2.8 Gig Download

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

RedGiant

2.8 Gig Download

Post by RedGiant » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:05 am

Logged in today to a required 2.8 gig download needed to play.

Is this on my end with a windows update or something? Or did I miss something important...somewhere?
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: 2.8 Gig Download

Post by Aniel » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:17 am

i think it was just you. To my knowledge there haven't been very many HAK updates lately, let alone anything bigger than some odd megabytes.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:09 am

There was a windows update that seems to have reset several of my apps/programs.

*shakes fist*

Thanks!
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

mirvv

Post by mirvv » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:59 am

happend with me too, its kinda forget where and what files available for nwn and created an nwn.1 folder with the same files before.
Characters:
"Papa" Rasma: ALT (merchant goblin of Golden Goblin Korporation)
Ashnodh: MAIN (wild goblin tribal of the Broke Tooth Clan)

Died/Rolled:
Murag, Rusmo, Rismu, Fivez, Ret, Galepen, Crab

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:08 am

That being said I think 2.8 Gig is way too much for the current content Arelith has to offer. A lot of these are just bad, unused, resources. The haks could use a cleanup. We have shitty tileset reskins that are buggy and half the time crashes the toolset and no one probably wants to use anyway. And now we can reskin with scripting too which makes these tilesets even more silly to have.

Look at the latest Icon update it was only like, what, 60mb? Take that into consideration when comparing to a 250+ mb tileset that is barely used. These icons give much, much, more to the game.

Of course once we can fully make use of the latest patch we can clean up the Haks then as we are already using a lot of Tyrants resources.

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:51 am

ActionReplay wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:08 am
That being said I think 2.8 Gig is way too much for the current content Arelith has to offer. A lot of these are just bad, unused, resources. The haks could use a cleanup. We have shitty tileset reskins that are buggy and half the time crashes the toolset and no one probably wants to use anyway. And now we can reskin with scripting too which makes these tilesets even more silly to have.
This has been an issue for way too long, and I think a lot of players would be intensely happy if this cleanup actually happened, making play time a lot more enjoyable.
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:59 am

the grim yeeter wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:51 am
ActionReplay wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:08 am
This has been an issue for way too long, and I think a lot of players would be intensely happy if this cleanup actually happened, making play time a lot more enjoyable.
This is prevented because of c*nsole players, as their clients aren't being properly updated to take full advantage. The patch added stuff that we already use in the form of haks but we can't transfer over to the new stuff (and therefore delete the old stuff) until c*nsoles get updated. So yell at Beamdog, sadly.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Ugh, allowing console players was a huge mistake.
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:19 pm

Many of our largest HAKs are actually the tilesets used in Tyrants, and the very same ones that were recently updated into the main game, and thus now exist in duplicate. The rest of our tilesets really are quite small by comparison.

These are the new city, the rural mountains and the snowy version of the same. Without all 3 our HaK would be considerably smaller.

The issue for us, currently, is that consoles and Android have not updated, and thus we cannot remove them without ending our presence on those platforms.

It's a bad situation; we must either stay as we are and hope these will one day update, end all but PC support, or remove what are the finest assets for NwN in EE. Removing much else would have only a marginal impact.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:28 pm

the grim yeeter wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:12 pm
Ugh, allowing console players was a huge mistake.
Many other servers will be in the same situation, at least for now, as they too use those tilesets and cannot easily update/replace. Why? Because for the 'Tyrants' version models and textures were replaced to ensure no ripped assets were utilized.

Remember these tilesets have been on the NwN for years, and as one of the only non-Hak servers we were one of the only servers that didn't use them. Furthermore I only included them AFTER Tyrants was released, and used the commercial versions, therefore we are probably the only major server that would have almost no issues with swapping them out, should that be an option.

There is also one further potential solution I did not mention above, as first of all, it is not yet certain, and secondly, to prematurely announce someone else's work here would be very poor practice.

I'm the meantime we will have to live with this download size.

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:39 pm

Irongron wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:19 pm
[...] we must either [...], end all but PC support, or [...]
Out of curiosity, what exactly keeps you from doing this? I'd only see this as an improvement for a roleplay server such as Arelith.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:03 pm

I honestly don't see much point in android and console support being doggedly sought after. I have met many console and mobile players and the vast majority struggled to compose more than simple yes/no responses in any timely manner, often relying entirely on prescripted voicelines to do all their RP. And some just not engaging in RP at all, just using mobile to grind, refresh quarters or maintain stores while at work.

I'm not being mean when I say that they're RP-lite players for the most part (everyone but those who has a proper, virtual or otherwise, keyboard for their console) but it is the truth.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:00 pm

But Arelith never discriminated against RP-lite players, it has always been said that as long as no rules are broken, people can roleplay as much or as little as they feel comfortable doing, it will just be reflected in their RPR.

Nothing prevents me from connecting a keyboard to my console afaik, and just typing as I would on a PC. I don't see why we would think of discarding consoles just because it has a higher rate of lower quality roleplayers.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:54 pm

I think the more salient argument is that Beamdog itself isn't supporting console players, which is holding the server back from cool (and, eventually I suspect, necessary for functionality and security) updates.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Yeah the argument isn't "ditch console because they're bad RP'ers" it's "don't let consoles hold the rest of the server back".

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:47 pm

They really aren’t holding the server back in any means. You just have a slightly larger download to package stuff that will eventually be on all.

It’s just a matter of what to include in a download and not.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.