Death of a Laptop

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Death of a Laptop

Post by Irongron » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:35 am

After countless hours of good service to the Arelith community my laptop finally died yesterday.

It took many hours of struggle, but I managed to save all the Arelith modules and the areas currently in development.

Already ordered a new one from the UK which should be with me tomorrow, but that still lleaves locating the NWN discs, getting them to work on a new machine, and finding somewhere to make the critical rebuild. There is a chance I wont be able to locate the discs and cd keys, so that could be the cause of further delay.

Never really very good and choosing computers, but went with a machine from Gigabyte owing to their good reviews. Currently using a macbook with a broken delete key salvaged from the computer graveyard that is my cellar.

All of this course means that I am out of action for the time being, and also not on skype. Hoping for the best and a swift return. In the meantime the bugs and other small updates will have to wait...

Cortex

Re: Death of a Laptop

Post by Cortex » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:46 am

Quick, exploit all da bugs
:)

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:57 am

I fixed an area bug this morning. Irongron being away isn't gonna save them :)
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:05 am

I think you can just copy your entire old NWN folder to your new machine and it should work. At least I understood people could run NWN directly from USB, so this should work as well. Perhaps you can even try to copy to USB and run NWN on your temporary machine from there.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:21 am

Well this computer a mac, very old and with no delete key or usb mouse, so I wont be getting NwN on here.

I do have a semi-decent desktop in many pieces in the cellar. It already has NWN installed, but I am in no mood to put it together and being cellar bound for Arelith work.

Ill keep it as an emergency option if NWN has problems on the new machine.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:11 am

This is a very good time for you to start designing some new cellar oriented areas in your head *nods*

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:58 am

Irongron wrote:Well this computer a mac, very old and with no delete key or usb mouse, so I wont be getting NwN on here.

I do have a semi-decent desktop in many pieces in the cellar. It already has NWN installed, but I am in no mood to put it together and being cellar bound for Arelith work.

*Is a Mac user* How old are we talking about here Irongon? I have a fifteen year old mac in my living room that has NWN backed up on it incase my lap top which is the Mac I am using now dies.

I might be able to give you suggestions in fixing your problem if I know what model of machine exactly you're using and version of Mac OS you're using.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

furryn

Post by furryn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Irongron wrote:After countless hours of good service to the Arelith community my laptop finally died yesterday.

It took many hours of struggle, but I managed to save all the Arelith modules and the areas currently in development.

Already ordered a new one from the UK which should be with me tomorrow, but that still lleaves locating the NWN discs, getting them to work on a new machine, and finding somewhere to make the critical rebuild. There is a chance I wont be able to locate the discs and cd keys, so that could be the cause of further delay.

Never really very good and choosing computers, but went with a machine from Gigabyte owing to their good reviews. Currently using a macbook with a broken delete key salvaged from the computer graveyard that is my cellar.

All of this course means that I am out of action for the time being, and also not on skype. Hoping for the best and a swift return. In the meantime the bugs and other small updates will have to wait...
If lacking the discs, consider getting it on http://www.gog.com it's usually cheap, and swiftly installed (depending on your interwebz speed of course)
- The need to utter the words "I'm not stupid" implies the opposite.
How do i know? Well, obviously because I'm not stupid.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:49 pm

furryn wrote:
Irongron wrote:After countless hours of good service to the Arelith community my laptop finally died yesterday.

If lacking the discs, consider getting it on http://www.gog.com it's usually cheap, and swiftly installed (depending on your interwebz speed of course)
Doesn't work on Mac unles it's one of the "newer" Macs, given GOG is only compatible with Windows platform, especially for NWN, I however do have a Mac version of NWN installed on my ancient Mac comp.

furryn

Post by furryn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:54 pm

CragOneEye wrote:
furryn wrote:

Doesn't work on Mac unles it's one of the "newer" Macs
Irongron wrote:Never really very good and choosing computers, but went with a machine from Gigabyte owing to their good reviews.
Gigabyte doesn't make Macs, Apple does, which is why i assume it's a windows machine, and state GoG as an easy way of getting hold of game files, if the discs won't work.

Also:
Irongron wrote:Well this computer a mac, very old and with no delete key or usb mouse, so I wont be getting NwN on here.
So i didn't count the old one as a candidate. I have no experience with NwN on Mac

:)
- The need to utter the words "I'm not stupid" implies the opposite.
How do i know? Well, obviously because I'm not stupid.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:02 pm

I meant I might be able to help get it set up on his current machine as a temp solution :P, while he waits for the arrival of his new one.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Im sure this mac could run NWN no problem, but I dont want to buy a mac Nwn for that purpose, and not having a delete key is a pain. Hence all these tyops...um typos.

New machine is windows, and if its true about just needing to copy my nwn folder then I should be active again very soon.

DreamOfCream

Post by DreamOfCream » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:28 pm

I play the PC game version on a mac using a wineskin. It works well. If you want it, I could send it to you. But without a delete key, like you said it may be more trouble than it is worth.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Right but if the mac you have is "new" enough (no idea how new or old it is) you could just run boot camp install windows on to it and then just transfer the files window side. If it's -too- old, for that, I might be able to see about copying my version of NWN as a zip file and could send it to you minus my CD keys and then all you would have to do is enter your own CD keys.

Again both of these would only be temp solutions until you get your new window's machine, but if you find is too much hassle to do either, then I'd wait. (As I have no idea how long it'll take for your new comp to be shipped to you).

Dinosaur Space Program

Post by Dinosaur Space Program » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:52 am

I can confirm that you can just copy the folder and bam, you're in business. I do this constantly when switching computers or my current game bugs out for some reason. I keep a back up on an external drive with all my settings and everything.
“The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!”
-Larry Niven

Historical Character List (Updated 9/20/19)

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:12 am

If you need new serials and/or a GOG copy, I have an extra copy that I haven't redeemed yet.

Beep boop.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:06 am

Dinosaur Space Program wrote:I can confirm that you can just copy the folder and bam, you're in business. I do this constantly when switching computers or my current game bugs out for some reason. I keep a back up on an external drive with all my settings and everything.

Yeah NWN is an old-type game which doesn't need any fancy integration with the operating system.

You can even copy Your NWN onto a USB stick and just run it from Your USB dongle without any issues (I play it like that, on Windows, not sure if it would work like this on Linux or Mac versions).

NWN defaults its variables to the folder from which it is run so there are no issues with screenshots/logs/configurations.

Gods.. You have to love those old games for their robustness

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Well I feel a bit foolish now. What I imagined as a week of waiting for a new machine, and serious effort in finding and installing game, not to mention making it work on new computer, turned out to be anything but.

New computer arrived from the UK within 24 hours, and dragged the NWN folder to new machine.

All works just fine, save for NWN being very dark, and choosing a high resolution just makes it appear in one corner of the screen.

Anyway, back in business. Perhaps even the toolset will stop crashing for me now.

Swirling Stars

Post by Swirling Stars » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:20 pm

GG, Irongron's old laptop, GG.

Glad you've got everything back in order and everything's alright!
"he gotted his scimater ready to do the smite. he stood up and praysed to worm to make strong and torm say 'okay Hal Whitestriker now you are stronger :^)'" - Heavy Breathing
10/10

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:34 pm

YAY!!

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Strong ^^

Silent Handshake

Post by Silent Handshake » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:44 am

if you come get it Irongron then i have two laptops and a tower you can have for free.. :P