually happened for me recently where someone answered a question I addressed to someone else and since they were out of sight I assumed it was just them in disguise til they walked passed. Guessing can and HAS backfired.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:18 pm

Mithreas wrote:"If A is using the same disguise as always, B can recognize the disguise. If you have enough information without the floaty name to conclusively recognize someone, then you have enough information. A good RPer will occasionally mistake A in disguise for someone other than A who wears similar clothing, if applicable.
In all cases, we have logs that will be used as the ultimate arbiter, if people are playing silly buggers (on either side). Good advice to all players is to try and bias yourself AGAINST your own character in cases like these."
That's pretty straightforward if you ask me TBH:

UNLESS someone's using the same disguise all the time, you are expected to either:

:arrow: Successfully make the break disguise check as that's the only legitimate way of being 100% sure.
:arrow: Successfully rule the situation with a bias AGAINST your own character as you're not 100% sure.

Breaking disguise through "smarts" can be iffy as it puts the "overly observant" character's player into a position when they need to justify themselves without appearing to be engaged in some serious mental gymnastics aimed at finding an excuse for blatant metagaming. Bottom line - nobody'll be impressed by this and you're doing yourself a disservice by doing it, legitimate or not.