Assassin Victim enjoyment

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Sp3 Hybridized

Assassin Victim enjoyment

Post by Sp3 Hybridized » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:24 pm

I would like to improve upon my assassin concept and garner new ideas that are more enjoyable to others in their role play. I’m hoping to see what the community would say or if a few ideas could be provided to make the assassin/victim role play more fun for the victims perspective.

Also If you ever been assassinated and would like to share the story and what could be done better to make the role play more enjoyable for the victim I would like to hear it.

Dr. B

Re: Assassin Victim enjoyment

Post by Dr. B » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:23 pm

It's not necessarily your fault if the player of the victim doesn't enjoy it.

Sp3 Hybridized

Post by Sp3 Hybridized » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:39 pm

Although this is partly true, I am still looking for a little insight on the matter as things can definitely be done from the assassins side to make the role play more likely to be enjoyable for the victim. Just hoping to get some community tips and help.

This was also an area where I was told I fell short in during the application process. am looking to use this as an opportunity to improve my own perspective and role play should my application be accepted in the future.

SkipiusEsq
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by SkipiusEsq » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:03 am

One of my character's was assassinated and it sparked some fun RP. The assassin stalked me in the hub and actually popped out of stealth when I was about to use the enchanting basin. The assassin used my name, told me that it was nothing personal, just business and that I understand. I actually didn't die in the first round and got to fight back a bit, but still got killed. There was not much interaction, but I did enjoy it. My character started to get paranoid as a result and that sparked some more RP.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:09 am

If you can disguise well it'd be fun to be bumped into and have an interesting conversation, that eventually got darker and left me realizing or wondering that you were actually here to kill me. The shift from friendly, newly met friend/stranger to "oh crap this person knows who I am... and has been stalking me" can leave a sense of dread. You could drop some personal information you learned spying on me that I didn't share in convo to creep me out, things like that. I dunno, I personally think that'd be suspenseful. I like Tarantino movies because the way his dialogue builds tension that you can just feel about to explode into violence, then sometimes it doesn't and you sigh in relief. You could even walk away saying something ominous, leaving me standing there in horror/fear, then come back to kill me later.

The problem you're going to have is that this is a two sided coin. There are a lot of players that will give you an opportunity to make their experience better. And yes, I said "that will give you an opportunity to make their experience better." As has been stated, the system could probably use some tweaks. Some will not and will force you to be utterly pragmatic to even have a small chance at a kill, let alone engage in any rp around it. Otherwise you will exponentially increase your risk of dying to someone that is just "following the rules" by the letter and potentially blowing your cover as an assassin etc.The below are not uncommon afaik.

-Teleportation/haste/invis & run immediately without rp when disguised PC approaches
-Hiding in PC/faction housing 99% of the time or remaining logged off until contract is removed
-Attacking right away once you've given them any indication you're an assassin, to get the edge in combat.

IF assassins are going to be expected to limit their "pragmatic ruthlessness" and be "kill focused" to create a good experience for the victim, the victim needs to participate in turn. Some of these do make sense IC, but make it very hard for the Assassin to be "generous" from a rp perspective. Add to the fact that most ppl know they have a contract on them and are often warded to the max when in public, often with friends.

I applaud your question, desire and approach to the whole thing. I don't mean to be cynical, I think with this attitude you will create great experiences and have many as an assassin, but just something to keep in mind. :D

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:44 am

If I ever get assassinated, I really hope it's a situation where a character with questionable skills makes some kind of friendly mercenary connection with my character, and then one day when I'm adventuring with them, I go to rest, and wake up in the fugue.

Not only will the approach entail a depth of rp lacking in the click and you're dead department, it will allow for a good reason for my character to not know what the hell happened if rp'd appropriately, which I'd want to do for any assassin that put in that kind of time.

Bonus points if they let me pay them to protect me from other contract hunters first, and still fulfill it along the way.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

sarithia

Post by sarithia » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:05 am

Honestly? The fact you're asking this is just enjoyable in itself. Whatever you come up with I imagine will be a fun experience just through merit of that alone. As for assassinations, the most fun I've had is the chase aspect when assassins have come after my character. That cat and mouse thing is amazing.
There is a lot of dissatisfaction it seems with the assassins guild mechanics in itself, but another thing I suggest is maybe branch out beyond that if you too grow similar. Some people like it, some people don't. There's enough ways to create RP beyond that of the assassins guild.

Greivern Elisbrinn [Active]
Yaen Oakenshade [We'll see]
Anakhsun Emeratu [Shelved]
Jihael [Dead]
Nhil [Inactive]

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:36 am

Personal take, I'd be stoked for any assassination beyond the Inigo Montoya of "I'm here to kill you".

Buying someone a poisoned ale, somehow stealing their portal lens, all that good stuff.
Course it does run the risk someone just declares "I'M OUT" and leaves because they get wise but then it's down to doing some classy roleplay.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:25 pm

As much as we all claim to be great sports on the forums PVP brings out a lot of angst and there will always be a lot of players who won't be happy they were assassinated and raise a fuss even if you went out of your way to make it what you perceive as "fun" for them.

So I wouldn't worry so much about making it "fun" for the victim as much as making it feel fair and earned and done with respect between players. They may still complain but that's the nature of online games and at least you can know you put in the effort on your end.

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 pm

With Subdual being an option, I think there is scope for "Assassins" to be "Enforcers" -- paid to give a non-lethal beating for IC ends. Though perhaps that is more the realm of brutish Rogues...

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:16 am

Without killing the target, they cannot collect the bounty.

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:29 pm

I'm one of those people that always likes to give a target an out.

Honestly, I feel you should go into an assassination attempt expecting to be defeated, and give the target every opportunity to. Have more than one encounter with them, before you go to the knives. Stalking, eyes in a crowd, ominous messages; failed poison attempts!

Your role, storywise, as an assassin - Is only very rarely going to be to actually kill people. Mostly, you're there to make a target feel threatened. You're a looming cloud of narrative threat. Don't blow your plotline all at once going all-in for murder, and plan to lose.

Aleilsum Ellrum
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Aleilsum Ellrum » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:03 pm

Drowble Oh Seven wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:29 pm
I'm one of those people that always likes to give a target an out.

Honestly, I feel you should go into an assassination attempt expecting to be defeated, and give the target every opportunity to. Have more than one encounter with them, before you go to the knives. Stalking, eyes in a crowd, ominous messages; failed poison attempts!

Your role, storywise, as an assassin - Is only very rarely going to be to actually kill people. Mostly, you're there to make a target feel threatened. You're a looming cloud of narrative threat. Don't blow your plotline all at once going all-in for murder, and plan to lose.
I don't much like PvP (which assassination is, by definition) at all, mainly due to some really crappy pvp that's been 0.5% rp, secondarily due to slow reflexes and sometimes wanting just to relax after a long day; pvp gets your adrenaline going and that's fine at times, but other times it's a real turnoff. Mainly it's been that the pvp I've encountered has been mostly aggression with 0% interest in making it fun for everyone.

Having said that, there was a bandit recently in the Bramble Woods who really made it fun; allowed my char several tries to get out of it (unsuccessfully), while threatening them and then indulged in a bit of banter. After some bloody awful pvp on the server, Spider actually restored a little bit of faith in the role of PvP. Hope to meet him again even. PvP like that -adds- to enjoyment, it doesn't make it instantly evaporate. He's the sort of PvPér who adds a real sense of danger in the world, but also a real sense of fun.

I'd say that to enjoy assassination RP I'd have to have:
1) Justification. I'd have had to reasonably earned a price on my head; either living in an environment where life is cheap and pride is high and I insulted someone, or be really high profile standing against evil (or even CG) organisations. If you piss people off like that, gotta expect assassins.
2) probably to be given warnings with subtle indications, as other posters have suggested.
3) a true sense that someone wants to tell a story, not just beat someone else down.
4) actually, a sense that if you /tell oocly, the assassin would be good tempered and with a bit of humour, not all epeen.
5) if it meant the final death of my char, it would need a bit of gravitas.