OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

God In Action

Re: Warlocks

Post by God In Action » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Hamatreya wrote:
Preacher wrote:
God In Action wrote:pleasedeargodDevsreaswarlockguildhouse
in theory we have a house that would work amazingly but its a bit hard to get to and we would have to take it from whoever has it. its in the abyss. lol
That's rather specific to Abyssal warlocks, though. I don't imagine my own feypact warlock, who rather appreciates subtlety, will want to live in a burning fortress.

Also, let's stop asking devs for things when they've already given us this amazing reconstruction, for free. Beggars, choosers, etc.
letterscrammedtogetherindicatesexcitement

Seriously, just because people suggest new ideas, additions or revisions doesn't mean they aren't appreciative. The new update is seriously cool. I think the suggestions show just how inspired and interested in new possibilities the update has made them- a sign of the update's success.

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:21 am

God In Action wrote: letterscrammedtogetherindicatesexcitement

Seriously, just because people suggest new ideas, additions or revisions doesn't mean they aren't appreciative. The new update is seriously cool. I think the suggestions show just how inspired and interested in new possibilities the update has made them- a sign of the update's success.
+1

Exactly :)
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

Hamatreya

Post by Hamatreya » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:06 am

God In Action wrote:
letterscrammedtogetherindicatesexcitement

No one is protesting revisions and suggestions made that pertain to the Warlock class. Requests for new super special guildhouses, however, are irrelevant to the discussion. (Edit: that's what I was referring to, though I wasn't clear. Sorry.)

My final verdict as a player on the new incarnation of the warlock class:

I've only played Vals to level six, but I've enjoyed it immensely. The spell-and-eldritch-blast integration is seamless, as is everything else. I've since been convinced by the others in this thread that DCs aren't in need of modification after all, and would actually protest their modification.

That being said, I would like to see Greater Dispelling given a -5 SR debuff, but that's just me. I'm also of the opinion that Feylocks should get see invisibility (which would be mechanically, functionally and thematically appropriate), as Fiendlocks get ultravision. Other than that, I really can't think of anything to complain about.

I'm glad to be part of a community with such a devoted dev team. :)
Plays as: Vals Nerys

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:12 pm

Hrm, well Ive read all the arguments, but I would still make the case; bring back Dominate Monster as capstone for Fey Pact. I've tinkered with the new warlocks at mid level and epic level on both sides.

Despite all the talk about how haste is a game-changer, we are talking about two blasts a round to one target at a roughly 25% damage increase per blast. Yet, my old warlock could blast every enemy on the screen. By the numbers, in almost all PvE situations, this is a down-grade. Similarly, my old warlock applied status effects to all those enemies, while healing all allies. So, to say the new is better...well, agree to disagree I suppose.

I think my comments about unlimited castings were also misunderstood. As before, with /wands/ a clever warlock in the past could disappear whenever they chose, or haste whenever needed. [Note: even Abyssal type still can do this, if they feel like spending a bit of gold/rp'ing] Thus, this ability seems slightly underwhelming to those of us who were doing it before, especially at the cost of all eldritch blast variants, most of our spell choices, and the capstone power of dominate monster.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:36 pm

Aside from the 6th summon creature (upon which the effect is stated), what happens to warlocks with greater conjuration?
Couldn't find this elsewhere.

Bragnir

Post by Bragnir » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Well, improved summons all around from the normal conjuration, and higher DC on grease?

Also, can anyone who has it tell us how strong this new Balor Lord is?

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Yellena wrote:Regarding new balor doubts:

Gate Good/Evil summons have a hide with:
SR 32
DR 30/+3
Immunity: Poison, Disease, Paralyzation
Darkvision
True Seeing
Haste

As for Stats, they have:
STR: 23
DEX: 13
CON: 25
Attack Bonus: +30
Armor Class: 34
HP: 300

Weapon: Hellfire Whip (+5, +1d6 Negative, +1d6 Divine), 17~20/x2.

Feats:
Acid Resist: 20/-
Cold Resist: 20/-
Fire Resist: 40/-
Eletrical Resist: 40/-
Knockdown
Damage Vulnerability: Divine (50%)

I took the initiative to rename the "controlled" Balor from gate to Balor Lord as it's WAY stronger than normal balor. It was designed to be a short duration strong summon (except for BG, who have them aways on to reward high level investment).

New Balor > NWN Balor Lord
New Vrock =/= NWN Epic Vrock (at BG30 this one have up to 9 more AB, 220 more HP, way lower damage potential and lower AC) ==> The fight could be even

Bragnir

Post by Bragnir » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Isn't that for the controlled Balor, however? Mytheas' post after that said he changed that name back to Balor to make room for the Balor Lord.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Mithreas wrote:I renamed it back, to create space for the balor lord for Conj focused Warlocks :)
Don't know if it's live yet, but this implies that SF/GSF:Conjuration will affect Gate for Warlocks.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:26 pm

You mean affect summon creature 6 rather then gate, yes?

Oh and the status above are for the new warlock lvl 6 spell lord balor or the balor you get if you have improved conjure focus?
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:45 pm

Sure. That. I don't know. I'm just parotting Mith.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Hamatreya

Post by Hamatreya » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:50 pm

Summon Creature 6 summons the new blackguard balor, which is very potent. Summon Creature 6 + Greater Conjuration Focus summons a balor lord, which is even moreso. I think Yellena disabled the need for you to have protection from alignment up, however, so I'm fairly certain you can't spam them like before.
Plays as: Vals Nerys

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:22 am

The need for PfA was specific to Gate. Since it's working from a different spell, it shouldn't be necessary.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:31 am

I take back every bad thing I ever said about Balagarn's Iron Horn.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:45 am

One very important question is still unanswered:
Do warlocks still get awesome glowing eyes?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:16 am

Xarge VI wrote:One very important question is still unanswered:
Do warlocks still get awesome glowing eyes?
Yuuuup. :twisted:
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:20 am

Give the bard/warlock infinite castings of the below spells based on path. Each level will bring 1-2 new spells, which will overwrite whatever the PC selects at level up. (Yes - this will limit variety between different 'locks - the bit of this I'm least happy with).
I've been thinking about this- how about at level 15 and 26 or so, a warlock can choose a spell not from the list and add those to their repertoire?

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:04 am

Realoms wrote:I've been thinking about this- how about at level 15 and 26 or so, a warlock can choose a spell not from the list and add those to their repertoire?
Is there any fiendlock that wouldn't take Haste?
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:26 am

I personally would rather take improved invisibility.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Bones Mist and Moons
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Bones Mist and Moons » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:10 pm

I got a suggestion...

If our Eldritch Blast has a chance of missing now because of the Ranged Touch Attack, could I have a chance to be a Critical Hit? I mean if our character can 'aim' shouldn't he able to set off that eldritch blast right between your eyes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_LxyhCJpsM :P

If we roll a 1 on that RTA we automatically miss, even if our bonuses are good enough to still beat their Touch AC. If rolling a 1 is a guaranteed miss, it feels like if we roll a 20 we should crit. I wouldn't suggest it if the miss didn't also make our spells fail. If my fiendlock casts Fear at a target and I roll a 1, not only do I not do damage but I don't get the effect of my spell to control the crowd.
Don't use cross-area parties and -dispel while idle. Every bit of lag less is a penny in my therapy jar.

Bones - Necromancy, Life, Death, Creation, Time.
Mist - Mystery, Secrecy, Mysticism, Beauty.
Moons - Light, Dark, Space, Magic, Travel.

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:33 pm

Crits are, in fact, possible now

Confirmed via combat log
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

Ecstatic

Post by Ecstatic » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:27 pm

And if you want to be sure your AoE crowd control spell hits, target the ground. You forego the damage component, but guarantee you aren't going to miss.
TANSTAAFL

Bones Mist and Moons

Post by Bones Mist and Moons » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Oh, that works. o.0
Don't use cross-area parties and -dispel while idle. Every bit of lag less is a penny in my therapy jar.

Bones - Necromancy, Life, Death, Creation, Time.
Mist - Mystery, Secrecy, Mysticism, Beauty.
Moons - Light, Dark, Space, Magic, Travel.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:35 am

Out of curiousity, as have never played a warlock, especially havent tried the new one.

A level 30 warlock will have all the spells listed in the first page that are in his domain (fey/fiend etc). Or he'll have like 6 different spells, and have to overwrite old ones to grab newer ones?

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:48 am

The idea, I believe is that they have all of them.