Help! I'm leveling too fast!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Aardra

Help! I'm leveling too fast!

Post by Aardra » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:21 pm

Hi! Even with modest adventuring and adventure mode turned on, I can't help but feel that my character is growing too fast in power. She's already halfway to epics, and hasn't had time to so much as find a master to teach/train her, or make many associations or friendships at all.

I like the writ system, and understand the need to be accommodating to players of all tastes, playstyles, et cetera; but I was wondering if there is a mechanism, or if a mechanism could be implemented, that would stop XP gain from all sources (including adventure XP) but also not diminish adventure XP over time. I could park her at level up, but that would completely waste the adventure XP she's gotten so far.

Thanks!
"I am wounded by my own incorrigible politeness."

Xerah

Re: Help! I'm leveling too fast!

Post by Xerah » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:23 pm

You won’t use adventure EXP while waiting for a level.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Aardra

Post by Aardra » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:28 pm

Oh really? Thanks. That changes everything.
"I am wounded by my own incorrigible politeness."

Algol

Post by Algol » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:08 am

You can also convert your normal XP to adventure XP via crafting scrolls, potions and wands.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:02 am

You can also simply not take your level ups as soon as you get them so you can level as slow as you wish but otherwise I agree, it's all WAY too fast.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Never thought i would hear people complaining about leveling too fast lol. Can never be too fast since you cant really get involved in anything until you get to at least 15 as the lv 30s will simply rofl-stomp you and call it a day. Its practically impossible lol.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:33 am

Exordius wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:53 pm
Never thought i would hear people complaining about leveling too fast lol. Can never be too fast since you cant really get involved in anything until you get to at least 15 as the lv 30s will simply rofl-stomp you and call it a day. Its practically impossible lol.
This is only true if you define "being involved" as "being in PvP".
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:19 am

Unfortunately getting involved inevitably leads to pvp at some point. 90% of the action on the server is primarily faction based so even if all you do is rp with one or more factions just that alone will make you a target by whichever group hates said faction.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:39 am

I would disagree. Most of my character get heavily involved in things and I have only rarely been in PVP. For example, Katernin was never in PVP (of a serious nature)
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:51 am

Xerah wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:39 am
I would disagree. Most of my character get heavily involved in things and I have only rarely been in PVP. For example, Katernin was never in PVP (of a serious nature)
I'm sorry, I meant to kill your eyeball golem, not you :(

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:15 am

Exordius wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:19 am
Unfortunately getting involved inevitably leads to pvp at some point. 90% of the action on the server is primarily faction based so even if all you do is rp with one or more factions just that alone will make you a target by whichever group hates said faction.
My character was invited to work for Cordor's trade ministry at low to mid levels, which led to observing a whole lot of crazy intrigue that left a lasting mark on him and drove his character motives for a long time. I try to not play alts because every time I log into an alt and start to do writs, things happen to my character that I want to pursue, and I don't want to invest time into characters if there's a chance there could be story crossover. There's a lot of RP potential for low levels, just go out and interact with the world. Eventually things'll happen you'll want to react to.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:15 am
There's a lot of RP potential for low levels, just go out and interact with the world. Eventually things'll happen you'll want to react to.
This is my experience as well. I find that characters I level with too quickly tend to feel... I dunno, hollow and lost?

Ultimately, the answer is to level as quickly or as slowly as you want. One of the central design philosophies of Arelith, after all, is that it allows a wide variety of playstyles!
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain