Please: No More Prot v Elements

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Aardra

Please: No More Prot v Elements

Post by Aardra » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:39 am

This is a public service request that will likely fall on deaf ears, but please stop casting Prot v. Elements on everything: shops, charity barrels, signs, whatever. It contributes to crashes for a number of players. I'm crashing 100% of the time whenever someone has Prot v. Elements on the shop in the Outskirts. It's one of the more intensive VFXs in the game, especially in crash-prone areas like outside the Nomad. Thanks.
"I am wounded by my own incorrigible politeness."

Maladus

Re: Please: No More Prot v Elements

Post by Maladus » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:36 am

But how else will people see the shop? Other than pressing Tab which highlights everything you can interact with. But seriously, I support this and I don't crash all the time.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:57 am

I would 100% support that VFX being disabled for objects just as it was for players.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:13 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:57 am
I would 100% support that VFX being disabled for objects just as it was for players.
100% This. I usually load up on a lesser dispel wand just to clear out the ones I go past as a public service.

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:36 pm

If someone is caught being extremely excessive about this, and you know/see who's casting the spell do ping the DM Team.
One or two in a given area can be fine, but some people go pretty far with these vfx.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:58 pm

For disclosure, as an all-out merchant character I do often use this on a single sign within an area. I have never seen anything wrong with that, as it's just a merchant drawing attention to his business, which makes a lot of sense in-character to me. That said, I can sympathise with 'going overboard' (as with anything), but I don't see an issue with modest, targeted usage.

If it is indeed an issue with the visual, does not having the effect on players also result in crashes? And if so, should we ask players to just stop using any visual-heavy buffs when adventuring as it can cause crashes for some? (ie if it's an underlying vfx issue, let's fix that instead of blaming a specific use case)

On shops, the main issue is that for temporary shops there is no other good way to show it is open given that the label of the previous shop persists even after it is closed. If it could automatically default to 'Closed' when empty or an hour has passed, then that would help.

Anyhow, what I'm taking from DM Rex's statement above is that having it on a single sign or shop is okay, but going beyond that is excessive? That seems reasonable to me.

Maybe another, less visually intense, vfx could be suggested for this purpose?

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:07 pm

I've always thought it would be cool if you could assign a color to the light spell you cast- when you add a light property to an item, you are given color options.

A light spell isn't as flashy as protection from elements, but if you could make it red, green, yellow, or whatever other options you had in the toolset (maybe a light -stream option for colors?) the you could put a visual enhancement on signs and objects that doesn't require quite so many particle effects.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Every time I've been playing for a while and I walk by the front of the Nomad I crash. I think that is an issue with the area design or the game itself and doesn't have anything to do with the VFX because I even crash when that stall is empty and doesn't have wards on it.
“The punishing of wits enhances their authority.”
Francis Bacon

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:05 pm

NPC Logger Number 2 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:24 pm
Every time I've been playing for a while and I walk by the front of the Nomad I crash. I think that is an issue with the area design or the game itself and doesn't have anything to do with the VFX because I even crash when that stall is empty and doesn't have wards on it.
I've noticed this frequently as well. Specifically just when you are walking past the town crier headed towards the city gates I have a tendancy to crash right there. It has been noticably less frequent however It was a common spot for a very peculiar frequency of crashes.

TheRoyalMagus

Post by TheRoyalMagus » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:07 pm

I vote for removing a lot of those vfx spell effects. Keep only the ones that make absolute sense, like Stoneskin and Flesh to Stone.

Want to know what spells are actually affecting someone? Sounds like a good ole Spot and/or Spellcraft check should be needed when investigating them.

Because let me tell you, when big ole' coliseum matches go down and twenty to forty people show up to watch, many of them having even simple effects like Ultravision, it really makes things drag.

Aardra

Post by Aardra » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:07 pm
I've always thought it would be cool if you could assign a color to the light spell you cast- when you add a light property to an item, you are given color options.

A light spell isn't as flashy as protection from elements, but if you could make it red, green, yellow, or whatever other options you had in the toolset (maybe a light -stream option for colors?) the you could put a visual enhancement on signs and objects that doesn't require quite so many particle effects.
I actually wanted to post this in suggestions before it was locked. A simple command like "-light blue" or "-light white" would be so greatly appreciated.
Drogo Gyslain wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:05 pm
I've noticed this frequently as well. Specifically just when you are walking past the town crier headed towards the city gates I have a tendancy to crash right there. It has been noticably less frequent however It was a common spot for a very peculiar frequency of crashes.
I do sometimes crash in front of the Nomad even when there are no VFX present, but it doesn't happen with predictable regularity unless there is a PvE ward up somewhere nearby.
Quidix wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:58 pm
On shops, the main issue is that for temporary shops there is no other good way to show it is open given that the label of the previous shop persists even after it is closed. If it could automatically default to 'Closed' when empty or an hour has passed, then that would help.
The temporary shops *really* shouldn't be left unattended. They are there specifically to be roleplayed for a short length of time. There's no need for intrusive VFX if your character is standing there inviting people over to gander at their wares.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:52 pm

Quidix wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:58 pm
For disclosure, as an all-out merchant character I do often use this on a single sign within an area. I have never seen anything wrong with that, as it's just a merchant drawing attention to his business, which makes a lot of sense in-character to me. That said, I can sympathise with 'going overboard' (as with anything), but I don't see an issue with modest, targeted usage.
The issue is usually that 5 different merchants have the same idea and all put up their own independent visual buffs, almost always in crowded areas that already have a lot of fixtures and player traffic which only makes the lag situation worse.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:49 pm

If a rule is instated for no visuals on fixtures, or that the possibility to do it is simply removed, I'm okay with that. I don't feel that strongly - I'm simply trying to explain the perspective of a merchant and why these things can be a natural part of in-character business. It does make a difference to business, even if one is standing in the stall and RP'ing already.

Does the lighthouses that is buffed players not cause the same issues though, in a much worse way? (with more visuals, and often more players). Ie it's a problem with visuals, really.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:23 pm

Quidix wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:49 pm
Does the lighthouses that is buffed players not cause the same issues though, in a much worse way? (with more visuals, and often more players). Ie it's a problem with visuals, really.
I mean it absolutely is, and plays a large part in why I avoid events like the plague. That said, the removal of elemental protection effects from players has certainly helped.

Honestly, for me? I just find using spell vfx as a form of advertising mildly annoying.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:57 am

Castle Exterior has always caused issues that lead to crashing, some computers more then others. Its also light years ahead of any other map in the base toolset as far as how it looks, so that's the trade off.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Quidix wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:49 pm
If a rule is instated for no visuals on fixtures, or that the possibility to do it is simply removed, I'm okay with that. I don't feel that strongly - I'm simply trying to explain the perspective of a merchant and why these things can be a natural part of in-character business. It does make a difference to business, even if one is standing in the stall and RP'ing already.

Most people are ok with it, don't worry about it. I always do it if I've got an active stall as well. What I'd recommend is making a sign board to place outside your shop, and casting it on the fixture instead of the stall itself. That way, when you close up, you can pick the fixture up and the effect is gone. Sometimes resting doesn't clear it from the stall if you cast it on the stall directly.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:52 pm

I always look at these VFX as a statement of "I, the owner of this shop, am online, or was online recently and I'm generally around to do stuff". Needless to say, this is ooc info my character doesnt know, but it can help orchestrate RP and trade. If people are actually crashing because of this then sure, it's gotta go.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:40 pm

What im wondering is if people are crashing because of this whats wrong with there system, it has never made my computer crash or given much of a slow down to frame rates.
High numbers of players in one place does create slow downs and i suppose if they all had the effect then sure, but im not on a high end machine and i have zero issues with the particle effects from this game.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:19 am

The CTD outside the Nomad isn't VFX related.

Black Sword

Post by Black Sword » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:44 pm

This was a huge issue on NWN 2 PW's. The crashing seemed to be ten times more frequent, and most of the time due to overlapping buffs and spells from PC's. Also, sometimes rookie world developers would put fixtures to a greater number than allowed for one particular static object - such as a chair, table, or cabinet. Not sure why, perhaps they were hoping to displace the entire server. Hopefully NWN: EE DM's and Devs do not do this.
FIVΣ FΛᄃΣƧ ӨF DΛЯKПΣƧƧ ニ淫桜ほ

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:59 pm

The problem is.. it does work. You're more likely to notice a sign if it's lit up with effects. If you want to advertise an event or temporary shop I am sure it brings more traffic.

We all hate Masterclass and Grammarly ads before our Youtube videos but.. they work too. Advertising is extremely annoying but also effective.

So I wouldn't expect players to stop doing it.. If this changes it has to be mechanical.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:26 pm

You don't use an adblocker on YouTube? Stop the thread, I've found a replicant.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Aardra

Post by Aardra » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:51 pm

ReverentBlade wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:19 am
The CTD outside the Nomad isn't VFX related.
No, it's not. The VFX do contribute to it, however, in my experience.

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:40 am

I will simply repeat what was stated before. Do not do this to excess, if you notice a player enchanting everything on Toril's green earth, let the DM Team know.

Thank you.