Guildhouses - A New Approach

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Sazu

Re: Guildhouses - A New Approach

Post by Sazu » Tue May 26, 2015 6:06 am

Alright, my suggestion:

When the guildhouse owner buys his guildhouse, he must have at the least two other people who must cosign for the guildhouse. The sign could allow for two(or more) cosigners and only until those other two(or more) cosign is the guildhouse anything but a public space for anyone to enter. As well they must pay a very high first time buying price.

The cosigners and the owner themselves cannot own any property(as per the one house rule). So the whole 'you can have a guildhouse and a house' will no longer exist. This is the price to be paid for having a guildhouse. You either live in the guildhouse or you live elsewhere. However, storage spaces(such as in the Bank of Andunor) do not apply, and members may live in a guildhouse and buy a storage box.

There will be signs at the doors to each room in a guildhouse. Instead of paying rent for each room, the rooms will be free of charge, only allowing someone to take ownership. The full rent will be paid by the owner and will be exorbitant, this will mean the owner must rely on others to help pay the full rent. Also, each different occupant to each room will lower the rent(promoting invitation into the guild). Each sign will grant a key or keys with which the owner of the room can allow others in or none at all.

One storage will be in the main room(presumably the owner's room). Another storage will be in the common area. There will be no storage in any other rooms.

The Guildhouse becomes free unless the Owner and two or more cosigners log in and actually click on the sign in front of the Guildhouse. One option for the sign will be to renew their contract. That option will not be available for anyone who has not logged in for more than five hours per real life month(more than enough time for anyone regardless of vacations and such). Any amount of persons can be a cosigner, but lose the ability to buy property elsewhere for it(which means you can't just grab anyone to be a cosigner, and not all of them will even want to lose their ability to get their own place just so you can have yours). Also the sign will recognize CD keys. No player can roll up three characters under three player names and make their own guild and get a guildhouse.

Guildhouses in settlements will still be relegated by settlement leaders. In this way they can lose their home if too overtly against the settlement, but only those in the settlement proper. The Cordor sewer guildhouse and nefarious others will not be affected by such.

NO guildhouse shall be specific to alignment or any deity or anything else. All of them will be almost like blank canvases for the players to mold themselves. They will have some hints to their location though(ie a guildhouse in the devil's table will have illithid or drow furniture). The tilesets should give clue to the location as well. If nothing else the smallest of telltale signs.

I picked only two cosigners required because three is easy enough to come by without putting out lone players looking to start a faction.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue May 26, 2015 6:35 am

KregorRanger wrote: Democracy is far too highly overrated in this server, and it doesn't always apply to groups in a fantasy setting, not even Forgotten Realms.
This is quite right.

While in some settlements may be ok, could be even better if there may be different political options to run a settlement (as guilds too)

Democracy is overrated because is the (supposed) system we have right now (IRL), and because seems the right one, but darn, I agree with Kregor, is boring, repetitive, breaks diversity and breaks FR cannon.

The ideal thing may be (I believe hard to encode) to allow different political systems to rule the settlements and guilds.

Like when a leader is chosen (by any means of the previous system) or when there is power emptiness, then one may claim the control on the settlement and instauration through the available options given by the Settlement Flag / Scribe / whatever, to change the system.

Tyranny/Monarchy, Democracy, Aristocracy/Feudalism...Some system that allowed flexibility and different options.
~~~ oOo ~~~
Regarding the Guilds...

May be net is there may be different guild options too:

1. Guilds as how are now, (without a guild-house) but flexible. Allow Guild policy to be internal and flow through RP, unsupported by forced ratings that limit the RP.

2. In the settings display, each guild can decide what system have (autocratic or democratic), or leave that to pure RP.

3. Guild-houses:

3.1. Requirements to purchase a guild house:

Minimum number of members:- The guild that wants to rent the guild must have X number of active members.
- If the guild loses members below the requirement acquisition / income, the guild house will be released and available to any guild that meets the requirements.

Member activity:- After 1 month of inactivity, a character disappears from the lists of the guild.

Accessibility:- The guild house have two areas: A public, open to RP with non-members, and one private only accessible to members or sneaking people who may bypass the security.

Cost of rent and maintenance:- The guild-house will rent and a high upkeep, payable by the leader or representative. In the same sense as whas suggested before.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Tue May 26, 2015 11:11 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Mithreas wrote:I don't see any posts recommending an alternative solution to the problem. Are there any alternatives out there? This is a brainstorming thread, brainstorm away ;)
Allow the guildhall owner to set security permissions (Public/Private) for each individual lockable door in the guildhouse (if this isn't already a thing).

Apply a discount on the guildhall's rent for the guildhall owner based on how many doors are set to public. Discount to the guild owner can in turn become a discount to renters.

This encourages a mix of public and private space in guilds (unless it just grossly doesn't make sense for that guild, and then people might ask- "what do you suppose goes on over there, behind locked doors, that the rest of us aren't allowed to see?")

The public space can be spruced and themed up, and the discount can be explained as a break the city gives for encouraging locals to mingle and interact in different venues, as well as providing attractions for travelers to see.

Making some of the space public also gives people the chance to interact and mingle with their prospective faction of choice prior to joining them in a faction-centric location- and any storage chests in "Public Quarters" effectively become faction-sanctioned charity, which also makes that faction look good- and can create some interesting avenues for lots of RP- conflict-based or otherwise.

Everyone wins- but it's probably a decent chunk of work to add parameters to each of those doors if they aren't already there, so I don't know how viable the idea actually is.

Minor edits for readability.
I like this a lot. Any system should encourage and empower, rather than nerf and turn the present standard into a massive reward.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Tue May 26, 2015 4:48 pm

Well, I know my lacking suggestions is for a two-fold reason:

One, I have VERY limited knowledge of what's scriptable. Scripting is a vast, unexplored, scary world to me.

Two: I don't honestly believe there's ONE solution that will work, because I don't think any issues we have are caused by ONE thing. We have factions who quarterlog. We have factions who hang on after they die for any number of valid (or not) reasons. We have factions that are blocked legitimately IC.

But at the end of the day, no one thing will fix stuff past where it is now without causing at least its own weight in issues.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Silent Handshake

Post by Silent Handshake » Tue May 26, 2015 6:23 pm

Could make different kinds of guild houses with different purposes and uses.

Heres what i was thinking of:

MERCHANT GUILD - a open house with a number of shops inside and some rooms for the merchants. (or the existing merchantile buildings could become guilds) These guilds would pay to the city which they are connected to but the shops inside pays the "taxes" to the owner of the guild or to assigned faction account.

BANK GUILD - (just a thought that didnt come further)

TAVERN GUILD - open up taverns for ownership, like with the nomad (borrowing from bloodmoons suggestions(the more rooms taken by others the less the rent for the guild house is))

GENERIC GUILDHOUSE - these could be anything nothing big just maybe like the fox den and could have an extended quarter owner menu where they could set the lighting of the area to fit the given RP of the users, it could be set to lets say five different light settings like: Interior bright, interior cold, interior magical 1, interior normal and interior torch-lit only. could be applied to other things as well. They could even be allowed to set restrictions to those that can enter with race restrictions of the basic races: half-orc, elf, dwarf, halfling, human and gnome. class restrictions but core classes only. so a guild house would only let, half-orc clerics or halfling fighters inside, or only elves or only paladins however any and all with these traits would be able to enter the guild house without the need of a key.

MERCENARY GUILD - these would have a open public entry (like the one behind thoraminds) a number of rooms for the mercs themselves (borrowing from bloodmoons suggestions again(the more rooms taken by others the less the rent for the guild house is))

I'm not sure where the existing ones would fit in under all this but ill try
abyssal fortress - merchant house (access to both sides)
guild house behind thoraminds - merchant house
Hmm cant place the others really.

i think that was it for now, will try and come up with more later on maybe

Dinosaur Space Program

Post by Dinosaur Space Program » Tue May 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Yeah it is a twofold issue because many of us are not aware of what resources are available when it comes to the mechanics of guildhouses. I know I am Certainly one of those.With this in mind, what Isn't available or would created too much drag on the server.

The thing is, Most of the suggestions in this thread Could work. If nothing else because it shakes up the status quo and opens the door more.

I personally would like to avoid the pigeon holing of alignment/class/language, but the fact remains that in the past there has been a lot of camping guildhouses that make little sense for who has them as well. But for the sake of being innovative, let's give this a pass on people being sensible in the future.

I could go off into a Very long opinionated speel on democracy in FR and on Arelith and settlement mechanics... but that isn't what this thread is about. So going to stay on target.

I agree with Less guildhouses attached to settlements. More of what we have in neutral territory. And there are mechanics for making doors public or not already, but only on who has access to it, not who can buy it. I don't see it as being especially hard to code but I COULD BE WRONG. Terribly wrong.

Themed guildhouses on Function would be pretty great, no lie. However, some themed on religion (temples), and profession (like a thieves' guild), or location (Gotta have those spikes on that abyssal fortress) I believe are warranted. If we make all guildhouses flat palettes, we take a Lot of flavor out of the server's environment.

Sure, PCs can make fixtures and paint it up, but a Lot of environmental 'feel' is Dev inspired touches. I don't want to throw this out the window just because then Anyone could have it. The fact remains that location is going to dictate things just as much and it should be inspired by that.

I think the original design proposed by TRM and Irongron coupled with Aelryn's public/private door set up, the suggestion as well that guild owner cannot own Any other property (outside of a shop) so it actually is detrimental to some who hoard guildhouses to keep them, is a good start.

I further propose that the guildhouse has a hardcoded timeout of three RL months. At this point, someone else has to take it over. If the guild is active, it will be handed to one of the members and things will continue as planned. If there guild is dead by this time, then the owner needs to consider either recruiting, or passing it on or outright selling it.

Why three months? Because I've ran Several factions at this point (Lots of years, it happens!) and three months is the make or break point I have always seen in factions. It's usually when I always passed on leadership to someone else or it's thriving and no longer needs me. I haven't Killed a faction yet (famous last words), but three months is also the time I see some factions peter out hard and never recover.

First month: Yay! Let's go guys! Second month: Wow, we really need levels, let's grind guys! Third month: Only the leader and their best friend is left and they are discouraged and finally play a new character because upkeep on their stuff and what is needed to keep the faction going is too much for them.

If the faction is thriving and the guild leader doesn't want to step down? Then RP dictates they are still in charge but their second can hold it for the next three months while they don't own it. This also means if people are swapping back and forth just to hold onto it, there is a good chance they will miss it or overshoot the expiration. This is how a Lot of things go up. Just timing out.

If the guild is worried about it timing out and going up, they can give it to another member of the guild earlier to restart the 3 month timer. I also think that costs should be high, and take a sizable chunk of change to exchange earlier than the 3 month timer. So if someone really is just swapping with a buddy, they will be forced to be at least active enough to keep up money costs (the other reason things go up, lack of funds!).

For a well organized group that is active, this requirement will be a piece of cake. However, it is a deadline that is always hovering. Normal charges outside of this will of course still apply and make the guildhouse a substantial money sink with both quarters, overhead cost, and exchange rates.
“The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!”
-Larry Niven

Historical Character List (Updated 9/20/19)

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:53 pm

There's a lot here, and I've not had chance to read much of it - though I think I got some important points. So I'll just put down afew thoughts.

1) I like the idea o fopening up Guildhouses, esp reguards the basic quarters. Because whilst I'm very much in favour of groups having their own 'space' (esp controvertial groups) it is annoying to see some guildhouses be used basicaly as overlarge storage warehouses.

2) The balence, as I think Kuma touched on in an early post, is between something hard coaded (A Hard Coded You Need To Be a X Race/Alignment/Class) and something more... open? (e.g. You need to have a Lady's Tear Flower, or to solve a set of riddles). The first option is a little too restricitve imo (i'll go into that in a moment) the latter is perhaps a little too open, as people work out what the ansers/item/password is, and basicaly anyone in the know can have access.
For what it's worth however, I'd much rather see something a little -too- open than a little -too- closed. Which is to say - I'd rather have a guildhouse that's (to use a random example) flavoured for paladins, where Paladin's are encouraged to live, but evil -can- sneak it's way into, than a guildhouse where there's some sort of check that means none paladins can never enter. Such would a) Possibly be abused to inform alignment possibltiies b) Give too -much- safty and c) disempower any sort of conflict, given you'd be more likely to get characters of very similar mind sets.
Generaly speaking, if we look at 'open' class areas (E.g. Soulhaven, Grove, ect) we can see that the restrictions are generally kept and where they arn't... honestly I've never had my immersion horribly broken.
(Side note - I suppose one could put in a perform/bluff check in with some sort of class/race/whatever restriction to open it up, but that does kinda make Perform/Bluff very, very powerful, seeing as both also allow you to ignore exiles.)

3: So what are the drawbacks to the origional model described - Aka - a guildhouse where almost anyone can enter, except for one area which is accessable to members only? I'm putting these out as things to consider, not neccesarly as Reasons to Say No. Because I actualy quite like the idea, over all.
a) Less 'fixture safty'. Or certainly more cramping of fixtures. Definate problem for more shady guilds, but it is such an issue generaly? I'm not sure. Say goodbye to your spawling evil labs, or your secretive temples as some goons from one team or another go 'I r can make rp by smashin' everything 'cos that r good rp.! *smash smash smash*
b) Less secresy perhaps? I'm not so sure. For private conversations guild members can still retire to private rooms/private room. This is fine, but I means that the whole 'it will open up rp' argument is a bit invalid. Honestly though, unless one removes quarters entirely from the server (dear lord don't do that) then there's no way of solving this.
c) Less safty. Far more ease of opposing factions simply rolling on in. But again -this may not be such an issue. There's always the option of hopping into a locked quarter.
d) Less controle. There is a higher chance of, say, a Tormite moving into the Temple of Bane. Which would I admit be odd. But I can think of worse crimes. If we look at other flavoured areas (Bendir (halflings) Grove (druids) Soulhaven (monks) Brogenstein (dwarves et al) we can see that the restrictions are, for the most part, basicaly kept without any mechanical intervention. I think flavoured guildhouses would (except in exceptional cases) be kept mostly the same too. And where there's heavy abuse, then the DM's can step in.
Over all I dont 'think these things are... too bad as options. Though they're not great. I'd suggest if there was a 'guild ara' as TRM suggested in their model, it should have a 'Guild Chest' in it. To allow a little extra strorge. But in general I dont' think Irongron's suggestion is awful by any means. Though it will mean less 'flavourful' guildhouse areas I think.

4: I agree that tying too many guildhouses to settlments is a bad idea. Especialy if we're tring to open them up so more people can live in them. That simply can give settlment leaders too much power. Guildhouses are good hubs for groups that go against the grain, groups that make conflict, and settlments don't always want conflict because conflict can lead to war.

5: I like some of the rent ideas put around. I am, however... rather uncertain about giving all guildhouse owners the ability to evict tennants. Not for all guildhouses anyway. Not a terrible idea, but I'd worry it might end up with very clique groups having half empty guildhouses as the owners just evict those they don't like constantly, leading to vast amounts of empty rooms (For an example - see Benwick. There was arule there that unless you talked to a councellor before purchasing a home, you got evicted. This basicaly meant that some of the very nicest houses in ARelith went vacent for rl months on end, because the councellors would simply evict those they weren't sure of)
Maybe having some sort of system like that for some of the guildhouses - but not all.

6: Another option put forth is that a certain amount of activity (a certain amount of rooms being in use, a certain amount of faction use of rooms, various things have been suggested) would keep a guildhouse in 'ownership'. In general I like this. I think it's a nice inbetween that encourages people to go in and out, and keep the place used. It wold also work well. Having a high amount of gold imput is also not a bad idea - though keep in mind it's not that hard to save up a huge amount of gol dif you know how to. I have had a character with ten million in the bank, and an ability to earn large amounts per day. Still - I mostly am nitpicking.

7: Whatever change is put in, there are going to be flaws. But it would be nice to see some of the large amounts of guildhouses being -used-. I will attest, from my own experience, that places like Sencliff, The Arcane tower, and so forth are often full of people and active factions. Often benefting highly by their placement. But that said - I also recognise that it's frustrating to see other guildhouses being used as over large storage areas. Another good example is the Cordor Guard House, where the barracs are used as just store houses mostly, which is more than a bit of a shame. One final matter? Dependent on the modle used - I'd actualy say a month is -too- much on the time out. I'd actualy suggest someting like two to three weeks max. If you're going to be away for more than a fortnight, then pass the ownership onto another character. Yes you have to swap keys out, but there are worse things.

I'm sorry I've not got much more constructive to say. I like a lot of the ideas put about, so there's really not much more to add. Cool stuff.

EDIT: Ok so - this is perhaps a really dumb idea, but I'ven ot seen it put up, and I feel I should give -some- other suggestion to add to the morass...
What about simply loweirng the max lock DC Strength/picking/Traps of guildhouses? Not the quarters in them, but this makes them a little easier to enter and encourages guild owners not to use them as storage spaces. Because at the end of the day, an unowned chest is fine to plunder in it's entirity, last I checked (though it may be considered bad form to do so) Thus it's in the interest of Guild Owners to make sure that as many rooms as possible are full.
Heck, maybe tie the amount of max lock Str/Picking/Traps possible to the amount of quarters owned within? The more folk you encourage to live in your castle, the more secure it is? Just throwing out an idea.

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Tue May 26, 2015 8:10 pm

My concern is that this thread is starting to tie the faction system, and trying to overhaul it, too closely to the guildhall housing system. We really need to stop this particular train's direction because:

Not all factions tie themselves to a guildhall, or need to.

Not all factions are run democratically.

Not all guildhall usage is going to be tied to a politically active faction. There's plenty of other ways to impact a server than ballot stuffing.

I for one would be highly discouraged from starting and running another faction, again, if there's an election mechanic tied to faction leadership, or they are reduced to cookie cutter groups that "fit" into a guild area, or I am forced to model it a certain way. Or I am prohibited from creating and/or joining more than one faction at once. That's not what this server is about. It's about creatively impacting the populace as a whole to make it fun for everyone. That can be done with a democratic, absolutist, anarchic, or whatever form of group your faction takes.

The topic was how to rejuvenate guildhall usage, not strap down faction building. The faction system as it is is just fine. We don't need to touch it, or add complications to it.

Improvements
Doing things the other way around, and allowing the ability to tie a guildhall -to- the currently functioning faction system is an improvement, possibly the best improvement you could make:

Allow the locks to be tied to faction membership. You want the halls to be more functional and utilized? Make it to where we aren't required to give a key to every single faction member! Think about it this way — faction members induct a new member into the faction (your second in command, etc) but they have no way to make the key for the guild house. If you're in a situation where I have been before, where my time is limited, but an active hierarchy is actively recruiting and running the faction, how do they give access to the new member? If I can tie a guildhall's entry to the membership roster, there's no need for this.

Granulate room access. Have certain doors able to be made accessible by rank. You want a super secret part of your hall that the young bucks can't get into until they move up the ranks.("Welcome to security level 2, recruit.") This would be the answer to that. Keep your floaty winged elves in test tubes away from the genteel young apprentice, 'til you're certain they can handle it.

GIve the option to tie rent for quarters/guildhalls/shops to faction accounts. Funding through the faction account rather than a personal account would solve a sad problem I had once where the owner of the property was gone on RL until their bank account went dry, and the quarter went up for sale. Had I had been able to cover it by adding to that faction's bank account, we could have continued to use it as a center of RP.

In short, give more control over the guildhall and its functions to the factions, -not- vice versa. Halls will be -used- more, -utilized- more, and be more versatile for customizing to any and all factions' style of play.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Tue May 26, 2015 9:08 pm

Morderon wrote:Change the rule for "1 guildhouse and 1 quater each" to "1 guildhouse or 1 quater.

Perhaps somehow give them a private storage chest not open to the rest of the guild. Or perhaps one of the quarters within automatically becomes property of the guildehall owner. Or maybe just giving up your own private personal storage is part of the cost of owning a guildhall.

Just to build on this some.

Area design:
All guild halls have a public access room
All quarters (except perhaps the one forced upon the guildhall owner) are accessible via the public room. Want faction-charity chest? Don't buy the room and just keep it open to the public.
All quarters have a backdoor to a corridor that eventually leads to a guildhall-locked door to the private area.
All quarter signs are within the quarter. This is to keep who owns them anonymous from the public.
There's another set of quarter signs within the guildmaster's forced quarter. This is so the guildmaster can know who owns the guildhall's room and can evict them.
Up to two storage chest, one shared in private area and one within the guildmaster's forced quarter.
Quarters may also have their own storage chest.

Other:
Guildhall quarters don't charge a monthly fee. Lock improvements/initial purchase price may still apply.
Instead of only a private/public toggle quarters can set the toggle to 'guildhall key'. This gives anyone with the guildhall key access to the room. Perhaps allow this to be set for un-owned quarters but they lose access to the storage chest.

Advanced:
Perhaps guildhalls can offer services. Each service may not be available within each guildhall. These services require a hefty charge and if the guild is by whatever the chosen method is decided to be inactive the services need to be repurchased. Or otherwise they require upkeep (crafting points).

Services can include:
Temple of Bane: Someway to quick travel back to a more civilized area.
Fountains of purification.
A merchant sign which displays what is being sold in all local shops, then for an advanced price what's being sold in 'trading with' settlements (that is if the guildhall is a settlement one), then for an advanced price the other settlements/non-settlement shops.
All the things that came up in that temple thread long ago.
More shared, private storage.
Self-growing plants.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue May 26, 2015 10:18 pm

I'd rather guildhouses be axed.

Is a guildhouse a necessity for factions to thrive/survive?

No. They aren't. They are a luxury space that can certainly help a guild grow, but can also stifle it incredibly. It is not a necessity, because there are guilds who own guildhouses and still fail. There are successful guilds who will never need a guildhouse.

Guildhouses should not be treated any different than a quarter. That's a part of the problem some of the discussion. They're essentially larger quarters. That's it.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Wed May 27, 2015 8:34 pm

Mithreas wrote: I don't see any posts recommending an alternative solution to the problem. Are there any alternatives out there? This is a brainstorming thread, brainstorm away ;)
O.o

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3393&start=25#p28217
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3401

it was even moved to the completed suggestions section...

I is confused...

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed May 27, 2015 9:20 pm

CragOrion wrote:I is confused...
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3393&start=50#p28383
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Wed May 27, 2015 11:53 pm

ack! you guys post too fast! i completely missed that!

:oops:

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu May 28, 2015 9:58 am

KregorRanger wrote:
Not all factions tie themselves to a guildhall, or need to.

Not all factions are run democratically.

Not all guildhall usage is going to be tied to a politically active faction. There's plenty of other ways to impact a server than ballot stuffing.

I for one would be highly discouraged from starting and running another faction, again, if there's an election mechanic tied to faction leadership, or they are reduced to cookie cutter groups that "fit" into a guild area, or I am forced to model it a certain way. Or I am prohibited from creating and/or joining more than one faction at once. That's not what this server is about. It's about creatively impacting the populace as a whole to make it fun for everyone. That can be done with a democratic, absolutist, anarchic, or whatever form of group your faction takes.

The topic was how to rejuvenate guildhall usage, not strap down faction building. The faction system as it is is just fine. We don't need to touch it, or add complications to it.

Improvements
Doing things the other way around, and allowing the ability to tie a guildhall -to- the currently functioning faction system is an improvement, possibly the best improvement you could make:

Allow the locks to be tied to faction membership. You want the halls to be more functional and utilized? Make it to where we aren't required to give a key to every single faction member! Think about it this way — faction members induct a new member into the faction (your second in command, etc) but they have no way to make the key for the guild house. If you're in a situation where I have been before, where my time is limited, but an active hierarchy is actively recruiting and running the faction, how do they give access to the new member? If I can tie a guildhall's entry to the membership roster, there's no need for this.

Granulate room access. Have certain doors able to be made accessible by rank. You want a super secret part of your hall that the young bucks can't get into until they move up the ranks.("Welcome to security level 2, recruit.") This would be the answer to that. Keep your floaty winged elves in test tubes away from the genteel young apprentice, 'til you're certain they can handle it.

GIve the option to tie rent for quarters/guildhalls/shops to faction accounts. Funding through the faction account rather than a personal account would solve a sad problem I had once where the owner of the property was gone on RL until their bank account went dry, and the quarter went up for sale. Had I had been able to cover it by adding to that faction's bank account, we could have continued to use it as a center of RP.

In short, give more control over the guildhall and its functions to the factions, -not- vice versa. Halls will be -used- more, -utilized- more, and be more versatile for customizing to any and all factions' style of play.
Yes, I completely agree with this. Guilds need to have flexibility to let the guild members have a fluent RP unconditioned by the mechanics.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Silent Handshake

Post by Silent Handshake » Fri May 29, 2015 10:36 am

Another suggestion:
First adding to my previous suggestion, Merchant guild houses - allow them to trade with other merchant guilds and towns (like towns do now)

make more but smaller guild houses, people want those that we have now and will get annoyed if others hold it just a day too long. so what about making some of the already existing houses into guild houses and add some in "random places" that way more people would be able to have the same type of guild RP as those that may keep the others a day too long.

Also maybe closing temple of talona so that could become a cool place to "live" as it is now i dont think many if any visits the place. but it could become a cool guild house/temple guild.

that was just a few more.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Fri May 29, 2015 12:26 pm

My suggestion has two simple rules:

:arrow: Tie Guildhouse ownership with number of quarters per faction in said Guildhouse. The Faction owning more quarters effectively owns the Guildhouse and dictates the rules.
:arrow: Introduce a regular bidding war (much like the Sharps and Devil's have) on each quarter.

-This rewards factions with more members.

-This rewards factions who are more active, put more effort into organizing themselves, and opens a way for RP politics and bluffs between different factions in the same Guildhouse. And serves as a gold sink.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri May 29, 2015 1:02 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:My suggestion has two simple rules:

:arrow: Tie Guildhouse ownership with number of quarters per faction in said Guildhouse. The Faction owning more quarters effectively owns the Guildhouse and dictates the rules.
:arrow: Introduce a regular bidding war (much like the Sharps and Devil's have) on each quarter.

-This rewards factions who are more active, put more effort into organizing themselves, and opens a way for RP politics and bluffs between different factions in the same Guildhouse. And serves as a gold sink.
This may turn factions in a mechanical thing, killing and replacing all RP management.

Thank you

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Fri May 29, 2015 1:24 pm

The Man of the Moon wrote:
Shadowy Reality wrote:My suggestion has two simple rules:

This may turn factions in a mechanical thing, killing and replacing all RP management.
This doesn't change the way Factions work, it changes the way Guildhouse ownership works. And it's not much different than it is currently. Currently the owner of a Guildhouse is the one who mechanically owns the quarter, it's a mechanical thing as well. My suggestion just makes it fairer.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Fri May 29, 2015 1:30 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:This doesn't change the way Factions work, it changes the way Guildhouse ownership works. And it's not much different than it is currently. Currently the owner of a Guildhouse is the one who mechanically owns the quarter, it's a mechanical thing as well. My suggestion just makes it fairer.
This suggestion gives power to the rich able to dump tons of cash around. Which I guess makes sense but no thanks.

Also doesn't make sense since I doubt any non-settlement-based guildhouse would logically have an organised bidding system. No way to have it make sense from an IC perspective. It was written into the plot of Andunor and thus is sensible there, but can't be shoehorned topside.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Silent Handshake

Post by Silent Handshake » Sun May 31, 2015 11:24 am

I was thinking.. again.. yes its possible.

Irongron you were talking about opening op guild houses, but for that why not introduce new buildings like the assassin guild thing there has been talk about, though make few more for certain types of play where you may be part of the faction but they might not be with the same view or stand points as yourself and so on. This I think would make exactly what you spoke about without changing the current guild houses.

if you no longer want/need ideas let it be known, else I will keep posting small ideas for it :o

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:34 am

Instead change all the current guild-builds...

May it be created a prototype guild once decided the new system, and add just one so to check how good/bad it may work and gather all ther reports along X real months? This may be a testing guild so to allow the addition to be only replaced to all the other guild-builds once were polished.

Thank you