NWN HD Edition not happening now but maybe in the future!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

NWN HD Edition not happening now but maybe in the future!

Post by rat0a » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:52 am

Here is the thread in question,

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion ... ee-for-now

I guess we have to wait a few more years to find out
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: NWN HD Edition not happening now but maybe in the future

Post by Artos13 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:50 pm

I dunno, I was totally unimpressed with what they did with the BG series. Seemed like they just added in a ton of new bugs, and the new content stuck out like a sore thumb. If they were to "enhance" NWN, I think we'd end up with a ton of new problems and issues compared to one or two new cool things. I'm fine with this.

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:10 pm

Artos13 wrote: I'm fine with this.
This.
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:17 pm

Artos, have you actually played the BGEE?

Granted BG1 EE had lot's of bug at launch but the original game had them too

They learned from their mistakes and BG2 EE launch was smooth compared to the first one

Now because I came to the RPG scene late I never played those games when they were released in the late 90s so I don't have the nostalgic drama that many do...people at those forums were complaining about everything,,,even those bad looking videos??? I rather look at the new one but to each their own I guess,

To be honest the game was playable for me and never had any major issues...
They learned their lesson and even though I haven't played BG2 EE their launch was much much better than the first one.

Now the strange thing about Trent holding those domains with the name NWN HD and none with NWN EE is on my opinion because maybe he likes put better textures and maybe some more Poly's to those models...I'll be frank even in 2002 NWN looked ugly I don't think if they ever put their hands into Aurora is to do something invasive to the code...but hey I could be wrong!

Worse case scenario the the screw up but the regular one still works right?

BTW the new patch for BG1 EE came live recently and most of the bugs are already gone

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:12 am

I'd quite frankly be happy with someone being ambitious enough to create new models for all the PC toons and outfits that could be placed in override, along with the already existing NWNCQ textures and the monster textures. That's HD enough for me. And it gives those who can't handle the polygons the option of not using it.

Mindcraft

Post by Mindcraft » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:44 am

Even people with relatively solid machines (I count myself among them) still are restricted by the limits of the Aurora Engine. Don't get me wrong, the NWN engine is, by far, one of the best engines ever. The "problem" is, it's old and not made for performances today's machines are trimmed to. An optimized engine would do much good for the looks of the game....
A bird sings not because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:49 am

Idk how this works but would it be possible for vanilla NWN and NWNHD play together?

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:22 pm

rat0a wrote:Artos, have you actually played the BGEE?
Yes, all the way to the end! I thought the new NPCs they added didn't fit in at all, and most of the things that were added were things the community modders had done years previously. And yes, I am stained by nostalgia when I play these games, BG1 was in fact the reason I bought my first computer ever, and never went back to console gaming. But still, I see the "EE" experience as just a collection of haks, essentially.

The solution to what people are asking for here (more models! more outfits! more everything!) is simply just a hak. Though we sometimes talk about how cool certain haks are, and what we could then do if we did include haks, there's also a certain sense of pride that we've come this far without them. Additionally, adding any haks would be a headache on our end as well, having to integrate the content backwards into the module.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:48 pm

I hope my gut is wrong, but that part of me believes that it won't include the toolset and just the bioware campaigns and maybe the premium modules.

Though if it does include the toolset and looks to support PW, at least as much as the original NWN does. I'll likely purchase it just to show my support of games of that type.

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Well for now is just a rumor so we might never see the HD happening, probably because is quite complicated, maybe because they have a MMO with the same name or "ATARI WOTC" getting in their way, they already let those NWN HD domains go.

The reason I play here is because I don't have to use those Hak's,
I know how to install those things but to be honest many of those GFX Haks looks amateurish to me
and they will add a layer of problem to some players

I like how Arelith is, a Plug and play without the hassle installing Haks to make it happen!!!

Reason on why I like the EE of their games,,,,I do have the original versions as well but to play the originals in 2014 is too much of a hassle even if it only takes 15 mins and I assure you is going to be more than 15 mins, been there done that already

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:26 pm

They have a higher-resolution, more optimized aurora engine. It was used for nwn2. If only nwn2 were backward compatible with nwn. Alas, it's not. And I have my doubts that a nwnhd would end up including the multiplayer support, even if it happened.