Mark of Destiny player group

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ithildurnew2

Mark of Destiny player group

Post by Ithildurnew2 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:59 am

Is there/has there been such a thing? i.e. players who prefer a more hardcore style, deliberate and careful, tactical approach to dungeons, RPing death as serious and hard hitting, etc., grouping up to play together with others who prefer a similar style?

If so, how can I find them?

If not, why not?

How many MoD style players are around? Let's see your hands.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Mark of Destiny player group

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:07 pm

I don't think many people like to own up to being MoD, for fear (often unfounded but not always) of people picking them out - especialy if they're well known and deliberatly trying to kill them perminently.
(For the record, if I do discvoer players actually trying to do this, I will shove the ban hammer so far down their throats they'll be eating their own teeth)
To find people of a similar style to you own, I just suggest rping with a wide vareity of people, and watching how they rp death and such. That should give you an indication! As with many play styles, it's just dipping your feet in the water and seeing what happens!
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Ithildurnew2

Post by Ithildurnew2 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:16 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:07 pm
I don't think many people like to own up to being MoD, for fear (often unfounded but not always) of people picking them out - especialy if they're well known and deliberatly trying to kill them perminently.
(For the record, if I do discvoer players actually trying to do this, I will shove the ban hammer so far down their throats they'll be eating their own teeth)
To find people of a similar style to you own, I just suggest rping with a wide vareity of people, and watching how they rp death and such. That should give you an indication! As with many play styles, it's just dipping your feet in the water and seeing what happens!
Thanks for the suggestions!

A little (not a lot) surprised that people might actually try and do that - that's the worst sort of metagaming and a sin on par with pushing old ladies into traffic. :evil:

I guess I've outted myself - yes, I would like a MoD at some point. I may be being a little idealistic here but I'm somewhat optimistic that most people I'll interact with won't pull such a stunt, and if they do DMs will find a way to address the situation.

Or even better perhaps... In Character consequences: PC's of like minded players get together and find the culprit... and make such an example out of him that no one will ever try this again (after all there's far, far worse things one can do to a deserving PC than kill them)

Invokes a summoning ritual:

Come forth, MoD brethren, we will protect one another.
Those who know the severity of death yet do not fear it,
know also the severity of consequences,
and how to wield it, wear it, like weapon and armor
You need not make your names known here
If you fear becoming a target
Find me in game, in character.

Valar morghulis

*disappears into the darkness*

MJmalevolent

Post by MJmalevolent » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:00 pm

I've never done MoD because I'm a coward, and I never pay attention to my build. But perhaps I should spread my wings some day, as it were
MJmalevolent: Player of Cel Coamenel and Wren Redbolt.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:05 pm

Personally I've never been fond of MoD as it lends itself to risk averse adventuring, so while the prospect of 'real death' sounds exciting, the result can often be less exciting gameplay.

That, of course, coupled with the fact that players who choose it can often come to regret the choice, hence my asking it was removed as an option during the start-dialog.

Rogaku

Post by Rogaku » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:25 pm

Having played a character with it, I don't mind:

* I know full well what the risks of it entail, and the rewards. To accept it is my own call.

* The character i played on was one who also had good valid reasons to be extra mindful with his activity, but could still rationally end up in risky situations
Major Characters:
Lacroix Sudentan (Deceased) , Rory Tate (Retired), Harcourt Fentyon: (Deceased) , Rachielle Du Vernais (Deceased) . Aloysious Valoheim (Retired), Troius Meridio (Deceased), Earnhardt Creid (Deceased)

Ithildurnew2

Post by Ithildurnew2 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:53 am

Irongron wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:05 pm
Personally I've never been fond of MoD as it lends itself to risk averse adventuring, so while the prospect of 'real death' sounds exciting, the result can often be less exciting gameplay.

That, of course, coupled with the fact that players who choose it can often come to regret the choice, hence my asking it was removed as an option during the start-dialog.
Some people can choose to be risk adverse certainly and that's up to them. *shrug*

My interest is not to eliminate risks, but have risks be more meaningful and require a bit more thought, both philosophically and tactically. Risks without real significant cost/consequences imho are superficial and hollow, and eventually pretty dull. I fully understand most here prefer a different approach, which is fine - it's great that there's another option... though I found out today that an undocumented rule prevents MoD as an option after a certain point. :|

Slapstick

Post by Slapstick » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:34 am

I suddenly wish it was possible to chose to play a character with limited lives as a -ECL feature. Like humble, except after 10 deaths you die permanently. Would make for an interesting character, quite eager adventurer early days, and progressing slowly towards extreme anxiety for risk at high level.

"No, I most certainly would NOT want to come with you to fight that dragon. Throw your life away if you wish, I might be the most powerful knight in the realm but I didn't get this far by being as ridiculously stupid as you are!"

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:43 am

You could always just home-rule to yourself and tally up all your deaths if you're only really after the "Death being important" aspect, it'll be a little rougher without MoD boost but it keeps the feel.

Once you hit 10 deaths you del_character in the fugue, which I think would still make you eligible for the reward if you meet the pre-requisites? (Open to corrections?)
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:39 am

My main has a mark.
Not sure if i agree with the risk free impression thats given off as my wizard stands at the front spamming spells.
Also ive never let it decide my IC actions just means death is meaningful also the characters story is more organic you don't know when it's going to be over and lends impetus to your actions. So when my character goes and fights the underdark attacking the surface or some "epic" dungeon it's a risk and could led to the ending of the characters story.
That has never stopped me from doing it as heroes and villains should have a shelf life when they don't they just get boring to play against.

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:05 pm

I used to slap a MoD on all my characters untill they made it "by request only".

Best to have one on is when you play a Banite.
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:20 am

I will probably, only consider MoD once i'm certain on my character path.
As of now, my character is still a half-a** RPer.