People who've earned 30 or 40 RPR... How?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

gesseritt
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: People who've earned 30 or 40 RPR... How?

Post by gesseritt » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:28 am

Many years ago, I played a matron that stirred up Udos after a long period of stagnation in the settlement. The DMs liked that I guess since activity went up among the player base. They bumped me to 30 from 20, which I had been at for more than a year at least, I think. The character ended up permadead shortly thereafter.
Discord: gesseritt#9934

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:49 am

I've kept it secret for a while now, but I've got a 40 rpr, and had one since Ayin Mesmer was a person and not a statue.

Heres my advice

OOCLY:
-Don't play for the rpr. I've never done something solely for the purpose of trying to raise my RPR. I've seen people do that; they last maybe a month before they start raging about how they're not getting noticed because of favoritism and WHY NOT ME!??!

-Don't be a dick. OOC behavior on discord, the forums, and tells does, in fact, sometimes factor into whether or not you get a rpr bump.

-Breaking the rules or exploiting is also a way to get your rpr dropped fast and hard.

ICLY
-Good or evil, lawful or chaotic, try to be consistent with your characters motives, behaviors, and actions. While at the same time....

-....be flexible when approaching other people; be willing to bend a little every now and then if it means making things a bit more enjoyable for everyone else. This isn't "Banites and Paladins having tea", but maybe "lets not do gory one-sided torture rp and instead do some witty back and forth interrogations while exchanging theological points/perspectives."

-Put some real effort and explainations into the things you do IG. Terry was the character I was playing when I got my 40 rpr, largely in part because he was an artifacter who made a lot of magitech-related items. Each item would have a logical lore-friendly reason as to how it worked, but was presented in a manner that made it possible for other players to essentially steal the tech and repurpose it with their own unique take or style. None of this would have been possible if I half-assed the descriptions or reasoning as to how they worked. And I made a lot of crap. Metal limbs that fused and grew to their host. Magical gonnes before gonnes were an actual item. Magical flesh patches to treat wounds. Artificial intellegence. Gemstone energy cores. Golems. The list goes on. All of this was repurposed and reused by other players quite liberally to enhance their own rp and storylines.

-Make some real weaknesses in your character. Try to make them correlate to your character sheet. A low CON character shouldn't be up for running marathons. A low INT character shouldn't act like a master scholar who clearly, CLEARLY, knows more than the epic wizard over there. ETC. Try to be consistent with your flaws. Bonus points if you can make them come off naturally and/or entertaining without being an attention whore.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:54 am

msterswrdsmn wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:49 am
I've kept it secret for a while now, but I've got a 40 rpr, and had one since Ayin Mesmer was a person and not a statue.
when did i become the arelith equivalent of BCE/CE holy christ

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Dovesong

Post by Dovesong » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Kuma wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:54 am
msterswrdsmn wrote:
You SURE you want an answer?
In'iira - Woman of Many Talents.

Lily-Rose - Daughter of the storm

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Kuma wrote:
msterswrdsmn wrote:
Some of us call you our messiah in secret.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:18 pm

There is no easy answer to this question, as I'm sure others above have pointed out. In the end you're going to be dealing with with different DMs, each of whom will have differing criteria as to what constitutes a 40, but I can, as I have done before, give some rough pointers.

First of, most crucially, don't give the DMs a reason to be doubt your goodwill towards the community. Most of the time if a RPR raise gets rejected, its because of some prior poor behaviour, excessive PvP, bullying, dismissive or rude posting about fellow players. If DMs have been given cause to doubt you're a 'stand-up' individual, you're going to get rejected for a raise.

The second thing comes out of the first really. If you're not supportive of other players and staff, and lack any goodwill towards them, it is going to show in your RP. Being elitist, sticking within your chosen clique of 'worthy' players, is definitely going to raise some red flags. We're a small community, and definitely at our best when we treat (and view) one-another favourably. If you think that ****talking other players is going to go unnoticed because it is done via private Discords or tells - it won't, people share this stuff as a matter of course. Being a 40 is very much about being a positive member of the community, and nothing leaves me feeling quite as demotivated than seeing that stuff, and I would veto anyone for a 40 if I was aware of that kind of behaviour from them.

Then there is the in-game, actual role-playing side. The hard truth is that to get a 40, you've really got to be a decent writer, and inventive enough to come up with concepts that others find interesting. If you keep repeating the same emotes, or play only one character exclusively as a 'second self', DMs will have little reason to believe you're an excellent role-player. One really needs to flex some creative muscle.

Then there is a great contridiction to be tackled - you need to be active enough to actually be noticed by DMs, but also, at the same time, not be seen to be hogging the limelight. A character that repeatedly inserts themselves at the centre of every narrative they come across is not going to get that 40, but at the same time, you don't get anywhere by not actually being present. My advice there would be to talk to as many character as possible, in 'light' roleplay, and most importantly - listen to them, Many players are keen to tell their character's story. BE the person they're telling that story to, without trying to push your story upon them. You'll make a lot of friends, and soon become immediately recognisable to many on the server. Of course not all characters are the 'social-listening' type, but there are other ways to be inclusive and ennabling to others, the trick here is to do all this without being too obvious about it.

So here are some examples of 'types' that I find often fall just short of a 40...

A player who plays one character exclusively for RL years, and puts themselves front and centre of almost every event, often dominating a settlement or faction at the expense of all others. Even if this character is fantastically role-played, they're going to run into problems getting that 40.

A player who is making the greatest concepts, writes like a pro, but routinely finds themslves in involved in bitter OOC conflicts in pursuit of their goals, and is given to belittling other players for their lack of insight on the forums.

An extremely sociable character, who while very much paying attention to others around them is a little too pushy about it, often dumping so much support by way of items, gold and position to those they meet that their role as 'frequent patron' can be mistaken for a manipulation (whereby 'earning' their goodwill becomes a sure-fire way to get ahead on the server).

The final thing I would say, and where I think the RPB/RPR systems fails most heavily in relation to casual players. To get noticed for a 40 involves repeatedly coming to the attention of the same DMs. If you play so infrequently that they don't ever get the chance to know you, the chance of a raise drops significantly. DMs rotate, and move on, after all.

Unlike others posting here I'm not a 40, I was once, before getting dropped. I don't tihnk I ever will be again, because I just don't play enough, or frequently enough, to be anything other than a bit player. I don't mind of course, because this system isn't a ladder; most of us will never rise above that 20 or 30, and for me? That's just fine.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:08 pm

Drowble Oh Seven wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:50 am
I forget who wrote it, but the best summary of all of this (which really comes down to being inclusive and putting fun for everyone ahead of victory for a few) came down to:

'Poke at other PCs, and figure out what their Thing is. Then give them opportunities to do the Thing.'
I thought this sounded like something I said, ha!
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:20 pm

I've got a 40.

I got my 30 some years ago back in Udos Dro'xun/Pit Town days. The UD was a little quieter at the time, so it was likely easier to get noticed. I had been playing my PC for a few months, and had been playing off and on for almost a year by that point, but when I got the 30 I was playing fairly regularly. My PC was doing temple things to drum up RP and what not.

I got my 40 somewhat recently while playing Ilphaeryl Xun'viir, my longest running Arelith character. I play a few side characters, but she's been by and large my focus. As a faction leader I try to involve as many as possible be they part of the faction or not. It's kind of about getting your finger in every pie you can without having a controlling interest. Facilitation of others' RP, kind of being a hook for other people to jump off of into their RP seems to be the way to go. My playtime is also, quite ridiculous. I play Arelith a lot, so it is likely how I could get the 40 RPR in the first place.

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:14 pm

[i was drunk when i wrote this, this is not good advice]
Last edited by Kuma on Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:03 pm

Kuma wrote:
I used Ayin because Terry and Ayin would spend time together doing morally questionable things. I suppose I could have used Trintiren as well (Aka: dragon wing king of myon). They're both characters that pop up IG as "ye olde times" measuring sticks.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:56 pm

msterswrdsmn wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:03 pm
Kuma wrote:
I used Ayin because Terry and Ayin would spend time together doing morally questionable things. I suppose I could have used Trintiren as well (Aka: dragon wing king of myon). They're both characters that pop up IG as "ye olde times" measuring sticks.
Aristotle, as Captain of the Cordor gaurds, is my "ye old times" measuring stick lol

Fallout

Post by Fallout » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:20 am

I got 20 RPR in first week of Arelith ten years ago, or similar, my companions died amongst the bunch of stingers (yep that low lvl we were), so instead of being super-hero, using the bandages and buffs , luring one by one i asked people to wait and i went to Pit Town, tell a story and formed the search-party that clean the area and priest who rise the fallen, all following with a good ale after the event in good old Spider Web.

30 RPR i got during time when not many people were in UD while trying to organise some story during the "Silence of DMs" who at the time didnt give any stories and interact with players as they do now, people who i didnt know simply suggest me for higher RPR even as i didnt emote or know english very well (yep, was worse than now:)). I was part of large settlement, than got to be outcast living in the wilds for IRL months as my whole faction crumbled and was hunted briefly, after that i returned to civilization and organised huge faction. I played A LOT, i mean, A LOT! :)

I dont agree one needs to be a leader for higher RPR, several 40 RPR i know of werent part of any faction, but a lone bards, or as its my favorite, a trader :) , simply what i seen was them using things around them (nearby mushroom, table, statue, ritual circle, your party members, simple dirt...) into shaping of their presentation, also really made the effort to find out what motivates your toon to shape the story, they seemed so real!

I learned a lot from this players, sometimes i do play as higher RPR should my issue is the time in real life, so quality is not always as such as one would like, however when i do play I dont play it for higher RPR but firstly to make other player to enjoy, myself and for the story to create. A new toon is sometimes nice reset to put more effort in it.

Btw, this is a cool topic one can learn a lot aside of RPR thing. Kudos all!

kookootoo
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by kookootoo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:04 am

Some of it is luck. I would especially echo what irongron said above. If you play infrequently I would just not expect to get an RPR boost above 20 (not saying it doesn’t happen but it’s hard for a DM to remember you). I don’t have it anymore but I got a 30 rpr for dredging up a lot of conflict between wharf town Guldorand and Cordor ( at the time my character Iz was mayoress of Wharftown and I spent a ~looot~ of time in game involved in other people’s RP).

My adhd rambling point is: your RPR should be something you don’t think about. Like it’s a nice bonus but who cares? Try to play characters you enjoy and try not to be an Snuggybear. If you support others and are genuinely invested in the community you will get a lot more benefit from enjoying the game and enjoying the people than a 10xp boost every few minutes.

EDIT: had a few drinks, that second paragraph was really way whinier than I meant it to be and didn’t add anything to the discussion so I’m removing it.
Last edited by kookootoo on Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curve

Post by Curve » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:23 am

I've got a 30. My characters always look to make conflict. My characters get into a lot of conflict. My characters do not cheese or push the rules of engagement. My characters always give an out from PvP. My characters get into a lot of PvP. My characters typically do something more fun than leaving a body laying or bashing when I win the PvP. My characters stay dead a while if they lose PvP.

I ask myself often if I am having fun, if it seems like what I am doing is fun for others. If the answer is no, or I am not bringing much to the game I will log out. I get mad sometimes, I get frustrated with others and myself in the game. But, I try my best to be zen when I am playing. I bend my character as far as I can without breaking it when it matters. I let the world and characters in it affect my character.

I concern myself with atmosphere as often as I can and am able.

I really try to be as good of a 30 as I can but, I am not a 40 player. My concepts are too small. I do not like to lead factions or participate in large factions.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:47 am

I got my 30 playing Havardr Steinsson.

I'm pretty sure I got it for playing a deeply flawed character (who I wasn't afraid of losing as/reacting to situations as something other than an ultra-confident ubermensch as) and for shifting the limelight away from myself to others.

The only advice I can offer is to not really think about it, and to try to play characters that are believable and consistent and part of the world - that simultaneously drive action and are driven by the actions of others.
what would fred rogers do?