Divine Shield / Might

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Xerah

Re: Divine Shield / Might

Post by Xerah » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:32 pm

Usually you use it 10-13 times a rest. It needs to be short.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

CorsicanDoge

Post by CorsicanDoge » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:45 pm

NPC Logger Number 2 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:08 pm
Xerah wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:47 pm
Main class skill? These are optional feats.

It also has no cooldown at all
I stand corrected, you are right. The duration still seems pretty short though.
It goes off of your CHA so if you make +10 cha somehow it's about as long as a bard song with +10 damage/AC. In this case, it lasts long enough for the job and gives hefty bonuses.

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:27 am

NPC Logger Number 2 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:08 pm
The duration still seems pretty short though.
And it very much ought to be, as they are two of the most powerful feats in the entire game currently (in fact, now more than ever, probably), so much that a considerable portion of meta (melee/ranged) builds are built around their availability.

If anything, their short duration is a good thing, not only because of the feats' power, but also because it adds to the tactical aspect of the game, of which - let's face it - increasingly little is left in current Arelith (granted, it may have been worse during old implosion times), owing to the cumulative updates facilitating shotgun PvP and mentality. The usage of these feats requires, to a certain extent, timing (due to short duration) and planning (due to limited amount of uses), which is a very reasonable trade-off.

Instant actions are incredibly powerful in a game like NWN and, if you ask me, we already have too many of them (e.g., PDK abilities, rage, blinding speed). The more actions are made instant, the more shotgun-focused PvP dynamics will become. If we continue down that path, we might as well end up handing every character one of those sequencer's robes at creation.
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:57 am

If divine dipping should be taken down a notch - which I am not sure it should - limiting the synergy of just a few lvls by tying the amount of dmg/saves/AC you gain to amount of class lvls or some such

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:09 pm

Divine might/shield (along with some other stuff Arelith never touched, such as bard song for example) are two of foundation pillars of our balance map. Touching them directly is a can of worms. The wrap up time is important to keep these feats balanced. In fact, the wrap up is so crucial to their balance that some very good builders flip their div builds to dex based just for the insta-action haste in Blinding Speed and call it #worth. I think this goes to show these feats are quite alright as they are.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:27 pm

I don't think tethering these feats' effectiveness to levels invested is a good idea either. While dips are certainly popular, high investment in paladin or blackguard are very /very/ good right now.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:37 pm

Jagel wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:57 am
If divine dipping should be taken down a notch - which I am not sure it should - limiting the synergy of just a few lvls by tying the amount of dmg/saves/AC you gain to amount of class lvls or some such
I'd personally be against this to, for the sole reason that zhent/harper builds mechanically cannot take more than 5 levels, which is probably still in the range of what would be a level dip with any other class.

Honestly I don't think its too bad right now? Its a very powerful, very short lived boost to a character. Its duration is heavily dependant on your CHA investment, and even with a heavy investment, its duration is going to be comparable to a bards song buff. While a bardsong buff affects an entire party, divine shield/might only affect the user.

Yes, it can boost your damage and AC to extremely high levels, but its not without its weakpoints?
-Its short lived.
-It has to be casted, and isn't an insta-effect ability
-It requires a heavy CHA investment in terms of stats and/or gear
-Divine Shield is dodge AC, so anything that can immobilize someone will negate the AC bonus entirely

Wrips

Post by Wrips » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Non-WM STR builds really need it to remain competitive. Nerfing it would encourage shotgun pvp even more.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:47 pm

Well there you go

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:25 pm

Ork wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:27 pm
I don't think tethering these feats' effectiveness to levels invested is a good idea either. While dips are certainly popular, high investment in paladin or blackguard are very /very/ good right now.
Agreed.

Blackgaurd dips still have to "lose their soul" (not necessarily literally). And paladin dips still should rp as being a paladin. And the feat taxes + level dip isn't nothing.

Brycers are not OP and a Sorcerors gives up two epic feats for taking divine shield + no ranger dip + having alignment restrictions.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:24 am

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:25 pm
Ork wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:27 pm
Agreed.

Blackgaurd dips still have to "lose their soul" (not necessarily literally). And paladin dips still should rp as being a paladin. And the feat taxes + level dip isn't nothing.

Brycers are not OP and a Sorcerors gives up two epic feats for taking divine shield + no ranger dip + having alignment restrictions.
and going 13 str