Warlocks

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Warlocks

Post by Mithreas » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:23 am

Hm - that's possible! And would make sense given the spell type. You should charm them and then pickpocket them... :)

I fixed a bug the other day where NPCs would rest and clear themselves of bad states mid combat, so if you were testing before then, you'd've found it worked much worse.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Vandria Gilmadrith

Post by Vandria Gilmadrith » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:28 am

I have never gotten Charm to work successfully in nwn period. I know i was semi curious and cast it on another player i have been playing with. in friendly it just made the AI take over and they just stood there. when hostiled to them, the AI took over and tracked me down. (so no 50% happier event with PC's) (note: this did not auto-hostile the "friendly" PC). I have also noted that using "charm person" on a merchant does not increase their reputation with you at all nor change prices sold or purchased from merchant like nwn wiki says it should.

I remember when i last played on a hack and slash server there was something odd with charm spells where they did not work. This was due to a "reputation" issue with factions. (this may be way off but it was how i recall it being explained) that hostile factions are set at "-100" so a 50% increase only makes them "-50" but since your still negative they are still hostile. So the charm spell effectively had no purpose.

Now arelith has a whole load of custom scripting done so I have no idea if any of the above is applicable on Arelith or even post 1.69.

I know someone else mentioned removing the Hit Dice cap from sleep (this would be awesome) and perhaps for daze as well? I know for my lvl 7 warlock i'm using both those spells to use blast even though they have no effect on the creatures i'm casting them on which is sad.

One other potential bug note? For Tasha's if the creature is immune to tasha's (mind immune?) then they are also not taking the blast damage. however the same creatures (spiders for example) will take blast damage from sleep or daze even though they still can not be effected by the mind based spells.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:18 pm

I'm updating Daze and Sleep as follows.
- Daze will work on any creature with hit dice =< the caster's level (for all casters)
- Sleep will work on any creature with hit dice =< the caster's level, and will affect (caster level + d4) hit dice of creatures total. Empowered, this amount is raised by 50%, so Empowered Sleep is actually quite useful.

Note that most creatures of the same challenge rating as the caster have more hit dice, so neither spell will be especially useful in challenging areas. But this makes them more generally useful, and means that enchanters can put orcs etc to sleep while travelling if they are high enough level.

(Can someone update the spell mods wiki page?).

Re charm - our spells still use EffectCharmed. http://www.nwnlexicon.com/index.php?title=EffectCharmed suggests it actually increases personal reputation by 100 - but attacking other members of the faction would lower personal reputation again. NWN factions aren't very easy to use, I have to admit...
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Would using empower spell also increase the damage of the warlock blast?

one day remains

Post by one day remains » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm pretty sure the way mith implemented it means that the warlock damage is unaffected by metamagic as it is only applied by the spell, rather than affected by it.

So I'd assume maximised and empowered don't affect damage.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Charm is, indeed, pretty much completely useless on Arelith.

I experimented with it on an enchanter. On hostile mobs, it would wear off in basically no time whatsoever (i.e. I seem to recall it lasting, maybe, half a round? Tops?) On players, hilariously, it would turn them hostile and then force them to attack me! I nearly died once, because I successfully charmed someone.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:56 pm

Pepper, when did you last test? Because I made quite a lot of adjustments to Charm over the years (some time last year, to remove charm spells from the list of hostile spells that trigger the AI to set you to hostile, and a few weeks ago to stop them resting and removing it).

Correct, Empower/Maximise do nothing to blast damage.

Faye

Post by Faye » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:23 pm

I remember a character of mine being charmed and not turning hostile, and if I remember correctly, it was one of Peppermint's characters doing the charming! I also remember not long ago casting charm and not causing hostilities on PC's.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

Bones Mist and Moons
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Bones Mist and Moons » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:38 pm

It'd be kind of cool if casting Charm Person on an NPC Vendor got you lower prices. Haha!
Don't use cross-area parties and -dispel while idle. Every bit of lag less is a penny in my therapy jar.

Bones - Necromancy, Life, Death, Creation, Time.
Mist - Mystery, Secrecy, Mysticism, Beauty.
Moons - Light, Dark, Space, Magic, Travel.

Yellena

Post by Yellena » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:58 am

Love to see some Sleep buff! It's great for pacific chars.
All versions are updated or only warlock's?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:01 am

All versions.

Roketter

Post by Roketter » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:14 am

The only thing i´d request is at least one more healing spell for the feylocks... the cantrip takes forever to use, it´s quite a chore :D

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:03 pm

So my maths may be a bit off here, and understanding that NwN does not like halves for damage and so on, I've a series of questions I've not been high enough level to answer yet...

Average for a warlock's icestorm goes from 45 (at level 30 it's 15d6) to 45 +60 so approx. 105 (doubled to account for haste)?
Using 2x a normal spell (via haste) would = about 120ish damage a round to a single target?
This seems off, but I make no claim to any numerical prowess (as I've proven on every iteration of the forums).

The stats Yellena posted were for all the following sources: Gate (spell), the final summon creature and G. Conj. focus, and Epic BG summon?
G. Conj. affects warlock summons as normal but boosting summons up one level?

Warlock physical and elemental DR does stack with other sources? (It should, but just for clarification by someone with it, I'll ask)

one day remains

Post by one day remains » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Because there's no involvement of the number 0 in the damage calculation (1,2,3,4,5,6) The average damage for a d6 is actually 3.5. So when you multiply that by 15 you have an average of 52 a spell damage.

As with the above a d4 is actually 2.5 (1,2,3,4). So for a 30th level warlock the damage would be 30 multiplied by 2.5 and thus would be on average 75.

These two damage types are "mostly" unavoidable (dr affects the bludgeoning damage from ice storm and elemental shields the cold) when you bring haste into the equation (again assuming the character lacks the above two resistances/reductions) You'd have 254 unavoidable damage.

Having tested the G.Conj. the summons are increased by one level, yes. So summon 1 becomes a Quasit/Imp. Summon 2 a Succubus/Erinyes. Summon 3 a Vrock/???. Summon 4 a Greater Vrock/???. Summon creature 5 the gate balor/pitfiend. Summon creature 6 an improved gate balor lord/pitfiend.

As far as the natural elemental/physical damage reduction is concerned. As it's likely on a hide item it stacks with feats and spell affects. It doesn't stack with items, however.
Last edited by one day remains on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mdiddy

Post by Mdiddy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:41 pm

one day remains wrote:As far as the natural elemental/physical damage reduction is concerned. As it's on a hide item it stacks with feats and spell affects.
You can confirm this without doubt?

one day remains

Post by one day remains » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:48 pm

I'd assume, with a fair amount of certainty, that the warlock reductions are on a PC Hide item. This would make them non-stackable with items (as it's already on an item and these properties override rather than working additively like damage resistance) but stackable with everything else.

That being said, I only assume they're on a PC Hide and cannot without confirmation from Mith etc say that it's 100% the case.
Last edited by one day remains on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Correct.

Mindcraft

Post by Mindcraft » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:54 pm

The damage reduction ought to stack with the 10% immunities shield, helmets and armor can provide, which isn't entirely insignificant!
A bird sings not because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.

one day remains

Post by one day remains » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:03 pm

The feats obviously stick to their normal limits. An example of the resistances would be as below

So a level 30 Fiendlock with:
Warlock elemental resistance: acid (15/--) (item prop)
Resist element: acid (5/--) (feat)
Epic elemental resistance: acid II (20/--) (feat)
Resistant essence: Acid (5/--) (item prop)

Would only get the Warlock resistance and Epic elemental resistances (making their base reduction 35/--) due to the prior mentioned overriding nature of reductions; despite that being the case these resistance would also stack with the energy buffer line of spells.
Mindcraft wrote:The damage reduction ought to stack with the 10% immunities shield, helmets and armor can provide, which isn't entirely insignificant!
It does indeed stack, damage immunity is taken into account before damage resistance/reduction also so you get a larger amount taken off before it hits you.

Avelia

Post by Avelia » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:35 pm

All fixed on my end now! thanks!

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Can you restate that so I can effectively copy/past this into the Wiki so people can understand how the mechanics work :)
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:47 pm

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_resistance should help.

So... a level 21 Warlock gets 5/- physical resistance from their Warlock 20 boon. That is applied as an item property. If they also had Epic DR I (3/- physical), the two stack, and they have 8/- DR. If you had an old Archer's Belt (item that gives 5/- piercing) it wouldn't help you, as it wouldn't stack with the Warlock 20 boon - you would still have 8/- to piercing.

This damage resistance also stacks with damage reduction from Ghostly Visage, Stoneskin etc.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Was FL's warlock to be changed to this as well?
I'd think it'd be fine with the old warlock tbh, maybe. Though I've only really talked to one other person who played a warlock on Fl, they seemed to think that it was alright as it was, for FL itself.
I think that's what they thought at least, the PC certainly seemed to be fairly powerful as other high leveled ones.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:52 pm

It will change, but has not changed yet.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Mithreas wrote:(Can someone update the spell mods wiki page?).
http://wiki.arelith.com/Spell_changes#C ... ual_Spells
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill