New Craftable Potions

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cortex

New Craftable Potions

Post by Cortex » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:05 am

More diversity to cooking and potion brewing, and probably more ingredient types:

Greater Barkskin Potion(+4 AC)
1 Dragon blood
2 Spider silk
1 Hardwood
1 Blood of a magic creature
1 Glass bottle

Potion of Warding
1 Glass Bottle
1 skeleton knuckle
1 holy water
2 fruit

Potion of [all the ability buffs]
Feather(dex)
Iron chunk(strength)
???(endurance)
Phenalope dust(charisma)
???(intelligence)
???(wisdom)

Potion of Stoneskin
1 Granite
1 Hardwood
1 Glass bottle

Potion of Energy Buffer/Protection from Elements
1 Fire Opal Dust
1 Diamond Dust
1 Glass bottle

Potion of Freedom of Movement
4 Berries
10 Spider silk
2 King's Crown
???
1 Glass bottle

Potion of Ultravision
3 Fruits
1 Eye of something(new item)
1 Glass bottle

Potion of Shield
1 Fire Agate Dust
2 Blood of a magic creature
1 Glass bottle
:)

Sazu

Re: New Craftable Potions

Post by Sazu » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:38 am

I am totally opposed to most of these(in fact, all of them). My character gives up XP and gold to brew most of these potions for sale.

Why should someone who cooks be able to make for free what my character has to make sacrifices to create? Unfair.

I don't see it happening. Just saying.

I'd rather see potions that provide something fresh and unable to simply do what wizards have to give up xp and gold to do.

With that in mind, here it goes:

Nutty Brew-DC 8- 5 craft points
Increases sleep stat by 25(so you can RP without having to interrupt with rest), also removes the effects of sleep deprivation
2 water
2 nuts

Power Water- DC 10- 8 craft points
Increases drink stat by 35(Which makes it better than typical water, meaning you need to hold less)
2 water
2 salt

Fruit Smoothie- DC 10- 8 craft points
A liquid drinkable food source. Increases food by 15
2 water
2 fruit
2 berries

Charcoal(as an antitoxin)- DC 20- 40 craft points
Removes effects of poisons from people and drinking spots
2 coal
5 softwood
2 clay

Sleeping Aid- DC 20- 30 craft points
Decreases Sleep stat by 25 without affect to sobriety
1 belladonna
10 water(to mimic the diluting of the belladonna)

These are the type of cooking recipes I'd have. The ones above I made can certainly be useful, and can be sold by cooks, allowing characters to sell products better than those found in NPC shops.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:04 am

Why should someone who cooks be able to make for free what my character has to make sacrifices to create? Unfair.
Investing crafting points, obtaining the resources and crafting them sounds all very free.

Plus, what wizard brews any of the aforementioned potions anymore? Stat boost potions are overpriced and cost ineffective with the feat, NEP is cleric only, barkskin is druid only, potion of shield can be bought, protection from elements is very rare and so is ultravision, due to having other means other than potions. Stoneskin and Freedom of Movement are limited to wands only.

Sazu

Post by Sazu » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:45 am

Actually Ultravision is one of my main sellers.

The potions that can be crafted already by casters should be brewed BY casters.

So the wizard that sells those... is well... mine.

But more than that... the ingredients used seem more alchemy than cooking. Cooking uses edible ingredients... I don't see fire agates as an edible substance

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:46 am

You'd be surprised what goes into certain cooking recipes.

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by grip » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:29 am

I think it is a stellar idea. Anything that makes folks less dependent on UMD is aces in my book.
Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:46 am

I'm a little suspicious that Sazu is only saying you shouldn't be able to brew more potion types so he can monopolize the market with his wizard ( :P ), but he does make a good point or two.

More potions might be nice, it would offer diversity and immersion, not to mention a bit more independence to non magic folk. But the cooking skill is just that, cooking. Sorry to say this, but magic should belong to the realm of magic, as in Alchemy or the brew potion feat.

What Sazu suggested though makes sense, the ability to create "brews" (a lot like brewing ale, stew or other types of concoctions) that have a similar effect to lower magical spells, such as the ability to purge poison, sounds nifty.

Why not do this though: Add "Brewed potions" that do non magic related things and add a new list of craftable magic potions that Alchemists can create. As Sazu pointed out, wizards need to imbue their life essence to potions to make them work...well, why not add an ingredient item called "Essence gems", that only magic users can create by sacrificing a bit of their XP and gold?

If the Developers are willing to add a few more craftable, consumable items into the list, then this warrants further analysis.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Sazu

Post by Sazu » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:19 am

I don't mind seeing cooking recipes that provide benefits... but simply tacking on spell caster benefits ruins the business casters could have.

Not everyone should have access to everything a caster does, thus completely negating the need for casters at all.

The whole reason my caster brews potions of these types is because not everyone has UMD, but anyone(except Kensai) can drink a potion. I even bottled flame weapons and magic weapons. I'm surprised I'm the only one who thought to brew so many different types of potions.

You'd be surprised how helpful a balagharn's iron horn can be in bottled form.

What I'd wish is that the crafting matrix provided items that can't easily be found or produced by classes in game. Essences, the many dangerous poisons cooks can concoct, items.

I'd rather see potions or cooking recipes that maybe create a slime summons, or something summoned that can't be done with spells. Maybe make a copy of one's self with a single hit point as a decoy. Polymorph that turns you into something completely different than any thing the spells can accomplish. One that gives you temporary immunity to KD.

Things like that. The recipes I created above can't be bought from shops, with the exception of neutralize poison.

But likewise, each recipe I thought up can be actually cooked using those ingredients. Charcoal is made using similar or like ingredients. Nuts can replace the coffee bean for the brew. Belladonna is in fact used as a sedative. Gatorade is known to be better at hydrating than water and utilizes electrolytes(ie salt).

Most of your potions have little to nothing to do with the ingredients that create them. How does drinking spider silk give someone freedom of movement? Why does it do this? How does fire agate dust equate with shield?

Even in the alchemy matrix, at least the gems associated with essences provide a means to understand it's making through colors, ie ruby for fire, emerald for acid, sapphire for electricity.

Also how high would the DC be? How many crafting points? Would these be easy to make, so someone can make ten in one sitting?

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:37 am

Same reason drinking spider silk gives me barkskin, iron gives me resistance against poison, holy water gives me clarity, and skeleton knuckles give me death armor.

All the potion examples I made are less strange than the current ones. You should probably look it over.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:42 am

Also how high would the DC be? How many crafting points? Would these be easy to make, so someone can make ten in one sitting?
This doesn't need to be given in a suggestion, because DC and CP are completely determined by the price of the item, not set independently for every item by the devs.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:57 am

I fully approve this idea... signing under it both hands and feet!

Adding new potions to the Cooking discipline and allowing to make more craftable Consumables would not only add more incentive for trade focused characters but would also bring a more dynamic economy to the server (mats buying for consumables crafters etc..).

I understand Your concern Sazu but please note that a crafter would have to:
1) Be appropriate level to have enough skill points
2) invest points,
3) gather materials,
4) use their crafting points to make a (set of) potions from the limited list available
5) Profit

Whereas a mage with the Brew Potion feat:
1) Buy bottles from vendor
2) cast a spell from their HUGE list of available spells
3) Profit!
A mage is a clear winner here. No need to gather mats, no need of any certain level, no limit of crafting points per day, capable of producing almost any potion.. anywhere on demand.

Now why do we not see every mage with a Craft Potion feat.. there are two reasons:
1) XP loss associated with the potion crafting (even 12xp per potion can quickly add up if making sets of 10 potions)
2) Wands are more efficient .. in all cases (charges, inventory space, xp loss when producing)

So considering that good 70% of the server population has UMD access there's simply no sense for a mage to produce potions if he can make wands (and sell them) far more efficiently.

Why to put Potions into Cooking instead of Alchemy?
Quite simple.. the Alchemy is already overloaded with consumables (Skleens, Gonne shots, Essences, Spell components) and is currently THE BEST money making crafting discipline You can go with. Adding to that additional (useful) consumables would simply mean everyone would want to be an alchemist on the server and make their own consumables 24h/day.

As for the recipes You proposed I think those would stand as a simple placeholders in the crafting book.. same as Ironguts potions or the Portal lenses recipes which we currently have. There would no sense in crafting them as You would not find a buyer for those items (better water? why would I want to buy it for 15 - 30 gp if I can just buy a water bottle for 4 gp). The only thing which would remotely useful.. is the Sleeping Aid You proposed.. but to make it worthwhile to make it would have to cost less then a bottle of Spirit You can buy from a vendor!

If Your adding consumables.. remember for them to work they have to be either High Demand items (Zoo stats, invisibility etc..) or something which would provide (useful) modifications for the equipment (appearance, stats).
That's how the consumables market roll in all of MMO games You will play.

Sazu

Post by Sazu » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:15 pm

I think you mean RPG. There's a HUGE difference between craptastic MMO's and immersive RPGs... lol

Oh yeah... you're mistaken about the cooking recipes I made not being needed.

First off, there's a post in the suggestion thread for liquid food(which completely justified my fruit smoothie)

Someone mentioned coffee before as well, which game me the idea to suggest the Nut Brew

Not every character can lift a ton(which is why they would in fact pay for better drinking water)

Kensais can't use magical items to get rid of poisons and diseases(so the charcoal would also have a use)

Also that stuff about cooking not having any business is a complete fabrication. Healing packs sell like hotcakes

Edited: Also that stuff about cooking not having business is a complete and utter lie.

Healing packs sell like hot cackes

Lenses are sold by shops cause they're made free and they are always cheaper than shop lenses.

So your logic is sort of flawed when it comes to my items not being needed. And I bet if they were available we'd see some baristas that make smoothies, and sell power waters.

Sazu

Post by Sazu » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:42 pm

And you forget Miesny, cooking produces Healing packs, the most sold item in Arelith.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:45 am

Hi Sazu thanks for Your opinions but I think You misunderstood what I was trying to say in my post.
Sazu wrote: Oh yeah... you're mistaken about the cooking recipes I made not being needed.

First off, there's a post in the suggestion thread for liquid food(which completely justified my fruit smoothie)

Not every character can lift a ton(which is why they would in fact pay for better drinking water)
I never said they would be not needed.. I would greatly welcome any RP-assiting craftable items. I am just saying they would never work in their proposed version. As a crafter character You would not find a stable demand for those items - meaning they would share the same fate as the craftable Ironguts and Portal Lenses - they would never be made and would just end up cluttering the craftables tree even more. For a consumable item to work in a MMO or a RPG-focused MMO (as Arelith is) there has to be a continuous demand for it.
As for the liquid food there is already a way to make it without the need of adding anything to the craft matrix - craft a travel provision, rename it to "Orange juice bowl" and You have it.

As for the craftable improved water, a stack of 10 water potions weights.. 1 lbs. For the Clarified water to work as a sellable consumable it would have to beat the normal water by far with its usability. I think a better idea for that would be something like this:

Code: Select all

New Purified Water
Type: Fixture, model-barrel (stackable in inventory)
Weight in inventory: 5 lbs

Abilities:
One-time use fixture (non-picakble after placing, despawns when the owner character leaves area)

After placement the fixture spawns an intractable barrel which any character can use (5 use charges).

Using the purified water barrel increases water level of a character by 50% plus casts a 10 round Regeneration(+6hp/round) spell on the using character (a check would be needed to ensure only one regeneration effect can affect a char from the barrel).

Materials needed:
Water x10
Hardwood x2
Iron Ingot x2
Holy Water x1
What would it bring?
A consumable fixture which can be used to promote RP with other chars. A consumable which would be in constant demand from the playerbase. A method to heal Your character in non-combat situation (regeneration is slow) leaving the Healing Kits for combat situations and the purified water barrels for when Your group is recovering after a fight.

Sazu wrote: Kensais can't use magical items to get rid of poisons and diseases(so the charcoal would also have a use)
I thought that's the issues You have to cope with when playing a Kensai.. You know "with great power comes great responsibility" stuff :D
Sazu wrote: Also that stuff about cooking not having any business is a complete fabrication. Healing packs sell like hotcakes

Lenses are sold by shops cause they're made free and they are always cheaper than shop lenses.
I am not saying cooking doesn't allow You to make money, every trade discipline does that. I am just saying that Cooking - as a consumable focused discipline is in a land far far away from Alchemy our second consumable focused discipline. And the reason for that is because Cooking allows You to earn money only on Healing Kits, whereas Alchemy has many consumables which are in constant demands and on top of that You can get a much better income of those items then Healing Kits.

With the recent changes to recipes for bottles and potions it may be better but still in cooking there are only few potions which are truly useful and spam-craftable (Barkskin, Antidode, Clarity, Sweetberry).
What I am saying is Cooking should become the alternative for vendor selled Zoo potions.. even better it should totally replace that. It would make the Cooking discipline on par with Alchemy and would drive a dynamic market of consumables.