Politics

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

torugor

Politics

Post by torugor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:18 pm

Hello...I am new to the server. Conglactulations it seems wonderful to play.

I saw a lot of information here but i cant find information of the current politics going on. I would like my character`s rp to connect to the game lore and add to it. But i would like to know more about the news of whats happening in the city i live before start thinking on a plan of action.

I dont know who rules, what kind of political system is used (monarchy? demoracy? republic?) what factions control goverment. What is the role of religion on the city? What is the relation of if city with the other?

Is there a place i can read about it?

Itikar

Re: Politics

Post by Itikar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:21 pm

I would suggest that you roleplay a character new to the island and ask for these things in game. It may not be the only way to learn this, and this is in no way to discourage you from asking some basic information on the forums, but I point this out as a way to get your character connected directly and to have fun roleplay at the same time. And most likely also being thrown into the political rp too!

Welcome aboard and I hope you will have fun here! :)

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:36 pm

Welcome!

I heavily encourage asking around and learning all of this in game. Not only will you make connections with characters that are interested in politics, but you only get your first genuine learning experience on Arelith once. Don't spoil it out of character!
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

theCountofMonteCristo

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Welcome Torugor. Each settlement has its own system and way of doing things. And each time a new leader takes the reigns, things change. Sometimes slightly, sometimes drastically.

In every settlement is a citizenry registrar. This NPC will tell you some basic information about the settlement. Who is the leader. What their title is. Who else is important in the settlement and what their title is. From there, you can start to piece together how the settlement functions.

The best part though, will be asking people. Not just those in charge, but everyone who will listen. The leader might tell you that it is a meritocracy, everyone gains their position by being the best. But then some person on the street might point out that half the government positions are filled with family members of the leader. Is it corruption? Is it really that these were the best suited? Find out! People will have lots of perspectives on the same thing.

torugor

Post by torugor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:36 pm

I will talk to people to know more...but i just feel my character should know the basics.

I live in a country and just by being raised here and being interested i know both my local area politics and some of international politics.
Even my daughter knows who is the queen of england or the president of US and we dont live there.

So it seems weird to me that my character wouldnt know the basics. If we are in peace...if we are in war...the city`s main concerns....things like that.

torugor

Post by torugor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Going further....i doubt the commoner and the peasant of a medieval city dont know who is he paying taxes to...or wheather there is or not some foreign countries usually making raids or attacking their country. That`s the kind of thing we are raised listening about.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Arelith is international a tiny backwater in the forgotten realms setting. If your character isn't born on the island, chances are that they'd know about as much about the state of the island as any given westerner would about the nation of Bhutan in real life, which is to say that no one except the people explicitly interested in that region would know much or anything about it beyond the name. Further, we live in a modern era where conveniences like the internet and television makes knowledge of international affairs easy. But in Faerun the best you have is the occasional teleportation and sending spell, otherwise it's good old fashioned messengers that deliver all the news, and even then it's likely to only be news immediately pertinent to the region they're in.

So in short, arriving at the isle with 0 knowledge about it is a pretty accurate representation of how most denizens of the sword coast would find their first time in Cordor.

If you want to make a native character that's been raised on the isle, I would strongly recommend playing around as a foreigner first. There's so much history that players have caused over Arelith's existence that it'd be hard if not impossible to summarize the important key-points.

torugor

Post by torugor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:46 pm

Thank you Nitro that is a good answer that allows me to adapt my rp.

Aroura

Post by Aroura » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi there!

I have written a few IC books on how the political climate functions in some settlements, its just a matter of finding the character who wrote them and convincing her to part with her precious books.
Basic things like how the warehouses work, voting, citizenship, elections, powers and how to stage a coup!
A lot of it is FOIG but there are people who can explain it if asked.