Suggestion Discussion: Disable Artefacts

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

CragOneEye

Re: Suggestion Discussion: Disable Artefacts

Post by CragOneEye » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:29 am

Scurvy Cur wrote:
grip wrote:
grip wrote:-Why are they spelled Artefacts and not Artifacts? (Not important at all, I just don't know.)
I wish I knew. And sincerely wish they were spelled properly too.
Coreybush11 wrote:artefact = British
artifact = American

from the Latin "arte" and "facta" meaning "with skill" and "having been made" generally
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:11 pm

Lorkas wrote:
Cortex wrote:What stats are you refering to, Lorkas/Jedi?
Weaponmasters with saves in the 30s, 58 AC, AB in the 50s, and damage of over 250 a crit. (Actual character currently, which has 32 SR atop that.)
250 damage crit - doable with 4x crits if you can do a 62.5 noncrit, but that probably can't be done without 2 handed weapons (not counting damage sources not multiplied on a crit, and not counting smite)

58 AC - definitely doable with a tower shield and IE, but probably not while also being able to crit 250

50s AB - sure, but not in IE mode so that you maintain 58 AC

Buffed by allies it's more feasible, but I'm still suspicious that this exists without some special conditions like being a dragon.
Yes, I almost laugh when I saw those stats as well.

Kira can do the same AC if she goes heavy plate, tower shield, IE and no wards, I like to keep her as a light figter for RPing purposes with her 8 coins leather armor and large shield, granted she is a Kensai and like you said her AB will be affected by doing so

To get something like that with Artefacts you have to be extremely lucky and grind your way to them for a long long time to get the perfect gear if ever.

And let's not forget STAT CAP on the Abilities department with magic items at least with Fighters
One of my WM hIt it way before I can reach 34+12 because of her enchated simple items and a potion
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:33 pm

DestroyerOTN wrote:The problem with artifacts is that they impose an artificially 'mixed' magic cap on the server.
How is that a proble? I like thinking that the most powerful item on the server might well not exist yet, and may end up in anyone's lucky hands. And that, one day, even that will be surpassed.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Kuma wrote:
DestroyerOTN wrote:The problem with artifacts is that they impose an artificially 'mixed' magic cap on the server.
How is that a proble? I like thinking that the most powerful item on the server might well not exist yet, and may end up in anyone's lucky hands. And that, one day, even that will be surpassed.
Wizards. They're inquisitive. They like pushing boundaries, IMO. Never settle for "probably the best I can do"
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Ace04191999

Post by Ace04191999 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:17 pm

Destroyer had those stats and DPS wrong. Knowing this character's player both IG and OOCly, and I have tanked for him on two different characters, I can say he doesnt have 58 AC, likely 34ish. Crits for 150-170(buffed/sneaks), but the saves are 30s+ with SR on it.
"Summon Nerd exists, it's just called -yoink. :P"
Mithreas, 2015

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:44 pm

Ace04191999 wrote:Destroyer had those stats and DPS wrong. Knowing this character's player both IG and OOCly, and I have tanked for him on two different characters, I can say he doesnt have 58 AC, likely 34ish. Crits for 150-170(buffed/sneaks), but the saves are 30s+ with SR on it.
Dang I was off! Nnngh. Thanks for correcting, Ace!

Herpderp.

Point stands. That level of saves with SR? Pretty silly.
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

Silent Handshake

Post by Silent Handshake » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:05 am

would be nice to see that to get the artifacts you would need a good "rogue" instead of the normal destroy shrine thing to get the artifact. (if this no longer is the case then dont mind me)

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:04 am

Silent Handshake wrote:would be nice to see that to get the artifacts you would need a good "rogue" instead of the normal destroy shrine thing to get the artifact. (if this no longer is the case then dont mind me)
Wasn't as of like two weekends ago. Gonne is still the preferred method for popping one open.

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:36 am

Silent Handshake wrote:would be nice to see that to get the artifacts you would need a good "rogue" instead of the normal destroy shrine thing to get the artifact. (if this no longer is the case then dont mind me)
Reason on why my rouge went on many of the trips, I wasn't aware that you could destroy the shrine till recently.

If the other player knew at the time that one could do it that way he will have it done solo for sure.
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:55 am

Kuma wrote:
Maybe!

Here's hoping on those Fear Immune, Freedom, +4 AC, +4 Three stat boots
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Barradoor » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:00 am

DestroyerOTN wrote:
Kuma wrote:
Maybe!

Here's hoping on those Fear Immune, Freedom, +4 AC, +4 Three stat boots
You can't get fear immune or freedom on boots.
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

furryn

Post by furryn » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:04 am

I must admit that i used to be so happy about the 5% staff i had on one of my characters.

Then just the other day, i come across (in a PC shop) a short sword that grants immunity to fear. and i think to myself: For this char, that shortsword would be a better weapon than anything else i could get. Why would i ever spend so much gold doing enchanting again?

And while i get that artefacts are rare, and so on, they also exist, and i think that unless something is done about enchanting, it's bad for the balance of the server. That said, i can't help but wonder what could be added to enchanting that wouldn't be a slippery slope in regards to the powerlevel (i mean, it shouldn't surpass ninethousand after all, we'll just upset someone.)

I liked this.
CragOrion wrote:
Izaich wrote:A few quick ideas:

Add negative traits to the pool of random stats. This increases unpredictability on what you might find, and opens up the idea of 'cursed' items. This can be elaborated upon by allowing enchanters the ability to remove these negative traits.

Allow enchanters the ability to re-roll the traits of an artifact, provided they have the necessary resources.
This is golden.
as well as Irongrons ideas, i just think this needs to be done carefully.

Also, there should be some way of renaming/redescribing artefacts. I prefer powerful items to have a good description, short or long, something about it's creation, it's looks or some such to give it some flavour.
- The need to utter the words "I'm not stupid" implies the opposite.
How do i know? Well, obviously because I'm not stupid.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:07 pm

5% items are well and good, but any adventurer worth his salt would LOVE to find something rare and wonderful and legendary as they journey into some dangerous place filled with all manner of things trying to eat them. Balance-wise? They do little, besides allow mundanes to get a smidge closer to what casters are capable of from about 1/3 of the way through their level progression.

How artifacts are found is something I would prefer to see tweaked (meaning, I want to see a timer set that mechanically forces one who has found an artifact in the past 7 RL days to not be able to find another one, even if it is one of the "lemons"), but removal would only strip the server of one of its interesting traits.

WhereButterfliesGoToDie

Post by WhereButterfliesGoToDie » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:03 pm

I personally loved the addition of artefacts, until I came across a few of them that literally trivialize entire sets of gear, and by default makes a character far stronger than his peers, for no other reason than sheer luck.

Example being that, I've seen artefacts with a +4 to Dodge AC, +4 to stat, +4 to stat. That's basically a character that can slam universal saves on half of his gear without loosing his softcap and still score higher AC than his counterparts.

That's not me whining about not having such items. My characters have probably came across and weilded some of the most powerful artefacts in circulation from time to time, but how frequent they're starting to become in certain communities is abit troubling to the vague concept of server balance, which is a thing innately impossible to uphold I'd imagine, but still.

Or I might just be salty about artefacts trivializing clever building and dedicated enchanting by adding a randomized factor that can either diminish or overtune both, who knows. x)

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:57 pm

WhereButterfliesGoToDie wrote: Example being that, I've seen artefacts with a +4 to Dodge AC, +4 to stat, +4 to stat.
I find that to be awesome, actually. The best I have seen or heard about was a +4 full plate with +4 con or strength, cannot remember which. But sadly, most of the artifacts are not useful at all, which is a very good balance. I have only been on one artifact hunt myself and we found after a few hours of a long, dangerous dungeon...boots made for gnomes only. No other bonuses heh.

But regardless of the abysmal chances of doing so, actually being able to possibly find something good/epic/legendary in a dungeon (the draw of every adventurer) is how it should be for an RP adventure based server as Arelith is.