Do you have a Long Running character? If so Why?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Seven Sons of Sin

Re: Do you have a Long Running character? If so Why?

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:18 pm

The fixation on history/legacy/tradition can teeter very close onto the edge of "never letting go." Your written works might last a few in-game years. You're lucky if you go past a decade or two.

Beyond that? That's just the roll of the dice.

There's a fine line between an old character emerging and saying, "hrmhrmhrm let me give you some advice, wee lad, so I can help foster your passion, because you see, back in my day, oh what was it now?, anyways, I was helping you get to Guldorand? oh! that reminds me, back in my day-"

and, "hrm hrm hrm BACK IN MY DAY, this was ACTUALLY what happened, and what you're saying is WRONG."

Old characters can't ever venture into the latter, because that stuff sticks forever.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:57 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:18 pm
Your written works might last a few in-game years. You're lucky if you go past a decade or two.
That feel when someone references a book you wrote ten RL years ago is pretty great, tho.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Terenfel » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:33 am

without having to read everything written before me i like to answer the question of the initial question :)

i play Alrius Waynolt, been playing him for about 2 years now i would think, and plan on continuing to play him until he dies of old age or some appropriate ingame event that calls for a permanent death. he is the must "realistic" character i ever had the chance to play, with having such a big family that are all played by like-minded people, (who also follow the Arelith time progression) having parents that are going older, having sisters and brothers that grow, get married and have children of their own, its the must immersive experience i had of Arelith so far, and i absolutely enjoy it.

the only sad part of playing a "long Runner" is many of the friends you make along the way are just suddenly gone. as they are on to their next character.

OleBlighty
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by OleBlighty » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:06 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
The fixation on history/legacy/tradition can teeter very close onto the edge of "never letting go." Your written works might last a few in-game years. You're lucky if you go past a decade or two.

Every time someone asks my current character if they've read a certain book written by an old PC of mine, I grin.

I think that given the timespan of Arelith (165 years?) it's not at all odd to find people discussing the histories, legacies, and traditions of certain groups, cultures, and factions. Particularly if they are the longer-lived races, for whom 165 years may be a drop in the bucket.
"Moradin's will! I ask ye, wish not one Dwarf more!
By Clangeddin, I am nae covetous for gold,
Nor care I for comely lasses!
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin tae covet honour,
I'm th' most offendin' soul alive!"

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:43 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:57 pm
Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Your written works might last a few in-game years. You're lucky if you go past a decade or two.
That feel when someone references a book you wrote ten RL years ago is pretty great, tho.
OleBlighty wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:06 am
Seven Sons of Sin wrote:

Every time someone asks my current character if they've read a certain book written by an old PC of mine, I grin.

I think that given the timespan of Arelith (165 years?) it's not at all odd to find people discussing the histories, legacies, and traditions of certain groups, cultures, and factions. Particularly if they are the longer-lived races, for whom 165 years may be a drop in the bucket.
Yeah, for sure. I do too. But it's just a roll of the dice. It's certainly a nice thing to have.

But a lot of the time the obsession of in-game knowledge stems from a vanity project that doesn't make sense in the confines of the character, but is rather a questionable OOC attempt to create a "legacy."

You just have to be careful.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

SigurdTheMighty

Post by SigurdTheMighty » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:06 pm

I still have Tera'thiel Eldafire, my favored soul (Back when it was a bard thing) He's about 5 years now. I suppose I keep him because with him I was able to witness a lot of the server's history. He was my second character after my ill-fated paladin. (When is there ever not an ill-fated paladin.) I was asked to make a family member for Crag back in the day, and I was at a loss for inspiration, so I thought "Why the heck not"

I enjoy the fact that he lets me experience the game in a sort of steriotypical elven way, the long lasting, the memories and to be able to teach people a bit about the history of what's happened over the span of time in the game. I've had spans of inactivity and times when I've run around as alternates, but I've always kept Tera'thiel as my "main". I guess I enjoy just rping as him.

He's not my most "successful" character, I never reached max level with him, never became rich, never did the end game things. But I still think he's my most valued character. I saw the guard grow over years as an amazing faction, I saw the end of the temple of the Triad, I saw the effects of the battle of Wharftown, I saw the arrival of King Edward, I enjoy having a character that has seen all of it.

I'm generally the worst when it comes to long term characters, most of mine don't last past 15 because I enjoy the risk of lower level adventure, but Tera will always hold a special place. There are some amazing long term characters that have shaped the server and been amazing influences that made the game plot what they are (Looking at you Vance!). Tera was never that, but I enjoy having a character that remembers the stories and is able to share with people.

Fallout

Post by Fallout » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:11 am

SigurdTheMighty wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:06 pm
but I enjoy having a character that remembers the stories and is able to share with people.
this...

Nymann

Post by Nymann » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:21 am

I think it´s also about investment and commitment...

My first real PC was Veigal Finnigan, who I still to this day play, from when I started on Arelith.
I have a goal and created him for a purpose, and probably won´t roll him before that goal as been resolved somehow. I spent so much time on him and explored almost entire Arelith on him, majority of the people I know Arelith, I met on him.
I ended up getting something I never thought would be done, a good sense of True Neutrality, with all factions. Which for me is unique and very interesting way to RP, instead of being somewhat "bound" to one particular faction for most of the time.

My second one is Gotriik who I´ve had for over a year now. And Ohh boy ohh boy what can I say about him, he holds a lot of memories and unique moments. That has affected me both OOC and a lot IC, made me realize several errors of how I am as a personal OOC and how to act around other people be it IC or OOC, without bringing my OOC feelings into the game.
Not only is the basic idea of him from my most favorite character of all time, in any game, world or universe. Which I felt was somewhat interesting to RP, in a settlement which is unique and warm welcoming. Bringing something new for me personal to the faction I am part of, which is my favorite faction.

Every time I try a new PC I always stop at lvl 20-30 somewhere because, every time I am not on those characters I feel like I am not part of something. Which I am, but the feeling is hard to shrug off, so I always return to the Characters which I´ve had most fun with. Additionally I feel a settlement like Brogendenstein works far better with having long standing characters, to build relation and work towards. Rather than having a new Thane, officials and so on. Swapped in and out every 6 month. Not very dwarven thing, unlike Human.