Do you have a Long Running character? If so Why?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Do you have a Long Running character? If so Why?

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Hello. This came up in another thread, and I think it's an interesting question to explore...

Do you have a long running character? (And lets say, for this defintion, 'long running' is a character that has been continuously, or near continuously, played for more than One Real Life Year)

If so - what is it that makes you want to keep playing them, and not try something new?

(Please note 'Uh , I dunno, I just like playing them!' is a perfectly acceptable answer!)
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Xerah

Re: Do you have a Long Running character? If so Why?

Post by Xerah » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:26 pm

I don't currently have one, but I did; my first one. I'd consider myself a reformed anti-roller.

It was a pretty forgien concept that first threw me for a loop when I encountered how casually people were with their characters on the old PW ALFA (various linked FR regions, something like 10-20 servers). When I came to Arelith in 2017, I still didn't see why you should be rolling characters (and the actual character was loosely played since ~2011). I could never understand it. A big part of the reason was I felt the leveling process was pretty unfun enough for me to not do it again, plus I quite liked my character and could always play alts. Plus, I was one of the leaders of (maybe) the largest faction at the time.

In the end (about 1.5 years?), I decided after numerous IC character issues, that it was time to move on and start something new. This was going to allow me to meet new people, new areas, new characters (to the underdark!). It seemed like such a waste to have such are large PW and only focus around one area/players/characters. It was also useful to be able to watch people be able to create new and engaging characters in a short amount of time that felt very relevant for their entire arch. This seemed like the best way to enjoy the server and keep things fresh not for just myself but also others. I knew that if I ended up in leadership positions again, after a few months I would want to turn them over (as I did in the old Radiant Heart and with Cordor Leadership).

The biggest help for this was the writ system which made leveling less circling grinding in the brambles/orklands and more visiting all the dungeons in the server which was more fun/engaging and removed that barrier to wanting to roll.

I strongly believe that new and fresh characters are the lifeblood of a successful roleplaying environment.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:32 pm

I have one. Ilphaeryl Xun'viir (Circa late 2016).

There always seems to be something to do in Andunor. The nature of the place is ever changing and fluid. I also like to invest in the stories of other characters, even if it only ends up being a small investment it's usually worth it. Even though she's long running, the character doesn't seem stale due to this.

I've had other PCs, and those other ones haven't lasted nearly as long. I've tried new concepts as well, but I tend to lose interest once their stories burn out. I much prefer the slow burn of RP that can take months to reach a conclusion in a chapter of a PC's life.
Last edited by LichBait on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

NMan7496
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by NMan7496 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:33 pm

I have had my current main (Simone Beregnor) for almost a year now. Despite starting as an alt, she's quickly become my favorite character to play, and a lot of that it is that I allowed a lot of myself to flow into the character, and playing as her even made me come to realize things about myself. This leaves me with a really strong attachment to this character.

Add in on top of that, I like to stay involved in the politics of the surface, whether it's settlement politics or just factional politics. This allows me to stay engaged and keep meet a continuously fresh cast of people while still staying involved with old friends.

This is not to say I don't have alts and experience new areas, players, and characters, but I play this character most of the time, and I really love playing as her.
Characters:
- Eleanor Allias, Paladin of Selûne

Former:
- Mather Allias, Elrith Ferein, Simone Beregnor-Springscar, Thalia Loreas

CorsicanDoge

Post by CorsicanDoge » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:59 pm

I'm a chopped noob but what Lichbait typed seems to pan out. Ilphaeryl hardly seems stale and still gets involved on the recent goings-on while being a prolific and easily accessible/helpful faction leader. In a way, it'd be kind of sad if she did roll right now because it'd be her civic duty to play a new character to keep things fresh and I imagine the other people in House Xun'viir would echo that sentiment.

As long as the player still has fun there's definitely no question to her relevancy still.

jmm2222

Post by jmm2222 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:08 pm

I've had Kent since some time in 2017! Kent started back at 18 years old and is now slowly coming up on his 50th birthday sometime in a few months.

I've found that I really enjoy playing him because of how much he has changed, how much other characters have affected him, and now how he can affect other characters by imparting knowledge from his past experience. There's always been something to do on Arelith, and I have had sections of time that I would leave the server for a time for Kent to take a break back at Baldur's Gate. I usually took these breaks after huge events in his personal story, or large shifts of power in the world so that he could retreat, regroup, and reflect on everything that's happened, altering his character over time as it's needed.

Having a long standing character is a great way to have a long term character arc, even though that should go without saying. Kent has gone through so many arcs, and just now is he even barely considering settling down. It's been a long 30 ig years for him, but there's still more to do, and tons of things that are still affecting him. I've had the pleasure of playing Kent both at his brash, over the top, headstrong young adult, as well as the now more wisened, smarter, and much more experienced older version of himself, and it's a beautiful thing to have partaken in over the years.

Like NMan above, I have alts, I try to interact with tons of different things on Arelith and have fun, but I always find myself drawn back to Kent, and I tend to always love the trouble and politics he gets swept up into.

Long story short: Long character arcs, an ever changing perspective on the world for the character, and the ability to change from brash to experienced over time.

KT28
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by KT28 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:31 pm

Personally I think the distinction of whether a character is new or old and how important that is for "a healthy RP environment" is over-exaggerated.

I have seen "old" characters that are incredibly fun to RP with and continually add to everyone's fun by meeting new people, investing in new characters' stories, and empowering others. I have also seen "old" characters who cling onto power and refuse to share it, hole themselves up in circles they never break out of, refuse to accept losses, or steamroll over other characters' RP. Similarly, I have seen plenty of "new" characters who are fresh and fun and full of energy and fun for everyone, but I have also seen plenty "new" characters who still have a lot of room to grow towards creating a fun RP environment for others.

I think the age of the character is much, much less important than the attitude and playstyle of the player behind the keyboard. As long as a player is open-minded, open to change, open to losing and winning (which we all should be!) I don't actually think the age of the character matters that much. In fact if anything I find some old characters to provide a very unique RP experience because they possess so much history within them - old rivalries, informed perspectives, old alliances, old loves, failures, victories, decades of growth... there's a lot to uncover if you get the chance to get to know them.

I actually think right now the server incentivizes cycling through characters too quickly. I wish more characters would stick around longer.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:04 pm

KT28 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:31 pm
Personally I think the distinction of whether a character is new or old and how important that is for "a healthy RP environment" is over-exaggerated.

I have seen "old" characters that are incredibly fun to RP with and continually add to everyone's fun by meeting new people, investing in new characters' stories, and empowering others. I have also seen "old" characters who cling onto power and refuse to share it, hole themselves up in circles they never break out of, refuse to accept losses, or steamroll over other characters' RP. Similarly, I have seen plenty of "new" characters who are fresh and fun and full of energy and fun for everyone, but I have also seen plenty "new" characters who still have a lot of room to grow towards creating a fun RP environment for others.

I think the age of the character is much, much less important than the attitude and playstyle of the player behind the keyboard. As long as a player is open-minded, open to change, open to losing and winning (which we all should be!) I don't actually think the age of the character matters that much. In fact if anything I find some old characters to provide a very unique RP experience because they possess so much history within them - old rivalries, informed perspectives, old alliances, old loves, failures, victories, decades of growth... there's a lot to uncover if you get the chance to get to know them.

I actually think right now the server incentivizes cycling through characters too quickly. I wish more characters would stick around longer.
This is a fantastic post.

Wrips

Post by Wrips » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:17 pm

All of my characters lasted 3-8 months at most, but that's because I grew bored of them or that their story had a satisfactory trajectory. I wouldn't have any problem to stay playing a character for a few years if I'm having fun.

Most of the old characters I've interacted with were also interesting, inclusive and great catalysts to roleplay.

NMan7496

Post by NMan7496 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:22 pm

KT28 wrote:

This really sums up all my feelings on long running characters.
Characters:
- Eleanor Allias, Paladin of Selûne

Former:
- Mather Allias, Elrith Ferein, Simone Beregnor-Springscar, Thalia Loreas

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:29 pm

I don't know that a RL year itself is a good metric. Maybe "a year after hitting level 30." But even then it's different from character to character. I have a character almost a year old who's not even 30 yet and has only been on the sidelines most of the time, due in part to bad time zone and RL work hours, and I could see playing for two more years before they're through-- but they're also not a power player by any means so I don't think that would negatively influence the server. But in the past I played one that was really pushy and power hungry and probably annoying and less than a year was probably enough.

I don't think you can put metrics on this, honestly, other than "I know it when I see it." To me a character who could be accused of being around too long is one who's a gatekeeper of a faction, settlement etc for multiple RL years and makes sure up and comers know things have to be their way. It's pretty hard to displace them or even create a rival who can last especially if they have support. But just sticking around for a year or two if you're a generous player who doesn't hog the spotlight, I really hope I don't see the attitude that they need to go away. A lot of people don't have time to constantly start fresh, for one thing.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:31 pm

KT28 wrote:
I think the age of the character is much, much less important than the attitude and playstyle of the player behind the keyboard. As long as a player is open-minded, open to change, open to losing and winning (which we all should be!) I don't actually think the age of the character matters that much.
Ditto to that.

I have clear altitis, but I tend to stick with my characters for a long time. I have a personal policy of, when I'm stuck with what to do with a character, I try to look to others and go "what can I do to make their game more exciting/interesting/involved" and go from there.

Each of my long term characters has a goal that will never end that I specifically chose to get involved with other people and ensure there's a way I won't be stuck in the same circles.

Veriel's neverending goal is to help people, and you can always get yeeteth into new story that way.

Okakri's is to write her thesis, which is a project I am absolutely sure I'll never finish, because I am trash at writing academically, but it does mean I can chase after people for interviews and see what happens.

I have a few others but they all boil down into "looking outward and taking that step towards others rather than waiting for them to come to you". I think that has a large component to how people can avoid burnout or feeling like they lost sight of their story.

Role-playing should be Us Us Us not Me Me Me. The old characters we know and love are great at the Us. The ones you cringe at tend to be Me.

I will say that's just my theory and it might not work for everyone, (certain characters have plot constantly thrown at them as soon as they log on, bless their hearts, but that's also from a LOT of history of that reaching out effort) but a lot can come from taking that step to be involved. Or seeing what you can do to get others involved.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:33 pm

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:04 pm
KT28 wrote:

This is a fantastic post.
Yes.

For me, the time I invest into a single character is determined by

a.) How much I enjoy playing the character
b.) How much the concept can contribute to the server

There's nothing more to that. If the character has an easy time being an enabler, I can justify sticking with it for a long time, as long as it's fun.

Additional rambling:

I personally have the feeling that many players have become jaded and lost the motivation to really sit down and play out their roles. And more importantly, listen to others play out their roles. Arelith in many regards feels a lot more game-y than it used to. Perhaps it's just my impression, but sometimes when you give players some room for character story building, they really begin to blossom. Asking them about their character's plans, past, whatever - It's a very validating thing to do for another player, who may have spent a lot of thought on their character concept. If they haven't, it helps them define their character more.

That's not to say that short-term characters cannot be enablers. But it certainly helps playing a character that reaches out to others, and others reach out to in return because they're known for being what they are.

There cannot be only protagonists with a nice, confined and round story arch. A lifeless module filled with people all focusing only on their own characters offers only so much to play around.

See also: NPC-like characters, flat characters (or rather characters with a slowly progressing story arch) and supernumery characters, mentors, etc.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:38 pm

I just realized, I gave a +1 to another post without answering the initial question.

My characters tend to last a long time, multiple years on average. I often start neutral on my characters and let the world shape if they are good or evil, depending on influences in their life. If they are evil, I like there to be a very specific reason for it, or a specific character that pushed my character over the edge. Likewise, if my character is good aligned, I like there to be a specific reason that made my character go down that path. This means there's a long buildup period for my character where I go and RP around various places until my character's found a purpose. Where a moment happens that really gives character life, gives them something to work towards (or against!).

I tend to play my characters until I feel the story has come to a natural conclusion. Maybe the character's goal has been met, maybe the character failed so spectacularly there's nothing left for them. Maybe they die trying to achieve the thing they want most! But I don't set a time limit for my characters, I let the story drive all of that. If I think my character is going to be closing I tend to stop playing and finish up writing every single story or book that is in progress. With my last character it was a year break. I am a bad procrastinator. If/when I decide to close Garrett, I have a list of books I want to write before I roll him, so there'll probably be another sizable break where I stop doing things and just write.

I agree with KT28's post in that old characters can provide a whole lot to the story. But I've also seen how they can stagnate it, it's actually a lot worse on other servers where old characters are so vastly overpowered compared to everyone else they can come and stomp on people and end stories without any consideration towards other players' experiences.
But on Arelith, that's less of an issue. I think stagnation in various places isn't due to old characters, but more due to player mindsets. I don't think character turnover would actually change some parts of the server as long as the same players keep controlling it. But the fantastic thing is, the server is so big I can go and do my thing elsewhere.

I think, to me, the purpose of an old character is to help aid other stories. To be a teacher, a leader, someone with resources and connections who can help aid other people in getting their stories going. To help the world thrive. Sort of like being a mini-DM.

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Took me more than a year to reach 30. Not looking forward to leveling again.

Maybe longer at level 30 and I'll be ready, but there's still goals I had at character creation that I haven't been able to get around to yet.

Who is the audience for this post?

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:52 pm

I do agree that there are ways you can do long term characters without stepping on people's toes or holding too many players/RP avenues back. I think Garrett is probably one of the best examples of how that would look on the server (I'm sure there are others).

As someone who loves major changes in the games I play (mechanical and/or setting based), I have a much larger appetite for this than most and I don't think that everyone needs to bend to my way of thinking.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:11 pm

As an aside, I'm not saying that playing a long running character is always a bad thing. This is not what this is about (though feel free to discuss it.)

I'm just mostly interested in why people do it.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:35 pm

My longest character was Ravares. (Like over a year I think.) For me, she was super fun to play. Even after I rolled her I feel like I could have spent another year playing her. During her time however there were several moments that were like 'Okay end Scene.' I came up to one of those again. It just felt 'right' to actually end it end it. But actually deciding to roll her was tough. I totally thought, a lot, about not following through or just keeping going.

But, there are like some core ideas that I think are super important. I used this on my past character too so like this is what I think of.

- Is my character still facilitating rp? That is like, is the character oppressive to RP by their existence? This doesn't have anything to do with the player exactly. It's more so like is your characters existence continually barring alternative RP? Like maybe your character is just such a behemoth of reputation and power they squash out plots by just entering the scene. Everyone flocks to that character for things and it really culls opportunities for new players to make a reputation.

Now I think it's totally fair to allow your character to bask in their reputation for awhile. But when you hit year 2, 3, 4? Is it maybe too much? I view it like giving someone else a turn. I don't want to dominate any one area for a long extended period of time.

Now you can break out of that without rolling, but even then I think the accumulation of reputation can still be repressive.

- Are things stale?

Same song, four hundred and thirty third verse. Am I continually running into the same wall? Is -nothing- changing? Is the plot more or less the same that it has been for months? If I reach a point where things are stale, aren't moving, and there doesn't appear to be an avenue to progress I think it's a good idea to wrap things up and move on.

Characters who are prominent or notorious I think are the most likely to reach this stage. At some point you just need to say "Okay, this isn't moving. It's time to make it move and i'll be the piece that moves."

I'd dispel the notion that a character 'failing' IG amounts to a 'loss' to you as a player. That's like not real. You win by creating good stories and facilitating good rp. Sometimes Good RP is your character failing. But separate the word failure like from you as a player.

- Has my character achieved their goals? Or failed to?

This kind of ties into the last one. But where is your character at? Ravares was like, okay she had a super expansive reputation and I enjoyed exploiting that. I felt like I could still make a lot of RP but I wanted to use her reputation, instead, bolster -another- character's story rather than my own.

- Does my character rolling add to the story.

Maybe my characters death or departure would kick off a ton of RP. That is totally something i'd be keen to consider to roll a character for good. Really any action that furthers a story or creates IC drama and fits within the IC motives of the character.

- In Conclusion -

I consider like any character that exceeds 4-8 months to be long lived. I think I'll continue to exceede this time frame but it really depends on the above. And what my character does. Like sometimes a character burns hot for 2-3 months and runs a crazy story. At some point the book has to end.

I really believe it's healthy OOC to be able to end a character. I think it's a mark of a good RPer too. Because i'm afraid long lived characters (this includes self reflection I have on myself.) could become a dam holding back change and adding to stagnation. And while I might personally enjoy the state of things others may not. I think progression in story is essential to creating a fun and diverse RP environment. I do not want to crowd an area for a super long time.

Also this is just healthy for like you as a player. Take a step back and separate yourself from the character and realize what's great about your character isn't the character. It's you the player. So whatever you make next has the same capacity to be just as fun and exciting.
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Apothys

Post by Apothys » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:51 pm

Royal Blood wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:35 pm
My longest character was Ravares. (Like over a year I think.) For me, she was super fun to play. Even after I rolled her I feel like I could have spent another year playing her. During her time however there were several moments that were like 'Okay end Scene.' I came up to one of those again. It just felt 'right' to actually end it end it. But actually deciding to roll her was tough. I totally thought, a lot, about not following through or just keeping going.

But, there are like some core ideas that I think are super important. I used this on my past character too so like this is what I think of.

- Is my character still facilitating rp? That is like, is the character oppressive to RP by their existence? This doesn't have anything to do with the player exactly. It's more so like is your characters existence continually barring alternative RP? Like maybe your character is just such a behemoth of reputation and power they squash out plots by just entering the scene. Everyone flocks to that character for things and it really culls opportunities for new players to make a reputation.

Now I think it's totally fair to allow your character to bask in their reputation for awhile. But when you hit year 2, 3, 4? Is it maybe too much? I view it like giving someone else a turn. I don't want to dominate any one area for a long extended period of time.

Now you can break out of that without rolling, but even then I think the accumulation of reputation can still be repressive.

- Are things stale?

Same song, four hundred and thirty third verse. Am I continually running into the same wall? Is -nothing- changing? Is the plot more or less the same that it has been for months? If I reach a point where things are stale, aren't moving, and there doesn't appear to be an avenue to progress I think it's a good idea to wrap things up and move on.

Characters who are prominent or notorious I think are the most likely to reach this stage. At some point you just need to say "Okay, this isn't moving. It's time to make it move and i'll be the piece that moves."

I'd dispel the notion that a character 'failing' IG amounts to a 'loss' to you as a player. That's like not real. You win by creating good stories and facilitating good rp. Sometimes Good RP is your character failing. But separate the word failure like from you as a player.

- Has my character achieved their goals? Or failed to?

This kind of ties into the last one. But where is your character at? Ravares was like, okay she had a super expansive reputation and I enjoyed exploiting that. I felt like I could still make a lot of RP but I wanted to use her reputation, instead, bolster -another- character's story rather than my own.

- Does my character rolling add to the story.

Maybe my characters death or departure would kick off a ton of RP. That is totally something i'd be keen to consider to roll a character for good. Really any action that furthers a story or creates IC drama and fits within the IC motives of the character.

- In Conclusion -

I consider like any character that exceeds 4-8 months to be long lived. I think I'll continue to exceede this time frame but it really depends on the above. And what my character does. Like sometimes a character burns hot for 2-3 months and runs a crazy story. At some point the book has to end.

I really believe it's healthy OOC to be able to end a character. I think it's a mark of a good RPer too. Because i'm afraid long lived characters (this includes self reflection I have on myself.) could become a dam holding back change and adding to stagnation. And while I might personally enjoy the state of things others may not. I think progression in story is essential to creating a fun and diverse RP environment. I do not want to crowd an area for a super long time.

Also this is just healthy for like you as a player. Take a step back and separate yourself from the character and realize what's great about your character isn't the character. It's you the player. So whatever you make next has the same capacity to be just as fun and exciting.
I agree 100% with every part of this, thank you, I wanted to write exactly this myself but i just didnt have the words to express it properly. Kudos.

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:21 pm

Royal Blood wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:35 pm

I agree with everything except this time frame. I don't think you can put a number on "when", some of us level very slowly and drop in and out, some are on 16 hours a day. Some "alts" are around in the background for years doing not much of anything then step up to the main stage. Some characters are shelved for monthsand have a big comeback, though just as many probably realize quickly why they were shelved. If anything it's not months or years played-- it's hours played, and even then speed varies, even between different characters on the same player. Someone in an active faction might be part of things right out the gate and a real niche character may take a long time to get going if at all. *shrugs*

Archon

Post by Archon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:56 pm

It is challenging to answer the question of why character sticks around for a long time. I main Vance, and he has been around since late 2014, with extended breaks on the side. Some of those breaks have lasted well over a year while I main another character or focus to RL. Mains between those breaks have usually lasted some six months and going at full sails, and looking back I regret rolling some of them; characters burned out faster than I felt satisfied with their closure, or lack there of.

I think the major thing that has kept my main around for so long, is the constant flow of new factions and characters to RP with -- giving them tools to do their thing, be their enemy, or a friend and everything in-between. It is all those interactions that have shaped the character along the active years, and I still don't feel I am hitting a point where the story ends. There's always something to do, and if I feel that a story arc/goal is met along the way, I hit a break and let server story unfold without him being anywhere near it to be involved.

The long history in part is a factor as well. An advisory role is very satisfying, and imparting stories in-game of what has been before. Sometimes passing along a single book to those who come asking opens up a whole new avenue for people to pursue goal X of the month; be it for group plots or individual characters.

As well, a portion of the "why" is character's flexibility. It's alright to play an adamant character that has set goals and predetermined purpose and action plan, and through that a vague expiration date (this happens to me if I purposefully create a character for a faction, they usually die along with it) -- while I have not kept many fixed frames with the main. Character have gone with the flow and been shaped by everything that has gone down; and now, it is a far cry from what I created it as originally despite core ideals/themes.

So long as I, as a player, enjoy the character and feel it to be in position to enable others, and have something left to give I am in comfortable spot and never worry too much. I have not had a moment with Vance when I think ''but what will I do now to keep story going and character fresh?'' - it just happens. If I reach a point to consider that question with any active character I throw them to Normal Award limbo (greaters is a myth).

Attempting to artificially extend a character's lifespan by making life support plans is a sign they should go. At least for me.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:10 pm

The only reason I can't answer yes is because I do not continuously play a full year to begin with as a player. I will do things like play a character for a few weeks or months even, and then stop for months and then maybe return to say character and they may go on and off for years. High character rotation ethic of the server causes significant rifts in a lot of my character's story and is there often feels there is a lack of stability. Yes, there are character that hang around, but those ones may not be the one I am interested in meeting or different playtime, etc. The constantly new characters should bring me more chances, but they often are going at such a pace, that I can't really develop a relation with said characters.

TLDR: most my character never end, because there is no end to have to begin with because of my playtime/playstyle/etc.

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:17 pm

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:10 pm
The constantly new characters should bring me more chances, but they often are going at such a pace, that I can't really develop a relation with said characters.
That's always something I think of when this topic comes up. Stagnant long term characters is a problem, but even after a few years of play (this time around) I look at the portal and recognize a tiny fractions of the names at any given time. I'm constantly meeting someone new, getting something going and getting excited about the possibilities then they're abruptly gone with no goodbye or resolution. Rapid turnover isn't all it's cracked up to be either.

Pincushion

Post by Pincushion » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:48 pm

This isn't answering the question, but I think it's relevant to the discussion and the general 'mood' of what GrumpyCat is trying to ask about. Personally, my longest-running character can't be over 6 months, and I've never reached 30. I am currently dedicating myself to something a lot more long-term, but there's a slump that tends to hit me after the 2-month mark. Now, on any other server, I'd be able to shelf a character easily and simply return to them when I'm ready, in as little as a week. But in arelith, with the epic sacrifice mechanic, I get those intrusive thoughts - and eventually, they get the better of me. And I roll way too early.

The system, as it stands right now, doesn't make the oldest characters role. If a player hates grinding and loves their character, they'll never get rid of them. The system for recycling the eldest and promoting growth and change instead widens the extreme between lowbies and 1-5 year vets who are hard maining one character for the foreseeable future. This leaves people like me, who are little brasher and are easily tempted by rewards to shoot ourselves in the foot on a bad day.

I don't think the system is horrible, mind. It's the best recycling method we like have at our disposal, but it isn't perfect and can affect the more impulsive brand of player. I would love an option to disable rolling without DM permission for characters, or even some kind of -shelf_character command which temporarily removes a character from the vault.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:02 am

I don't think this concern is exaggerated at all.

Undoubtedly, there is space for all types of players and characters. I think brilliant players will shine in what ever the circumstance - and while we all strive for such quality, it's not ubiquitous or anything.

My first character was my oldest (at 2 years), and all have been shorter since. The average being around 1 year.

I've said this elsewhere, but I definitely feel like Arelith simultaneously encourages a great cycling of characters - and the exact opposite. Because the Epic Sacrifice system firmly emphasizes mechanical advancement, rather than narrative advancement, we see a mass cycling of "less important" characters.

If we could quantify "narrative weight", I bet you'd see a lot of cycling through the 'minion' class, and less through the 'leadership.'

I think Arelith has always been like that, for sure, don't get me wrong. I just think it becomes more painfully obvious because the overall average lifespan of an Arelithian has dramatically decreased.

Holding onto faction supremacy for 6+ months was totally expected in the past. Nowadays (as witnessed here), when characters themselves might not even last six months, we're not seeing areas of influence cycle through as quickly. Maybe this is a good thing, I don't know. But a part of it can lend itself to feelings of exclusivity, elitism, or cliques when you've cycled through your 3rd character arc and Jo Schmo is still Leader of XYZ Militia.

At a certain point, some players will wonder - "Is Jo Schmo just holding onto power? Is Jo Schmo getting too comfortable? Is Jo Schmo a part of some clique?"

Reiterating, slightly, on what KT28 said - I think it's very important for older characters to be aware of this perception, and become more generous with power, influence, and creating opportunity the more established and entrenched they become.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil